PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Question

phicol
03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi there!
I have very basic rigging question here:
How do i rig a robotic figure using bones or (GENOMA) without deforming the mesh with bones?
Bones deforms the mesh so how can i stop the bones deform the mesh and just drive the mechanical joints and make IK with non deforming rig.

Thanks

nickdigital
03-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Use weight maps to isolate the parts from each other.

Or split apart your robot into separate layers and parent/constrain each part to the joint that controls it.

The weight thing is probably easier though.

phicol
03-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks.. any tutorial out there? rigging mechanical parts etc?

Thanks again

RebelHill
03-01-2013, 02:26 PM
YEah, this was asked just the other day... easiest method is to just treat it as you would any other cahracter/setup, but to instead use "block" weights to fully bind a single part to a single bone... Beyond that you can pretty much follow any regular rigging tutorial.

lino.grandi
03-01-2013, 03:12 PM
This should help:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?47971-Pivot-rotation

vector
03-01-2013, 11:40 PM
YEah, this was asked just the other day... easiest method is to just treat it as you would any other cahracter/setup, but to instead use "block" weights to fully bind a single part to a single bone... Beyond that you can pretty much follow any regular rigging tutorial.
A year ago I asked the same thing and that way works fine

Waves of light
03-02-2013, 04:17 AM
I just opened up a very old robot model I did for a job years ago. And I used the following methods (no Genoma back then, and I don't think it would work with this set either) no bones, just simple IK for different robot layers.

Create your character in Modeler
Split your parts into separate layers (e.g. Head, Upperbody, lowerBody, UpperRtArm, etc.)
Using the pivot tool, create the pivot points for each layer (see images 1 and 2 below)
Now, I didn't do this back then, but it would have saved me time if I had setup parenting using F7 layers menu
Export to Layout
Check pivot rotation of all layers
Setup pivot constrants (max and min rotation for each layer)
This part is optional - create and rearrange your schematic view ( I find this helps with layer selections later on - Middle Mouse button and drag over the ones you want to select) and with IK selection
Setup your IK nulls - in this example I set up a very simple IK chain for each arm (null positioned on the wrist) and each leg (null positioned on the ankle)

Now, this was a simple rig, because I was only taking certain poses and keyframing them in Flash (so save on filesize) but I'm sure with a little more effort it could have been used for animation and export for comp.

Ricky.

Image one (Pivots inside Modeler):

Image two (Close up of hand pivots inside Modeler):

Image three (Wireframe and schematic inside layout):

Image four (same as Image 3 but VPR - inside layout):

Image five (flying pose VPR - inside layout):

phicol
03-02-2013, 07:07 PM
thanks for all this help..
really appreciate this..

Surrealist.
03-02-2013, 08:58 PM
I think bones give you a few more options than object parts. Nothing wrong with rigging animating object parts of course. But I think bones is a bit more elegant of a solution in my opinion.

Waves of light
03-03-2013, 12:39 AM
I think bones give you a few more options than object parts. Nothing wrong with rigging animating object parts of course. But I think bones is a bit more elegant of a solution in my opinion.

I agree. But I for one don't know how to do it properly and would welcome any tutorials on the matter. In the end, I went with the above method as it 'worked' at the time.

Surrealist.
03-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Sure. Like I say, nothing wrong with doing it that way at all. It is a valid method. :)

With bones, it is the same as rigging a character. And basically the bones rather than your object pivot points are the rotation origins. It is more complex and requires a deeper understanding technologically, but the result is more flexibility and a rig that you can manage separate from the mesh, of just a few advantages.

End the end go with what works for you. Sometimes a more complex and flexible set up is not the best thing.

Waves of light
03-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Very true, good points.

lino.grandi
03-24-2013, 09:32 AM
This is a genoma specific video, but may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkrrd5QjvXM