PDA

View Full Version : LW and XSI, can i work with both?

BnE
11-06-2003, 10:22 AM
hi, my problem is the following. i'd like to model in LW, then rig and animate in XSI then get back in LW for texturing, lighting and rendering... is it possible? and if it is, what are the tools i should use and what is the process?
thanx!

Dodgy
11-06-2003, 05:39 PM
If you're going to go to xsi, their renderer Mental ray is very nice (possibly better than LW's, shhhh, don't tell anyone I told you that!). I just say it because it might be easier rather than going out then back into LW if you really have to go into XSI!

Right hemisphere has deep exploration which will convert between the two. It's a little bit pricey, but it does most other 3d formats too, and will convert weight mapped bones and other animation stuff as well as just the objects and textures etc.

www.righthemisphere.com

I own it for going between LW and maya and it's quite satifactory.

If you don't go back into LW, you could possibly export from LW to .obj format, which XSI reads...

Valter
11-06-2003, 07:49 PM
I'm learnning xsi and I can say for you that modeling and rigging on xsi is great, easy, pretty fantastic. But unfortunately xsi don't have a good procedurals to work your surface. So I'm using LW to make textures and background and bake them and go back to xsi and mapping UV.

I'm very happy

cheers

excuse my english

WizCraker
11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Since we are being quite I like Mental Ray also. I hope Newtek implements open archtecture for users to be able to choose if we want to use native LW render or use a third party like MR or RMan [I know there is a plugin for RIB but it just does not work as well as the interface that RenderMan has with Maya in the MTOR].

BnE
11-09-2003, 02:52 PM
woa, i thank you very much for your replies... well it seems that it's no poblem to go from LW to XSI, but can i export animations from XSI to LW. i'd like to rig and animate my characters in XSI and export animation to LW. is this possible? should the bones be baked in XSi and then exported to LW, or can i keep clear keyframes(beziers, linears...) in grapheditor... what really interest me is the rigging and animating power of XSI. i thank you again for your help.

hrgiger
11-09-2003, 04:51 PM
XSI looks like a very nice package but then it should be for $13,000.

Elmar Moelzer
11-09-2003, 09:02 PM
There is a free plugin for LW, that lets you export and import fbx- format. There is certainly one for XSi as well, but I am not sure whether it is free too.
You might be able to get your animation to LW by using that format.
Not 100% sure though.
CU
Elmar

BnE
11-10-2003, 04:18 AM
hrgiger : yep, i know but it's not a problem for me since it's just for personnal learning. this way, i'll be able to say that i can use XSI for animation...

Elmar Moelzer : thanx, i'll try that! this is cool.

if anybody has other ideas, please tell me...
thanx!