PDA

View Full Version : alternate hair options

cresshead
02-28-2013, 06:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lSbBIDQeqs&feature=player_embedded#!

looks intersting and well priced.

rcallicotte
02-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Very nice. And it's on sale until tonight. Thanks for the video.

prometheus
02-28-2013, 09:58 PM
yeah..I got a lot of ads from Daz in my mailbox about Garibaldi, definitly cool and slick styling UI and performance feedback, seems way faster and easier to use than fiberFX, instant feedback while tweaking etc.
Looks quite ok when rendered, but I think fiberFX displays much better rendering or have better engine for it, hard to tell since we havenīt seen so much from garibaldi yet.
And of course, you would probably not want to render in daz, and that brings up if it could be useful to translate guides within the fbx export to lightwave, sort of like zbrush guides.

I think you would only get some guides and not the rest of the higher hair fibers since that most likely is within the garibaldi render system.

and then you wonder, dynamics within daz for hair? or perhaps just if it works with fbx export and use soft body dynamics in Lightwave?

Michael

prometheus
02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
By the way, painting hair density with texture map and air brush is way more efficient than using weight map, and that shows how that underlying technology is so important to get in Layout with
painting brushes...from everything to paint where particles are born, to instances, hair distribution or elevation maps etc.

I hope that they will attend to looking in to that for layout soon.

Michael

MAUROCOR
03-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Surface Atrack Tool. Hey, LW group, that is something we really need in LW. In Modeler AND Layout. I am asking for this since long time ago. PLEASE!

jasonwestmas
03-01-2013, 06:06 AM
No way FFX shading is better than this. But I wouldn't be rendering in Daz either. Maybe he'll make a LW port. :)

geo_n
03-01-2013, 06:30 AM
http://www.furrythings.com/
daz getting affordable hair solutions lately.

prometheus
03-01-2013, 08:35 AM
No way FFX shading is better than this. But I wouldn't be rendering in Daz either. Maybe he'll make a LW port. :)

yes..thatīs what I said, but the styling tools and feedback seems way better withing garibaldi than styling fiberfx guides...and painting density for hair.

Michael

jasonwestmas
03-01-2013, 08:44 AM
yes..thatīs what I said, but the styling tools and feedback seems way better withing garibaldi than styling fiberfx guides...and painting density for hair.

Michael

I think I worded that wrong, I actually think the Garibaldi shader is better than the FFX one. Not that it's fantastic but I have a real problem with the FiberFX specular shading especially. Especially for closeups, it's way too blurry.. . .as a result the specular kinda covers up shadow details instead of enhancing them.

prometheus
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I think I worded that wrong, I actually think the Garibaldi shader is better than the FFX one. Not that it's fantastic but I have a real problem with the FiberFX specular shading especially. Especially for closeups, it's way too blurry.

aha...I see it now:)

Not sure I would say the shading is better in daz, thereīs to little reference material to look at..to little shown of garibaldi renders maybe to fairly compare.
searching in google might end up with the babylon 5 guy Garibaldi:)
hereīs one nice image....
http://marcusfinnigon.deviantart.com/art/BL-Kyde-Garibaldi-Hair-344488053

depth shadows? pixar method development, not sure if that is what fiberfx use also?

jasonwestmas
03-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Here's what I kinda mean. Although this render has an hdr, secondary spec and GI in it (which I think makes the hair even more flat/ toonish, could be a good thing.) Most of my renders even the volumetric ones have specular shading that looks like this. It's as if the specular was airbrushed in with photoshop,112067 heh. It's not as noticable with lighter hair but. . .

prometheus
03-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Here's what I kinda mean. Although this render has an hdr, secondary spec and GI in it (which I think makes the hair even more flat/ toonish, could be a good thing.) Most of my renders even the volumetric ones have specular shading that looks like this. It's as if the specular was airbrushed in with photoshop,112067 heh. It's not as noticable with lighter hair but. . .

see..what you mean, that doesnīt look good...but Im no big user of fiberFX, maybe I am not the one to be vice on this area, but some time ago when I tested I thought it looked quite good..and that was
with quite some basic setups, specularity within dark hair I havenīt tried though, have to go back and check this.

Maybe youré overdoing the specularity somehow?

Michael

jasonwestmas
03-01-2013, 11:01 AM
If I was using Shave I would presume that my glossiness was not high enough but I think the real issue here isn't necessarily the shading model but the way that the hairs are interacting with the depth of the shading, it's hard to tell. Just feels visually like too many of the hairs are on the same depth plane if that makes sense. I mean that more on a per-hair-guide context than from front to back shading on the head overall. Perhaps digging deeper into the geometry tab would reveal something more textured even for straighter hair.

I intensified the effect on everything to show the shading gradient more closely. It just doesn't appear to respect the spaces in between the hairs very well. As you can see in the shave/vray hair material example in the second darker image, I get a pretty nice tone and contrast in the spacing between the hairs almost by default.

I say these things not to discourage people but rather to figure out what is going on here. Plus I'm sure Fiberfx works great for more distanced camera angles and more stylistic work. Nothing wrong with the smoother airbrush style of things, I kind of like it if that's what I wanted.

Edit: Come to think of it, looking closely at the FiberFX render; I just see the same kind of specular shading between the different hair locks when comparing hairs in the front part of the lock to the way they look in the back of the same lock. That kinda destroys the depth factor a bit. In my opinon here, this is a flat styled type of hair shader, unless there are other factors at play here that I need to adjust.

3DmodelerDy
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Wow ! Cool ! Thanks for sharing it ! I usually how to learn to create something ? I download other creations and open with modeling software and then looked at it carefully to check out how it was made.. So many times it helped me to create something I don`t know. I use and tutorials like this too :)