PDA

View Full Version : Robot Combat League rocks!

shrox
02-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Much better than I expected!

http://www.syfy.com/robotcombatleague

shrox
02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Did anyone else watch the actual bout at the end? It was pretty cool once the driver and fighter coordinated themselves. They had some extra sparks thrown in for effect, but the fight itself got fierce. I liked the show, and I do not like boxing!

probiner
02-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I predict robot associations protests against this brutality.
Now, seriously, one kind of loses the thrill about it when sees how bad the robots walk and that all the emotion is left to the video editor, the script, and "people cheering" over gushing hydraulics.
This would have been a blast in the 20 years ago. Felt a bit boring.

shrox
02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Now, seriously, one kind of loses the thrill about it when sees how bad the robots walk and that all the emotion is left to the video editor, the script, and "people cheering" over gushing hydraulics.

This first one was a lot about them figuring out how to run the robots, I would have dropped all that. Once the final round got going, it was pretty neat. There was some real damage going on.

LW_Will
02-27-2013, 04:57 PM

It was out there ten years ago, it was called ROBOT WARS with Nick Charles... wanna see this one as well.

OnlineRender
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
yeah we had this about 10 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASKJsHa5n2U

shrox
02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
It was out there ten years ago, it was called ROBOT WARS with Nick Charles... wanna see this one as well.

The way the robots are mounted (basically a stick up the butt mounted on a dolly like thing) makes them able to actually stay in place and deliver a punch that causes some damage. Otherwise they would just push off each other when they tried to hit.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah we had this about 10 years ago

This one is more like Robot Jox, androids rather than service bots. Robot fighting began in the '70s.

COBRASoft
02-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I would like robot wars back, it was awesome!

JamesCurtis
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots!! Knock your block off!!

lwanmtr
03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Robot Combat League was kind of boring to me. Yeah, looked more like a large scale Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots...only with less action.

The old Robot Wars was far more interesting because the robots moved around and had to actually use tactics (and saw blades) to beat their opponent. Wasnt just a 'stand still and hope your arm hits a hydraulic line' thing.

shrox
03-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Ok, I thought it cool, and a clever design that gets around the problems of standing upright.