Surrealist.
02-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Very nice!

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2013, 07:37 AM
More to share for people to study...

Waves of light
03-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Excellent reference pics William. Thanks.

hrgiger
03-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Here's one that I just did recently.

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Most Impressive!

jrandom
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Did you do all those sofa indents by hand or is there a shortcut method?

chikega
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Very nice subD quad meshes, hrgiger and Proton. :)

prometheus
03-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Did you do all those sofa indents by hand or is there a shortcut method?

Im not the one to speak about that, but I donīt think thereīs a shortcut, at least not any automated process, only way I can think of would be saved selections point sets or surfaces so
you can select and perform bevels or shifting on them.
Beveling,shifting,normal point move, perhaps router.

Would be nice to have the model process showcased on video though.

Michael

allabulle
03-12-2013, 01:16 AM
I love this kind of thread.

Thanks Proton for the captures: always efficient and elegant. And agreed, wow hrgiger! How do you approach such model?

djwaterman
03-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Love the sofa.

WilliamVaughan
03-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Here is a quick and dirty approach that should give you the setup you need to do the couch.

1. Create a diamond and duplicate it to the desired size.
2. Using Linear Falloff rotate the top portion to make candy cane shape
3. Subdivide mesh to get more edges to help hold shapes better as well as convert to all quads. (this can be done at a later point as well)
4. Using Linear Falloff rotate the arms 90 degrees
5. Multishift any size diamond pattern
6. add buttons

Hope this helps.

WilliamVaughan
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
here is close up of final touches on cushion.

-Add hold segments on outer edges per diamond shape
-Use Untangle to round off center polys and multishift once
-pull selection in
-add button
- select center edges of each diamond and use point normal move to puff them out

PeteS
03-12-2013, 09:52 AM
purdy work there big willy!

allabulle
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Lovely, William. Very Proton of you. I'll try it. Thanks.

hrgiger
03-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I did it a little differently then Proton's method though that will work too. I built the couch with a basic quad polyflow and just made the polys as consistent of a size as possible. Then I used 11.5's new chamfer tool on every other point in a staggered selection to create diamond polys where the indents would go. Beveled those into the couch while pulling remaing points outward. Then I used 11.5's new slice tool and made slices where the straps that go between the indents and beveled a strip outwards. Since chamfering created ngons, I again used slice to add the geometry to go back to a quad based mesh that would work with subpatches. Then it was just tweaking to make the padding look right.

The couch is part of the new furniture presets in my preset pack for LWCAD 4.5.

WilliamVaughan
03-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I did it a little differently then Proton's method though that will work too. I built the couch with a basic quad polyflow and just made the polys as consistent of a size as possible. Then I used 11.5's new chamfer tool on every other point in a staggered selection to create diamond polys where the indents would go. Beveled those into the couch while pulling remaing points outward. Then I used 11.5's new slice tool and made slices where the straps that go between the indents and beveled a strip outwards. Since chamfering created ngons, I again used slice to add the geometry to go back to a quad based mesh that would work with subpatches. Then it was just tweaking to make the padding look right.

The couch is part of the new furniture presets in my preset pack for LWCAD 4.5.

Smart use of the new tools!

hrgiger
03-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Heres a few more recent additions to LWCAD presets, some new element types- switchplates/panels.

WilliamVaughan
03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
you should send these to got wires blog.

WilliamVaughan
03-22-2013, 09:45 PM

Snosrap
03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Heres a few more recent additions to LWCAD presets, some new element types- switchplates/panels.

Hey Steve, does LWCad 4.5 bring in subpatched presets as subpatches? If so can you have a preset with mixed poly types (hard/subD)?
Thanks

hrgiger
03-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Hey Steve, does LWCad 4.5 bring in subpatched presets as subpatches? If so can you have a preset with mixed poly types (hard/subD)?
Thanks

No, LWCAD shape library does not support subdivision surfaces at this time so they all come in to your scene as regular polygons. When Viktor and I talked when I was creating new preset update, he said he should support it so you may see that in a later update of LWCAD. For now, you'll need to tab it after using a preset like this. I like to use SubD's to allow control of the subdivsion level.

hrgiger
03-23-2013, 02:59 AM

Ok William, these are just screengrabs so I can do a proper wire render and send.

