PDA

View Full Version : Changing Object Coordinates in Layer to Give 'Human' Look?

LWHound
03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
If I have a layer containing several objects (all copies of the same object), how can I 'randomize' their alignment to give a human, natural, look please?

Also, I have an image containing a repeating pattern which I need to recreate in LW. Is there a way to have an object duplicate and align itself to a matching portion of the image, or will I need to put the image in the background and physically copy the required object(s) over the image? I'm not afraid of hard work, but if there is an easier way .....

Afalk
03-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Nodes and node motion would probably do the trick for you :) I reccomend Rebel Hill's Nodal series, and Bryphi's tutorials. RH is available through liberty3d.com and Bryphi has an extensive collection of free tutorials on YouTube. If you haven't, make sure to download Denis Pontiere's DP Kit and assco. plulgins :D

Danner
03-01-2013, 09:23 AM
If you are scared of nodes both of your questions could be answered by using instances. Look for a tutorial on LW instances and pay attention to the randomize part for your fist question. As for the second question, you could use a subdivided plane as the instance generator and scale it so the geometry matches the pattern.

Without using instances you could use point clone plus in modeler to clone them with random rotation/size/position.

LWHound
03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
MANY thanks to both Afalk and Danner for your replies.

I've been away from LW for around 4 years now, and returning to it I can see that it really has moved on in a super positive direction!

No, I'm not scared of nodes, or anything else for that matter. :D I shall take some time to bring my LW education back up to par, with the resources you have mentioned. Then I will tackle the project with a new perspective.

Thanks again guys. If anything rocks more than you, I have yet to see it. :thumbsup: