PDA

View Full Version : Motionbuilder vs Lightwave

drfoley
03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Hey guys,

Is Motionbuilder being used in your pipelines or do you guys just animate with Lightwave alone? I have an older version of Motonbuilder and wanted your opinions on if you think its easier to animate with Motionbuilder or without it using LW alone.

Thanks

Ryan Roye
03-09-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't have experience with motion builder so I can't give any comparisons there.

Nearly all of my projects were made almost entirely with Lightwave's IKBooster. Sample work. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjpERz6kBgk)

nickdigital
03-09-2013, 07:41 PM
I think Motionbuilder is more for dealing with mocap and not so much for keyframe animation. So the comparison isn't really apples to apples.

But you could use both together. Edit your mocap in MB and export it to Layout.

jasonwestmas
03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
The idear of motion builder and programs like it is to usually to start off with some mocap and then add layers of editing on top of it and change it in a flexible manner. So there is keyframing involved in motion builder, it's designed to do that quite well, but not so much from scratch necessarily.

LW_Will
03-10-2013, 12:23 AM
I've used Motion Builder for keyframe animation, and mocap, and I've also used LW for keyframe.

I absolutely love MB for animation. It is really designed for animation. It is light, responsive... a very good tool. ONCE you actually get the characters into the program.

Now, the latest version of MB is ALLOT easier to deal with... especially if you are using FBX. FBX, which I used to think wasn't an interchange format... actually IS an exchange format. :shrug: But if you do animation in MB and come out with FBX, makes the transfer to LW much easier.

But with IKBooster, you can easily make changes to mocap in LW. So, I'm looking at different ways of doing animation.

colkai
03-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Can't speak for LW11.5 as I don't have it, (I have MB5.5 and use it with), but for older LW versions, Motionbuilder beats it hands down for ease of animation. It is very easy to build up layers of animation and overlapping sub actions and build a "story". It it sort of a "one-trick" pony but does that trick very well indeed and does handle keyframes as well as mocap data as I have used keyframe layers over mocap in the past. I don't know how close Genoma brings LW to MB, but I'd be surprised if it was on a complete par with it, others could give you more insight I would think.

drfoley
03-10-2013, 12:11 PM
LW_Will: What version of MB are you using and how do you get your characters in and out of MB? I gave up on Lightwave when I couldn't get ClothFX to work. So I stopped using MB as well. Had problems with fingers staying in place and MB crashing alot. If I get the newest version of MB it Had best work properly. Hopefully LW 11.5 Cloth works. Haven't tried it yet.

Colkai: Hey dude. Havent heard from you in awhile. We use to talk about the LW to MB to LW pathway. If LW 11.5 Cloth works than I will start using them both again.

LW_Will
03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
LW_Will: What version of MB are you using and how do you get your characters in and out of MB? I gave up on Lightwave when I couldn't get ClothFX to work. So I stopped using MB as well. Had problems with fingers staying in place and MB crashing alot. If I get the newest version of MB it Had best work properly. Hopefully LW 11.5 Cloth works. Haven't tried it yet.

Well, I strated with version 5.5ba (Before Autodesk)... it was a total hell to get an object from LW to MB. Now, its almost simplicity itself; LW=>FBX=>MB=>(very easy)Characterize=>Animate=>FBX=>LW.

As for ClothFX, I've been able to use that function since 9.5. I'd say, if its for a cape or clothing, you might want to look at soft body Bullet FX. Very nice.

colkai
03-12-2013, 04:24 AM
Colkai: Hey dude. Havent heard from you in awhile. We use to talk about the LW to MB to LW pathway. If LW 11.5 Cloth works than I will start using them both again.

Hiya, yep, been out of it for a long time, finding time to pop in now and again for now. :)

PeteS
03-12-2013, 08:24 AM
LW and MB play quite nice with each other...once you figure it out. I use the Craig Monins "Rhiggit" rig. It's wonderful for getting a rig into MB and back, but it also comes with a very robust deformer rig built onto the MB rig in LW. Giving your much more advanced deformations. Basically, you export your set up MB rig from LW to MB. Characterize it. Do your animations. Then merge back "motions only" to your advanced mocap rig in LW (the one with the extra deformer rig on top of it). Boom. Done. And BTW, Rhiggit comes with a normal LW keyframe rig too, if you want to go by hand. Best of all, rigging a character takes only a few minutes to have an extremely advanced FK/IK rig. Which is perfect for me, cause my heart and head are not into rigging characters, so this has been a life saver.
Here is a mocap rig animation we did: https://vimeo.com/59528401
Here is a hand animated character using it we did: https://vimeo.com/52253065

Best of luck!
P

Greenlaw
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
We use MB for our 'Brudders' shorts, mainly for retargeting iPi Mocap Studio 2 data to LightWave rigs imported to MB as FBX, and then for making cleanups and edits. Since you can bring in your LightWave scene camera and any props/scene proxies via FBX, it's quite nice for doing final animations for your shots. When I'm done, I bake my keys and save a 'motion' FBX for LightWave. Then, in LightWave, I transfer the edited motions onto my original LightWave rigged character, add my light kit and render--easy peasy!

Eventually, my wish is to go directly from iPi Mocap Studio 2 to LightWave--iPi MS2 has built-in re-targeting but very minimal animation tools, and LightWave has no re-targeting but fairly decent animation tools--but LightWave still falls short of MB when it comes to flexibility--MB's Layers and Takes systems encourages experimentation and variations of animation without being destructive to the base animation.

That said, I prefer LightWave 11.5's BulletFX for animating character hair, clothing, and accessories--it's easy to use and it looks awesome!

For just about everything else, I still enjoy animating in LightWave--it's easy and straightforward. RHiggit and Genoma is going to make CA in LightWave a lot more fun too.

G.

The Wizzard
05-23-2014, 11:27 AM
I finally did a tutorial on: "Lightwave to MotionBuilder and Back again "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eju1edD7k0A

I hope it helps some of you :)

tyrot
07-17-2014, 12:55 PM
thanks so much for tutorial...the wizzard:)

The Wizzard
02-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I hope this helps a few people... I have a new tutorial up: Lightwave to MotionBuilder & Back Again 2 - Multiple Characters!

http://3ative.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/new-tutorial-lightwave-to-motionbuilder.html