Lewis
03-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Nice work, here is few of mine, little heavy/bussy but there is some interestign shapes to look at and see what's going on :).

allabulle
03-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Your models are great, but the topology is a thing of beauty, Lewis. Thanks for sharing.

WilliamVaughan
03-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Nice work, here is few of mine, little heavy/bussy but there is some interestign shapes to look at and see what's going on :).

Always impressed with your models... you should submit these to the gotwires site!
http://gotwires.blogspot.com/

djwaterman
03-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Got wires is one of my favorite blog sites since William first pointed us to it in a post some months back, I would expect the guy to post a bunch of the Lewis ones since he mentioned he was running out of content (that molded tank thing looked incredible). I even discovered some of my old work on his site. Seems this thread is developing into a wireframe show and tell.

probiner
03-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Nice thread :)

Lewis
03-23-2013, 09:08 AM
....I would expect the guy to post a bunch of the Lewis ones since he mentioned he was running out of content (that molded tank thing looked incredible)....

Thanks guys :). As for Fuel Tank that was interesting thing to model, Gerald (from industryVFX) sent me few photos and 2 rough masures (width and height) and i built it from that and it ended up in commercial he did, you can see it here http://vimeo.com/43930831# :).

Snosrap
03-23-2013, 09:33 AM
No, LWCAD shape library does not support subdivision surfaces at this time so they all come in to your scene as regular polygons. When Viktor and I talked when I was creating new preset update, he said he should support it so you may see that in a later update of LWCAD. For now, you'll need to tab it after using a preset like this. I like to use SubD's to allow control of the subdivsion level. Thanks for the info Steve. I've got some presets (using 3.62) with mixed polys and they always come in as hard so I was just wondering if that was changed in v4. Thanks.

hrgiger
03-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes, Lewis is one of the LightWave modeling masters for sure.

prometheus
03-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Lovely stuff Lewis, love the engine.
Now..this is a little off topic and off topic from what you might model, just curious, how would you tackle modeling the spacecraft from prometheus, the engineer craft that is also called the juggernaut.

That ship has some intricate detail that I wonder if subdiv would be apropiate or use some other techniques for it...
http://www.cgarena.com/newsworld/newsimages/pros2.jpg
http://www.cgarena.com/newsworld/prometheus-steven-messing.php

Michael

Lewis
03-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Lovely stuff Lewis, love the engine.
Now..this is a little off topic and off topic from what you might model, just curious, how would you tackle modeling the spacecraft from prometheus, the engineer craft that is also called the juggernaut.

That ship has some intricate detail that I wonder if subdiv would be apropiate or use some other techniques for it...
http://www.cgarena.com/newsworld/newsimages/pros2.jpg
http://www.cgarena.com/newsworld/prometheus-steven-messing.php

Michael

Hmm, i don't see any wires or details about ship but somehow from these outside distant shoots it looks like it might be relatively simple with most details made with textures (displace). I might be wrong but it's hard to tell from this images they show. How to modle it, well id' probably go for spline patching sections sinc eit's very roundish liek donut so it's good candidate for splines and then workign on details :).

prometheus
03-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Hmm, i don't see any wires or details about ship but somehow from these outside distant shoots it looks like it might be relatively simple with most details made with textures (displace). I might be wrong but it's hard to tell from this images they show. How to modle it, well id' probably go for spline patching sections sinc eit's very roundish liek donut so it's good candidate for splines and then workign on details :).

yeah..hard to find some info about it, thought I saw something about it somewhere but lost track on it, in the articles you get some hintīs on set design but mainly for the engineer chamber and space jockey seat, that seem to have been some sort of textured uv displacement amongst others.

Michael