PDA

View Full Version : HD Instance Shading

LWHound
03-06-2013, 07:12 AM
I am cloning a cylinder, with HD Instance, over a series of x-axis polygons, surfaced into a mosaic pattern

The instances render OK

and I thought to use the Raytrace surfacing node with the direction being -Y and the position to be beneath each instance to glean the colour information with which to surface each instance.

but I cannot locate an instance node for the HD Instance plugin.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this would be much appreciated.

I had previously attempted this with the DP Instance plugin. However the render time was looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong relative to HD instance (14 HOURS as against HD instance's 22 minutes!) so I abandoned that. DP instance did, however, have an instance node available (sigh)

Thanks for reading.

50one
03-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I don't think there is a nodal shading for hd instance, I might be wrong as I used the hDI like 3 or 4 years ago last time.

Simon

LWHound
03-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I don't think there is a nodal shading for hd instance, I might be wrong as I used the hDI like 3 or 4 years ago last time.

Simon

No, I think you're right Simon.

Meanwhile I managed to find a solution!

I revisited DP Instance (Denis is a genius) and used the instance node so

However, the colour was still wrong. Then, I figured it out. The instances are generated along the x-axis of the pattened polys so the ray never 'sees' the normal. So I duplicated the polys, placing them under the instances (-y axis) and voila! The ray hits the duplicate and reports back to the instance. Simply hiding the duplicate object from the camera cleaned up the act nicely.

Now to work on the surfacing some more ......

CaptainMarlowe
03-06-2013, 09:34 AM
You can do that in HD Instance only in the layered textures(there is a specific shader)