PDA

View Full Version : Real Big Deal

Ulven
03-04-2013, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVW16FmHnak

This is one of these Work in Progress personal animations that have a tendency to stay on the hard drive and just get fiddled with from time to time.
Model and texture maps by Lee Perry Smith Infinite Realities LTD. http://www.ir-ltd.net/
Rigging, animation, shading and shader technical by Vegard Myklebust at useful slug. http://www.usefulslug.com
Audio from Undisputed http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281322/

The character is hand animated to the audio using a standard skeletal deformer and some custom deformers. The animation is tied to a series of texture maps with animated object space weight blending so that only a portion of the map can be faded in where needed. Color fluctuations are also in animated object space weighting to achieve differentiation of color for example on the lower lip as it gets stretched.

Ulven
03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Updated with better quality audio

djwaterman
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Keep twiddling, it's still not there yet. It feels key framed, hitting it's mark, maybe too much head movement. All the details, shading and deforms look perfect though.

LW_Will
03-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Wow...

My first thought was that it felt like Final Fantasy. You know, the multi million dollar film where they did motion capture?

I think it has a feel that is better than mocap. It has a natural feel, although not really... real, if you take my meaning. I think if you want animation of the motion of the man's head moving forward to be more... what? Precise? Accurate? Or do you want, as I think about it, you want it to look "real". You want it to have more integrety as a piece of art. If accuracy was the ONLY criteria, we would reviere only ILM and its motion suit technology. PIXAR would be a minor note, not a studio where EVERY movie they make is a blockbuster. Not a hit, mind you, a blockbuster (+$300mil).

I say amazing work. Keep it up.

Waves of light
03-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Very, very good. I agree with DJ that the keyframes looked stepped, giving it a slightly Max Headroom look... but nowhere near as bad. The texturing on his eyes really stand out and the skin shader too.

Ulven
03-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Cheers for the comments guys. The main idea is to make a believable shot, but not necessarily something that looks like a mocaped version. It's more about the acting on a subtle level. There aren't any stepped keyframes, so I'm not sure if that is a playback issue or if you're talking about something specific, could you be more specific on when in the animation you think it feels like this using the words as a reference? My problem is that I've become a bit blind to it so it's really nice to get some good comments on it but I need it to be quite specific to understand what you see and where.

Waves of light
03-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, these are just my observations, and what you've done dwarfs anything I could come up with.

Maybe stepping is the wrong word for it. I mean that the fluid motion of the facial deformations seem to be stepped/quicker/jump so that the character hits the keyframes/marks for the audio. They seem to stop and don't continue through the motion. Errrm... so it if the character was to say 'a e i o u' it would just look like he's hitting 'a e i o u' and not 'aaaa eeeee iiiiiii oooooo uuuuu'. I covered up the face and watched the animation again and the mouth movement is a lot better than the facial movement or the eyes. Maybe just smaller head and upper facial movements and more fluid deformations.

Have a look at the new Assassins Creed video - look at the pirate's facial movements (especially the close up from 1:17)
http://youtu.be/YMcMph-TW9I

Does that help?

probiner
03-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Impressive. I couldn't do something like this right now, but here's my 2cents:

Some head motions could be more fluid and oscillating/bouncy instead of poses just breaking into other poses. The "real big deal" could correspond to either more emphasized expressions, like he's telling it with on display agressiveness, os just a straight face, with some wrinkles to still show aggressiveness.

Thanks for sharing above all.
Cheers

Pamela G. Juust
03-06-2013, 06:18 PM
This is an epic piece of animation in every way. I dont agree with the comments about the animation looking too stepped. It is a question of style and i feel that fluid oscillating movements would look off in this case.
Great job!

allabulle
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Great animation!

Is it animated in LightWave? If so, could you please elaborate a bit on how you tie the skeletal animation to the textures (if it's not too intrusive of me, of course)?

rcallicotte
03-06-2013, 09:21 PM
As I said on the SetupTab forum, this is very nice and really brings home while I like learning from you and others like you there.

allabulle
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Oh, I see. It's done using Messiah. I didn't check. Again, fantastic job, Ulven!

nemac4
03-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Nice work!

The thing that jumps out at me is that he doesn't close his eyes on the opening head turn. We tend to close our eyes on quick head turns but if you slow down the movement it would be fine.

Again... great work.