PDA

View Full Version : GRRRR! G'damn MAC bugs! Gravity !?

HowardM
11-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Ok damnit, I AM REALLY SICK OF THIS CRAP!
Why cant simple things in LW be compatible between the PC and MAC!??!

For some ungodly reason, the GRAVITY motion modifier on the MAC works COMPLETELY different from the PC...WHY?!
I just freakin' wasted a weeks worth of rendering, to realize that my basketballs that were fine on a PC, are bouncing 50 feet in the air when rendered on the MAC.

This bullshiit better end with 8!
#@%%#@!!!

HowardM
11-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Scott, the new MAC guy, you see this?

Jimzip
11-09-2003, 02:18 AM
He sees it. Don't worry.
I've also had differences with many FX plugins bringing scenes from my PC at uni home to my Mac.

Hopefully they will be sorted out.

Jimzip :D

Beamtracer
11-09-2003, 03:23 AM
I never understand how there can be differences between the same scene rendered on a Mac or Windows machine.

It's not as if random numbers are generated. I thought that the processors are doing precise calculations.

How can the result of these calculations be different from machine to machine? Maybe it is a difference in the actual Lightwave code between the two platforms that results in different renderings.

Scott_NewTek
11-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
Scott, the new MAC guy, you see this?

I see a lot... :-) I was already tracking you on UseNet lists... :-)

We can look into it and see what's going on. For the most part, the algorithms are the same for virtually all of the code, PC and Mac wise. Occasionally there can be a glitch with a big-endian/little-endian situation or something low-level that we do not see until someone catches it and brings it up.

If you have a scene file you can post, and some more detail, that would be great. We can look at it better if we can reproduce it, of course.

Sorry it caught you by surprise like that.

-Scott

HowardM
11-26-2003, 10:14 AM
sorry it took so long Scott, here ya go,
simple scene (http://www.3DInk.com/bug.zip)

all 3 nulls should bounce about 6 times and come to stop in the same place.
on the mac, at frame 60 they all freak out!

Thanks for your time.

policarpo
11-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Works totally fine on the PC, but on OSX it freaks out @ frame 60.

Hrmmm....this sucks.

HowardM
11-26-2003, 10:31 AM
:dejavu:
Already sent. Thanks for testing!
This was OBVIOUSLY not tested before though, which kinda still pisses me off.
I love how smooth MACs run, and it would be nice to one day see equal programs on both platforms 99% bugfree, new and improved and now with REAL PORK flavor!! :)
:dejavu:

policarpo
11-26-2003, 10:34 AM
hear hear..and god bless competition.

:D

noiseboy
11-26-2003, 10:53 AM
not sure this is the solution but if you go to the properties of the gravity modifier and change the end frame to a higher number then the bounce goes on for as long as the new frame number.

HowardM
11-26-2003, 03:48 PM
well what does it say on your mac, because on the PC the gravity is set from 1-200.
if its changing on the MAC to 60, then thats even more lame!

noiseboy
11-26-2003, 04:38 PM
yes, you are right its showing gravity set from frame 1-60 even though when you open the scene file it quite clearly shows gravity set from 1-200, the elasticity value is not being recognised either....what chance do you have?

However if you do as I did and opened the scene file in BBedit and then saved as a mac text file, then the correct properties are preserved and the nulls bounce as expected. Its those pesky line breaks and carriage returns dont ask me why.

HowardM
11-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Thats nice....but not the solution.
do they all bounce in the Perspective view without going out of view? do they all come to a stop together?
If so, then thats a pretty simple bug that should of been forseen, I mean come on, line breaks in the scene file!? Is that always a mac/pc issue?!!?
If they bounce all over the place or dont go past 60, then that isnt the answer.

noiseboy
11-27-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by HowardM

do they all bounce in the Perspective view without going out of view? do they all come to a stop together?

Yes, they all bounce together and come together at around frame 200. I'm not sure. There are several threads on the forum offering the same sort of solution (ie changing line breaks between pc and mac).