PDA

View Full Version : "Mot-ify" -- well known??

jeric_synergy
03-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Is the utility "Mot-ify Delete Keys" well known???

Greenlaw
03-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I've been using it for many years but, yes, I'm surprised by the number of users I've encountered who are unaware of it. I use it mainly to clear motions on selected items or an entire scene. I think part of the problem was that it didn't used to appear in the menus by default, you had to add it yourself.

G.

erikals
03-08-2013, 07:29 PM
plus it is 32bit only... so it gets less users.

http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/mot-ify

Greenlaw
03-09-2013, 04:46 AM
You must be thinking of the old third party version.

I run the current native version in x64 Lightwave. It's been native and x64 compatible for some time now.

G.

Greenlaw
03-09-2013, 04:53 AM
I like to add it down here under the Modify tab and rename the button Delete Motion Keys:

For some reason I thought they finally put it in the menus but apparently not. IMO, they should add this button permanently. But I think it appears in one of the mouse menus.

G.

Greenlaw
03-09-2013, 05:00 AM
There was another thread about the topic only a couple of weeks ago:

Delete All Motion Paths (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133324-Delete-all-motion-paths&highlight=motify)

G.

jeric_synergy
03-09-2013, 10:14 AM
plus it is 32bit only... so it gets less users.
This is wrong: it is part of the standard NewTek 64 bit distro.

MENUS: it was in my menus, someplace I would have never thought to look, so it must be in the Studio Presets. Since it totally and transparently does what the regular DELETE KEYS does, but better and has more options, i simply replaced DELETE KEYS on the Delete key so it always comes up.

And YES, NewTek should simply make it the default. ---And change that stupid stupid stupid name, which makes it harder to locate than it should be.

lino.grandi
03-10-2013, 06:24 AM
NewTek should simply make it the default. ---And change that stupid stupid stupid name, which makes it harder to locate than it should be.

I tend to agree on this.

djwaterman
03-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Nope, never seen it before in my life until today.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Nope, never seen it before in my life until today.
"Protect Frame Zero" is especially convenient (especially for character animators), but it has all sorts of virtues. And the beauty thing is you do not HAVE to use them: in default mode it's just the same as "Delete Key". So it's a transparent replacement.

But it has IKB like 'relationship' settings which allow you to delete keys of all descendents too. Again, nice for character animation.

(I'll be darned if I can determine what its parent FILE is....)

EDIT: damn, that name just MAKES things more difficult: it's under "Mot-ify" in the Menu/hotkey editors, but "Motify" in the dox (p. 258). Soooo stupid. "Delete PLUS" would have been a much better name.

Hopefully the genius who originally named it is hanging his head in shame. :devil:

"Mot-ify". FFS. 8~

Greenlaw
03-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Instead of berating the NewTek programmer who created this wonderful tool, you could try asking politely for a name change. Programmers have feelings too you know. :)

jeric_synergy
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but they are the WRONG feelings.

And does that extend to Microsoft's abominations?

Silkrooster
03-11-2013, 12:40 AM
How on earth does anyone have wrong feelings? It may be a misjudgement, but feelings are feelings.

Spinland
03-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Hmm. i took that comment as completely tongue-in-cheek.

Greenlaw
03-11-2013, 12:04 PM
In my experience, negative criticism, even when it's meant in good humor, is never very effective in motivating a person to consider a request. In fact, it's more likely to make the person lose interest in you altogether and move onto something else. Just sayin'. :hey: