PDA

View Full Version : Export STL for LightWave 11.5

ConjureBunny
03-08-2013, 07:53 PM
This is an lscript that will help you print STL files, directly from LightWave3D. That's the format that a lot of 3D printers use.

From the Read Me:

This was originally written by Sean Hyde-Moyer (Copyright 2003), and I left his copyright in the script.

I modified it to address a few extremely trivial (but showstopper) changes in lscript that made it not work on my Mac, in LightWave 11.5.

I also changed the name so it looks right alongside the other export options in Modeler.

If you have a 3D printer, or access to one, please try this out and let me know if it works.

http://www.liberty3d.com/Artists/Videos/Chilton/ExportSTL.zip

Thanks!
-Chilton Webb

RonB
03-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the re-write! Will it run on earlier versions or just 11.5?
I occasionally use the original's not to export but to bring in CAD models...still works if a bit slow and clunky.
But I really prefer running the models through another program to convert them to OBJ's.

Been thinking of having one or two models output as 3D objects though...when I can afford and justify the expense.

Cheers,
RonB

ConjureBunny
03-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Well, I actually rewrote this for 9.6, because it wasn't working there.

But the most recent changes I made were in 11.5, and I never got around to testing it in 9.6 again.

It probably works just fine though.

-Chilton

sublimationman
03-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Chilton, I am on a Mac and while it does export the resulting stl crashes Slic3r and I think I know why. I tried to load the stl into another program (Repetier Host) and thought it did not work as I could not see anything. Turns out it was there but microscopic in size.

I made the model to print at 6" long but had to scale it at around X1000 to get it to the proper size. I had the same issue with the older plug-in and stopped using it.

Is there a way to as a size or scale to it? I think it's a matter of it saving as inches but all the printer software work in mm so when I create something that is 6" in lightwave it comes out as 6mm. This is just a guess but it may not fully make since since x1000 brings it to the right size

ConjureBunny
03-08-2013, 11:40 PM
That's really interesting. Thinking back on it, I had problems with that as well, but the guy doing the printing was able to compensate for it. I'll take a look!

-Chilton