PDA

View Full Version : Is there a tool in modeler that does this? Add detail to sub-d object like knife.

4dartist
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Is there a modeling tool that lets you slice a subdivided object and retains the same shape? A lot of times I have a smooth flowing object and need more geometry, then when I slice I have to spend time getting that original shape back. I use some work arounds like duplicating the area and sub-dividing it with metaform on. Still though, it's a pain.

Any tools out there or just deal with it?

hrgiger
03-04-2013, 02:21 PM
This is a pretty much deal with it unfortunately. I know Modo allows you to add in geometry and it compensates for the curvature of the subdivided object and adjusts accordingly but unless someone has written a plug-in to do this, I'm not aware of any tool in LightWave that would duplicate this behavior.

Surrealist.
03-04-2013, 09:33 PM
The best workaround I know is Smooth Scale on the new edge loop and tweak with something like dragnet or drag on points.

jwiede
03-05-2013, 04:35 AM
This is a pretty much deal with it unfortunately. I know Modo allows you to add in geometry and it compensates for the curvature of the subdivided object and adjusts accordingly but unless someone has written a plug-in to do this, I'm not aware of any tool in LightWave that would duplicate this behavior.
Actually, I seem to recall that Sensei offers a plugin that slices with a "maintain curvature" option. Pictrix might offer one as well, can't quite recall.

Sensei
03-05-2013, 04:50 AM
SwiftEdgeLoop has option to analyse mesh and divide such way that newly added cuts are smoothed, non-linear. Maintaining curvature of geometry we're cutting.
http://www.trueart.eu/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop

http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop/Graphics/SwiftEdgeLoop_Smooth_2.png

http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop/Graphics/SwiftEdgeLoop_Smooth_6.png

ConjureBunny
03-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi Ben!

There are a few ways to do this.
I prefer to work on all detail on a sub-d surface by copying everything I need to change, then one layer out from that, to a different layer.

But the end result is the same.

The line pen tool will let you slice a surface evenly without affecting surrounding geometry if you use vertex mode and go corner to corner. Same with the connect tool (same strategy, different tactic).

But my preferred method is to use Extender Plus once on the polygon (or polygons) I want to work on, then use the size tool to pull the new shape inwards. This will leave behind nice corner geometry, a boundary of quads, and takes about a half second to do ;-)

Unless I grossly misunderstood your question, all three of those should do the trick!

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
03-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Oh, I see what you mean. You want to retain that overall shape, and just walk away with the cut.

Lemme think for a minute...

ConjureBunny
03-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Okay, you want to cut the geometry as it appears in sub-D mode, resulting in an identical sub-D mesh, but with a cut across it, right? There are a few different techniques.

Which cut are you interested in...
1) A cut across all of the adjoining geometry
2) A cut across just one piece of geometry, terminating in another piece
3) A cut into a piece of geometry, not touching any other pieces
4) Something else entirely?

-Chilton

erikals
03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
the rounding looks good, but is it possible to make it more round?