PDA

View Full Version : Cinema Display with a PC?

Surrealist.
03-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Is anyone using one?

Way back I was taking to a salesman at an electronics store. I was promised that one could use an adapter. That stuck with me. Silly me.

Recently, I looked at one and was going to buy.

http://store.apple.com/th/product/MC007ZP/A/apple-led-cinema-display-%2827%22-flat-panel%29

The shop owner tried to present an adapter. Nope. Not the right one. I searched online people said... yeah all you need is a... and it is the wrong adapter because it need to have the male/female going in the other direction. The shop owner researched it. Nope. No adapters.

Is anyone actually using one on a PC?

If so what is the exact adapter you are using?

I am not interested in links to adapters unless you are actually using it. All of the links I have followed are the wrong adapters.

There is a shop on the first floor of my building.... so close yet so far away... I think they are very cool monitors.

vncnt
03-03-2013, 10:46 PM
You might want to take a look at the NEC MultiSync PA271W.

I connected mine via the DisplayPort to a GTX690 on a Win7/64 without any problem.

It has built-in color profiles: sRGB, Adobe RGB, DCI, DICOM, REC-BT709 and high brightness modes.
1000:1 contrast ratio, 2560 x 1440 native resolution, 300cd/m2 brightness, USB hub

Surrealist.
03-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Yeah that is an awesome monitor. Been looking at that one too. Still kind a curious about the CD because those NECs are just monsters, looking for something lighter in weight.

Spinland
03-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm given to understand these monitors use the same display panel as the ACD, are much cheaper, and come with standard connections. Might be worth a look.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2

Dexter2999
03-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I didn't see the adapter you are talking about either. All of the adpaters assume you want to connect a Mac to a third party monitor. So it is a Male Display port adapter to a Female DVI adpater that would connect to a DVI cable to a standard monitor.

You may consider adding a Mini Display coupler. To connect the adapter to the cable. (Yes, and an adapter for the adapter.)
http://tinyurl.com/cbgf42b

Of course I'm thinking this obsolete already as Apple is pushing Thunderbolt displays now. But, I hope this helps your decision making process.

And once again, "DAMN MAC FOR FIGHTING STANDARDIZATION!"

JonW
03-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Not long ago, our TV suddenly died & to keep us going I used my 24" Dell monitor, which was receiving a video signal from an old VHS recorder. DVD died as well. The audio running was running to the HiFi.

When I bought my 3008 30" monitor one of my decisions was that it must easily be used on different setups so I had redundancy. Things always break down at the worst possible time!

Good luck with your hunt for an adapter/s.

Doctor49152
03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
From what I've read there are A+ class LCD screens that Apple gets for Cinema displays. Everyone else gets the A and less quality ones. There are many companies out there that say they use the same screen as Apple and they do. Just not the same quality ones.

If you hook a Cinema display up to a PC you don't get to access the controls for the monitor. So no sound and no color control. Which is not a big deal because Most PC people have speakers and the color can be adjusted in the video card control panel.

There are a lot of monitors out there that are really just as good and much less. Also less glare as until recently Apple was putting a gloss on all their monitors.

Surrealist.
03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys.

I wasn't looking for monitor advice exactly.

But thanks for the tips just the same.

I really am curious if anyone has used on with PC or not. So far looks like not.

Damn that salesman for planting the seed!

LW_Will
03-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Doesn't a PC Video card with a Display Port (which I have) work with the Apple Cinema Display? Those are sort of cheap... I mean, if you are buying Cinema Displays...

Silkrooster
03-05-2013, 02:05 AM
That was my understanding that all or most Mac monitors connected to a display port. But my knowledge on it is slim to none.

Surrealist.
03-05-2013, 06:50 AM
I am using a laptop.

vncnt
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I really am curious if anyone has used on with PC or not. So far looks like not.

The NEC MultiSync PA271W is connected via the DisplayPort to the GTX690 in my Win7/64 PC.

The monitor comes with a male-male DisplayPort cable so I also had to order a small adapter converting from female DisplayPort to male mini DisplayPort.
Works great.

