PDA

View Full Version : Diamond and Gem stones

phicol
03-06-2013, 09:01 AM
hi. how do i do the surface/texture settings to get realistic diamond and gemstone surfaces like this one:

http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/3d/mental_ray_in_3ds_max.html

if someone could guide into these kind of surfaces that would be amazing..

Thanks in advance

LWHound
03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
The article you refer to tells you al you need to know. Ok, so it's based on the 3DS Max render engine. No big deal. Just read through each section in turn and think about the surface and render options in Lightwave and 'translate' the options into the surface effects you are looking for.

I liked the black cubes idea. Never thought of that before. Certainly makes a big difference.

For me, figuring out this stuff is much more rewarding that someone saying to me "click this, do this". Then in the future, when that advisor is not at hand, I can easily fly solo.

Good luck bro. Post you results here, so we can see how you progress.

zardoz
03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
usually I would start by setting transparency to 100% and play with refraction. The trick for transparent and reflective surfaces are the surroundings so you might start with a black background and add some white polygons with luminance at 100%. move these planes to see the effect in the refraction. Then add some reflection, start with simple constant values. Again move the white planes to see the effect. Then start tweaking the reflection and refraction with some incidence gradients. If you think that the background + white planes are too simple for the refractions/reflections add some .hdr (maybe a studio setup .hdr, Matt posted a few some time ago in these forums).

JoePoe
03-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I agree with all of the above. Please read and learn from that tutorial.

That being said, this can be one of those moments where LW can give you some good results right out of the box. We're talking the allusive "one button magic" here.
1) One button gemstone primative.
2) One button Dielectric node. (requires some knowledge, but really not that complex of a material.... play with it)
3) One button HDRI image world. (make sure you use something with a lot of black to white value change.)

With just those three steps I got the result below....
(two area lights and 40 radiosity & of course caustics enabled. Light samples will most likely need to be boosted)

Of course you can tweak it forever, add reflecting geometry (like in the tutorial), add lights or adjust caustics etc. But not too bad a starting point with just three steps. :thumbsup:

daforum
03-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Cool stuff JoePoe.

Also, have a look a this: http://www.3dlapidary.com/
It's full of info on gemstones (and there are models too)

LWHound
03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Hey Phicol,

I came up with this after 10 minutes work. Not perfect. But it's a start. I enclose the models and scene for you to play with yourself.

kindest regards, LWHound.

phicol
03-07-2013, 08:59 AM
thanks for all the help guys.. thanks a lot :)

toby
03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
When someone said Caustics I thought, "that old photon technology? Do we still need that?"

Then I thought of Directional Rays in the GI panel, and wondered if it would work with raytrace refraction -

bam!!!

(1 bounce MC interp, 1280 rays, mps 0.1, maxps 1.0; 80sec. per frame)

Only way to get "caustics" from a luminous object, only way to get color variation in caustics, and you don't have to add one of the few lights that supports the old caustics.