PDA

View Full Version : Add Replace Item to the Scene/Dope Editor Context menu

sami
03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
We can do everything else, Clone, Clear Items etc, but in the context menu in the Scene/Dope Editor we cannot Replace Item. I'd rather not move my mouse all the way to my 2nd monitor to change tabs to the Items Tab and then click Replace from there. Adding it to the right-click Context menu in the Scene Editor would be very handy.

Something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/qkQbTfn.png

jeric_synergy
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Let's go the next logical step: that whole menu should be USER CONFIGURABLE.

sami
03-05-2013, 02:28 AM
that would be nice. But I'd rather have this added than wait until it is user configurable...

And if you're going there I should be able to create buttons anywhere then - including the bottom bar of Layout

3DGFXStudios
03-05-2013, 02:43 AM
What also would be nice to have in the scene/dope editor is a null object thumbnail icon so you can see what's a NULL and what is actual geometry.

sami
03-05-2013, 02:54 AM
What also would be nice to have in the scene/dope editor is a null object thumbnail icon so you can see what's a NULL and what is actual geometry.

I agree, but that would be tricky with custom shapes in a 16x16 pixel size

jeric_synergy
03-05-2013, 09:27 AM
that would be nice. But I'd rather have this added than wait until it is user configurable...

And if you're going there I should be able to create buttons anywhere then - including the bottom bar of Layout
Doesn't bug me much, and in the long run global configurability solves ALL such problems.

Meanwhile: can you assign REPLACE to a hotkey? Menus are slow anyway.

IMO this is a work practices issue: assign an object color/have a naming convention for Nulls. :chicken:

3DGFXStudios
03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
I agree, but that would be tricky with custom shapes in a 16x16 pixel size

I don't mean a thumb nail for every object but more a different icon for a different type.(The little cubes I mean) Like bones have a little bone icon. A null looks exactly the same as geometry. It would be nice if a Null had a little cross icon.
This can help a lot if you have a scene with lots of items and you have rigs controlled by nulls for example. You would immediately see what's a controller item and what's not.

sami
03-05-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't mean a thumb nail for every object but more a different icon for a different type.(The little cubes I mean) Like bones have a little bone icon. A null looks exactly the same as geometry. It would be nice if a Null had a little cross icon.
This can help a lot if you have a scene with lots of items and you have rigs controlled by nulls for example. You would immediately see what's a controller item and what's not.

Ah, I see, for that I usually use naming conventions and name them NULL_whatever. But sometimes you get scenes set up which the nulls can't be renamed or from someone who doesn't do that - so yes that would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't bug me much, and in the long run global configurability solves ALL such problems.

Meanwhile: can you assign REPLACE to a hotkey? Menus are slow anyway.

Probably, but that doesn't help as in big scenes I'd want to quickly eyeball the scene editor hierarchy and right-click on the one I want and replace that. Keystroke doesn't make sense in this situation...

jeric_synergy
03-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Probably, but that doesn't help as in big scenes I'd want to quickly eyeball the scene editor hierarchy and right-click on the one I want and replace that. Keystroke doesn't make sense in this situation...
I respectfully disagree for the following reasons:

either method requires mouse navigation & selection but

a RMB menu requires additional mouse navigation thru a menu,
which is provably slower than hotkeys (esp if it's a left-hand-only hotkey combo*)

Just so you know I'm not simply gassin' off here. :beerchug:

And, of course IDEALLY we'd have both!

*right hand hotkey combos generally require the user to remove their hand from the mouse, slowing user-computer interaction. Not valid for lefties. ;)