PDA

View Full Version : Where have the different flock types gone in 11.5?

Simon-S
02-28-2013, 05:01 AM
I just started having a play with flocking in 11.5 and it looks like the preset behaviors for swarm, flock, school, herd are no longer there.

In 11.03 I found these presets really useful for setting simple behaviors quickly so I'm wondering why this cool feature has been taken out in 11.5?

ianr
02-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Hi simon-S,
There are dud in LW11.5 because of major rewrites,
but if you ask James Willmott- DevTeam (mail him)
very, very, nicely he may tell you when a new upload
of presets will happen, it's on his todo list.

Meantime there's a great tutorial by James out on youtube
covering stuff from 2012 Siggraph instances & flocking.
Hope that helps?

Simon-S
03-01-2013, 04:22 AM
Great, thanks. I'm in no rush so I'll wait for the update. Nice to know this will be fixed though :)

3DGFXStudios
03-01-2013, 05:02 AM
I'm wondering why flocking is so extremely slow in 11.5. Things that where faster than real time in 11.0.3 now take ages. Did someone else notice this to? If you have 25 particles for example it calculates slower than real time in 11.5. In 11 a couple of thousands calculated faster then real time. What happened?

jameswillmott
03-01-2013, 06:04 AM
I'm wondering why flocking is so extremely slow in 11.5. Things that where faster than real time in 11.0.3 now take ages. Did someone else notice this to? If you have 25 particles for example it calculates slower than real time in 11.5. In 11 a couple of thousands calculated faster then real time. What happened?

I thought I mentioned this in another thread, flocking was tied to the update of Layout, so it had to wait for a full screen update before doing it's thing. This was to ensure any meshes in the scene were fully updated before it tried to use them. Unfortunate it slows them down, we're looking at lots of ways to speed them up again though.

3DGFXStudios
03-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Oh thanks for the reply. Must have missed that thread.

Hail
03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi simon-S,
There are dud in LW11.5 because of major rewrites,
but if you ask James Willmott- DevTeam (mail him)
very, very, nicely he may tell you when a new upload
of presets will happen, it's on his todo list.

Meantime there's a great tutorial by James out on youtube
covering stuff from 2012 Siggraph instances & flocking.
Hope that helps?

I m very interested in this too, I also found the presets very useful

GregMalick
03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I thought I mentioned this in another thread, flocking was tied to the update of Layout, so it had to wait for a full screen update before doing it's thing. This was to ensure any meshes in the scene were fully updated before it tried to use them. Unfortunate it slows them down, we're looking at lots of ways to speed them up again though.

I discovered that complex Objects being instanced can really slow down the flocking calc time.
Calculating without the object or using a simple proxy get's around this and the calcs can be blazingly fast.

Markc
04-20-2013, 03:27 PM
This makes things a bit complicated when trying to follow a tutorial!
(just got Kat's vids on flocking, panels in LW are so different between 11 & 11.5, there are even variables removed in 11.5).

jwiede
04-22-2013, 07:04 PM
James, this is so extreme a perf. hit it really falls into the category of "bug" in my book -- uses which were practical before are now wildly impractical due to compute time required. Can you tell us whether the fix is scheduled to be released as an update to 11.x? Or will we have to wait until LW12?

jwiede
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
James, this is so extreme a perf. hit it really falls into the category of "bug" in my book -- uses which were practical before are now wildly impractical due to compute time required. Can you tell us whether the fix is scheduled to be released as an update to 11.x? Or will we have to wait until LW12?

So no word on this?

How about when we might expect to see the return of the missing flocking presets? Right now, 11.5's flocking is kind of hobbled by their absence (even if the perf wasn't an issue).

Hail
05-10-2013, 04:05 AM
So no word on this?

How about when we might expect to see the return of the missing flocking presets? Right now, 11.5's flocking is kind of hobbled by their absence (even if the perf wasn't an issue).

+1!
Yeah that seems to be taking forever
A word on this would calm some nerves

BigHache
05-10-2013, 05:22 AM
... flocking was tied to the update of Layout, so it had to wait for a full screen update before doing it's thing. This was to ensure any meshes in the scene were fully updated before it tried to use them. Unfortunate it slows them down, we're looking at lots of ways to speed them up again though.

I don't know if this would be an option, or just not easily implemented in the code as it currently stands. What about a tick box that gives user control over waiting for full screen update or not? I know this wouldn't necessarily be a fast yes/no answer either but perhaps it could bide time until a long term solution is worked out.

proprioception
05-19-2013, 07:42 PM
FYI. As a quick fix, I took screen shots of the agents screen from v11 and replicated them in 11.5 and saved as their respective pre-sets. I am not sure if I was able to capture all of the same details as some of the parameters are different from v11. Unfortunately, after creating these pre-sets, I was not able to find the file for these pre-sets in any of the program folders so I am unable to attach them here. They are not saved in the same location or file format as say fro example the hypervoxel pre-sets.

I have also sent a note to support seeking guidance on whether or when these pre-sets will be available as part of the program.

jwiede
05-20-2013, 06:47 AM
So if Newtek can release further Genoma plugins and scripts, hotfixed Valkyrie libs/plugins, etc. why is it that we can't seem to get the flocking presets re-released? It shouldn't require nearly as much effort as the other things I've described, yet we've been asking for months, to no avail. Please?

ianr
05-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Please James
Ask Mr.Powers If you can Reply to this thread
Please like Soon?

This is a backwards step in comms!

Markc
05-20-2013, 12:19 PM
This makes things a bit complicated when trying to follow a tutorial!
(just got Kat's vids on flocking, panels in LW are so different between 11 & 11.5, there are even variables removed in 11.5).
UPDATE: managed to follow along without the presets, but that's not the point.
Bring them back please.

jameswillmott
05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
They've been re-added to the installation internally, I'll ask if we can release them publically as a patch.

allabulle
05-21-2013, 03:53 AM
That would be great, James!

ianr
05-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Deeep Joy,
see there U go !

But.....WHEN?

allabulle
05-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Careful with the W word there, ianr. :)