PDA

View Full Version : Error reading files from paths that contains "Illegal Characters"

spieluhr_x
03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Hello everybody.

I'm not sure if this is a well known problem, but I haven't experienced before. I'm trying the new lightwave 11.5 (been using lightwave 9.6 for quite long time) but I'm having problems to open any file, presumably because one of the folders contains an illegal character. Now, I'm assuming all of this because when I try to open any file on modeler, either by double click on the actual file or by choosing the menu open, I got the message: 112145

I'm using Windows 8, and because of the new personalized login which uses your mail data to provide an user account, my folder is named after me: César which have an e with an accent, but judging by the lightwave message, it must be an illegal character and the software cannot handle the correct path. C:\Users\César\Documents\Lightwave

The only workaround I can think, its to save my files in a higher level, outside the faulty folder, but this is complicating a lot of things since many of my files like pictures or textures are inside that folder and I need to switch forth and back everytime I need to manage the files.

Does this is actually bug? If not, I will kindly suggest this as a feature request because we people, often use a lot of special characters in our files (spaces, underscores, ü, etc) so it might be a future problem.

nickdigital
03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
I would submit a proper feature/bug request.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?73226-Bug-Report-and-Feature-Request-System-Instructions

I think in general, special characters should be avoided. It would make sharing assets with clients difficult.

spieluhr_x
03-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks nickdigital, I have already submit a report, hopefully they will take into account for future updates or new releases.