Does the ACD need more than this?

ianr
03-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Hi, I hope this can be some help
I have a 30" cinema Perspex retro style
Sitting sexy next my HK Perspex sound sticks
Resplendant on my main Glass desk with no
Probs connected to my multi-threader PC.
The solution is a special ADC custom lead by
Dr.Boot they hopefully do ones for yours
I looked on the packaging www.drbott.info
Mac looking PC's are timelessly kool some
one even remapped a mac Perspex wireless
KeyBd for me , but a kept my PC tiny mouse
Stay calm don't panic -just render & Wave on!

Surrealist.
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
The NEC MultiSync PA271W is connected via the DisplayPort to the GTX690 in my Win7/64 PC.

The monitor comes with a male-male DisplayPort cable so I also had to order a small adapter converting from female DisplayPort to male mini DisplayPort.
Works great.

Does the ACD need more than this?

The new cinema displays don't have a female input into the monitor (don't remember what the older ones had) but it has a hardwired mini port male. I need a mini port female to HDMI male to go into my laptop.

Most of the adapters assume the other direction. Mini port is always male coming from a mac to something else such as an HDMI or DVI display device of some kind.

ianr= I did not see any adapters on that site that would do it. Do yo have a specific link for fem mini port to male HDMI?

This one might do it but I am not sure:

15350 Dr. Bott Digital Video Link 27 for 27" iMac, EU 230V
27" Apple LED Cinema Display (mini DisplayPort) as a display for DVI and HDMI video sources (all Macs with DVI and any HDMI device that can be set to 720p), HDCP-compatible, supports Audio via HDMI, compatible with Apple 27" iMac (2009 or 2010)

EDIT never mind sounds like it is for 720P video only.

ianr
03-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, Shame,I think you need to get on a 'Make my PC a Mac' site
and roam their forums,somebody in Kustom stuff must
be able to help. Good Luck

ianr
03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Well, Shame,I think you need to get on a 'Make my PC a Mac' site
and roam their forums,somebody in Kustom stuff must
be able to help. Good Luck

Surrealist.
03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I am finding it is hopeless. The new ones changed the ports. There is talk about the fact that you can not just use an adapter but that is regarding video usage. It is not clear. One site points to these:

http://lowendmac.com/ed/bashur/09db/dvi-to-mini-displayport.html

Apparently you need a converter? But these are related to iMacs so I am not sure what that means in terms of a stand alone display.

As you can see, Apple has created an expensive problem if you are interested in possibly using the new 27" iMac as the centerpiece of your home entertainment center or as a gaming monitor with anything but a recent Mac in addition to being your amazing new Mac.

hcoat
03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
I haven't personally tried it, but I have been told that this adapter works.

http://www.kanexlive.com/c247dl

Surrealist.
03-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Hmmm.... so close. It is a Dual-Link DVI male.

vncnt
03-08-2013, 12:11 AM
I need a mini port female to HDMI male to go into my laptop.

You connect this display via 8-bit HDMI?
That must be like driving a Bugatti Veyron in the city center.

Cryonic
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-DVI-ADC-DISPLAY-ADAPTER-M8661LL-B-A1006-/120732698829#vi-content

This looks like what my old coworker used to connect his Cinema Display to his PC. Does ADC to the monitor and DVI to the computer.

hcoat
03-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Hmmm.... so close. It is a Dual-Link DVI male.

I thought HDMI to DVI would be the easy part? :stumped:

Surrealist.
03-08-2013, 09:57 PM
You'd think. But I don't think it was designed to go that way. And since I don't have access to it before buying it changes things a tad. Unless I can actually test it I am a bit strapped. 130 US is not exactly chump change. This is why I was hoping someone had actually done it. But apparently not. This has been a bit educational because I realize that Apple has changed the technology and there are few solutions because of that. I did not actually realize they had changed the connections on the new monitors. And I realize now they did that for a reason. It is not compatible with other inputs out of the box. So they are forcing you to hook it up one way unless you use some kind of converter. There is quite a difference between an adapter for 19.95 and a converter from 150-350 - that you can not test. So It is looking like I'll have to go with an NEC (which I don't want to do as it is very heavy and that does not work for me too well in my situation). Unless someone has actually done this with a CD.