PDA

View Full Version : Classic Camera Antialias with Perspective Camera

ivanze
03-05-2013, 09:21 AM
What settings do you have to use to get the classic camera antialias with the perspective camera??

I like the look of the classic camera antialias but there are some things that don't render with the classic cam.

Greenlaw
03-05-2013, 10:24 AM
What part of the 'classic' look are you interested in? If it's AA for object edges, try setting Oversample to 0.25. By default it's 0.0 in Perspective but for Classic it's hardwired at around 0.25 or 0.3. This will make the object edges a little softer, which should help with edges that have high contrast. Also, set your Sampling Pattern to Classic.

That's about all I know on the subject. Hopefully somebody will post with additional info.

G.

ivanze
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Basically, that is what I wanted to know, AA on the object edges. Oversample was the key. Thanks a lot, Greenlaw!!!

toby
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I think using the guassian reconstruction is actually better than using oversample - tried OS in a number of instances and it just didn't help, may as well have used a blur in photoshop.

ivanze
03-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks toby, I will try that.

Greenlaw
03-12-2013, 01:02 AM
FYI, Reconstruction Filter affects the entire image; Oversample only affects the edges. In other words, we're talking about two different things.

Also, Gaussian will make the entire image a bit soft while Classic, which is what I use, might make things too sharp for some tastes. Generally speaking, this is a matter of preference except...the last time I checked, other Reconstruction Filter options besides Classic affected buffer data, making it noisy. That might not matter if you're not compositing with auxiliary buffers, and it is very possible that this is not be an issue anymore--it's been a long while since I checked on this. :)

G.

toby
03-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Yes Guassian does soften - I don't recommend it for stills, I shouldn't have assumed this was for animation. I use it to help push the image towards a feature film look.

Greenlaw
03-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Hi,

Part of what I wrote above is incorrect--I was just informed that Oversample does in fact affect the entire image when it's set high enough. I probably thought it only affected edges because that's all I ever noticed being softened, probably because of the low values I use. So, anyway, please keep that in mind.

G.

ivanze
03-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the additional info Greenlaw. Actually, I'm getting what I want with oversample around 0.8 and the settings you told me before.