PDA

View Full Version : 11.5: dynacache file not being read on scene open?

Spinland
03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
I've created a simple cloth dynamics simulation, and when I save the scene the dynacache file is being written out to the desired directory specified in the Paths settings. When I close and re-open the scene, however, the dynamics are lost, nor do they show up if I do a test render in Screamernet. Is there some setting I need to configure in the scene so it auto-loads the dynamics cache?

Many thanks in advance!

Spinland
03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Okay, the problem might not be that it's not being read, rather there's no useful information in the file. Here's the latest saved cache file; all it contains is one text acronym.

Am I not saving the cache properly, then? I'm not sure what I need to be doing to insure the calculated information gets included. Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Spinland
03-05-2013, 08:11 AM
If you don't want to bother downloading and opening the file, all you'll find is this text:

FORM DNCHVRSN

Spinland
03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Okay, I'll answer my own question: the dynacache file that's auto-saved doesn't seem to serve any purpose. If I manually save an .mdd file for the simulation that gets auto-read subsequently and used.

In my defense, the LW 10 manual does mention that you can save an .mdd, but doesn't make it clear that manual step is necessary to use the calculations externally.

Live and learn.