PDA

View Full Version : RHiggit 1.4 with Game/Export rig RELEASED (and SALE on)

RebelHill
02-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Hey there...

So, the most recent update to my RHiggit toolset is now live and available.

The main addition is a new export skeleton builder, designed to help get your animated characters out of LW and into other apps, primarily, game engines. The whole thing is customisable, robust and delivers great results. You can see a basic overview of the whole thing here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRcCfA07tU

Existing users can grab the update right away, its available in your download... details posted here... http://www.rebelhill.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145&sid=96e20fcafafe216d8aa76021c554713b

And finally... in keeping with previous major updates... Im celebrating the new release by holding a SALE on RHiggit new purchases, upgrades and bundles... of 1/3 off, which will run till the end of March.

Cheers all.

sami
02-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks RH!!

As you know, these recent updates to Rhiggit have been a godsend for me - a real life (and time) saver! The export rig makes Rhiggit beyond essential in any game developer's toolkit. Now excellent animation in LightWave is no longer relegated to just renders, but using your Biped templates and the new Export Skeleton features, I've been able to bring my LightWave character animation practically identically into Unity and other real-time game-engines and software like Ogre 3D. Glad this is now officially part of the Rhiggit offering (although your betas were pretty dang solid).

The actual animating process with your rigs is a dream, real nice control and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Can't recommend this enough.

Waves of light
02-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Craig, you are a clever man. If all goes well this month, I will finally be looking at purchasing a Pro licence.

geo_n
02-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks RH.
Are there additions to the docs and videos that we should download also?

Kaptive
02-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Many thanks Craig. Look forward to trying it out!

chikega
02-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Very nice Craig! Thank you! :)

RebelHill
02-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks RH.
Are there additions to the docs and videos that we should download also?

Not really, nope (docs will be getting an overhaul for 1.5 which is gonna make some major changes)...

In the meanwhile, Ive done a lil vid here explaining the intended method for using the export skeleton, and how it works with the existing system. Ill also be adding others to give an introduction to game style weighting, etc for folks who aren't already up on that sort of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSphZ_px_9Y

Cheers.

khan973
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks RH!!!
Any treats for us about what will be in Rhiggit?

phillydee
02-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Good stuff... I'll grab the update now, thanks

Empedokles
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated!

Greenlaw
02-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Well, what do you know--and I was just about to ask about your game rig too!

Thanks RH! Grabbing the update now. :)

G.

Ma3rk
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
RH,

Just so there's no (or at least less) confusion, is it just the [edit - filename excised by request] or is there anything else we should be snagging?

Greenlaw
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Hmm..what I got has a different filename. The contained files have very recent dates though so I think this is the correct download. Maybe everybody has a differently coded filename?

G.

RebelHill
02-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Yes... u have independent files... DONT POST THEM PUBLICLY

Well...

Now thatnks to these two... Ive deleted the whole download section...

Anynoe not got theirs yet, gonna have to wait a few days now till I get everyone back up online.

OnlineRender
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
muppets ...looks awesome RH!

Greenlaw
02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
I just finished watching the above videos and I think you must have been reading my mind. I was going to ask your opinion on the most reliable way to get nicely deforming rigs from Lightwave to any other 3D packages without jumping through a lot of hoops. I figured that, if there was a system that works with getting CA from LightWave into a game engine, it will probably work well for MB and Maya too.

I'm going to assume the latest version of RHiggit is your answer. :)

G.

Greenlaw
02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Hmm...sorry about that everybody. :(

G.

Ma3rk
02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Yes... u have independent files... DONT POST THEM PUBLICLY

Well...

Now thatnks to these two... Ive deleted the whole download section...

Anynoe not got theirs yet, gonna have to wait a few days now till I get everyone back up online.

Oooo. Quite sorry about that. Didn't think it even an issue since it wasn't a complete path AND they're user name and password protected.

Again though, it's just the one file?

M.

RebelHill
02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
...the most reliable way to get nicely deforming rigs from Lightwave to any other 3D packages without jumping through a lot of hoops. I figured that, if there was a system that works with getting CA from LightWave into a game engine, it will probably work well for MB and Maya too...

Yup... pretty much, that's what this fella does.

Obv, there's differences in setup "hoops". You need a more strict weighting of your mesh to reliably export correctly deforming characters out... one of the reasons it couldnt (easily) be done with the initial deform rig is because its designed for use in LW, taking advantage of LWs joint deform tools to give great results in LW with very minimal weighting. But with the additional weighting work (which is necessary no matter what for decent export), this guy gives you a solid and reliable export to pretty much any other app that takes boned/skinned meshes.

RebelHill
02-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Oooo. Quite sorry about that. Didn't think it even an issue since it wasn't a complete path AND they're user name and password protected.

Again though, it's just the one file?.

In fairness... it should be obvious enough not to post private links/file details publicly.

RebelHill
02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Any treats for us about what will be in Rhiggit?

In 1.5 I take it...

Nothing major new feature wise... but a good deal of workflow and general functionality stuff, which should generally just serve to make the toolset more rounded, robust, useful, etc.

Greenlaw
02-27-2013, 02:38 AM
...You need a more strict weighting of your mesh to reliably export correctly deforming characters out...
This is something I've been aware of but it's an area where I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, such as normalizing all weights, etc. Lightwave is so forgiving about this stuff and it's made me 'too sloppy' for other programs I think. :)

You mentioned in the video that you are planning another video that will go into explicit weighting for other apps--I'll be looking forward to this one.

G.

RebelHill
02-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Normalising you dont need to worry about too much... just paint your weights (on a more or less 1 weight per bone basis), and in layout set all bones to WMO and turn on normalise... Done.

sami
02-27-2013, 03:34 AM
This is something I've been aware of but it's an area where I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, such as normalizing all weights, etc. Lightwave is so forgiving about this stuff and it's made me 'too sloppy' for other programs I think. :)

You mentioned in the video that you are planning another video that will go into explicit weighting for other apps--I'll be looking forward to this one.

G.

Weighting for games is one of the biggest pains in the neck I've dealt with bringing character animation into game engines (particularly ones like Ogre3D where each vertex cannot have any weight influence from more than 4 bones otherwise some engines like Ogre (cant confirm this for Unity at the moment) end up acting weird giving you crazy deforms if there are more than 4. Say vertices under the arms had 6 bones whose assigned maps had weight values - well the game engine would toss out influence from bones 1 & 2 for that vertex and then take 3,4,5 &6 and normalize those to 100% which means you are likely to get some really ugly undesirable deforms in that place on your mesh. Rhiggit is awesome, but you still have to make your own weights. And the weight map choices mentioned in the docs really only work for deforming inside LW.

It is really critical when animating for games to "turn off' stuff that LW does that the other engines don't and try to have 1 weight map per bone as a starting place. Here's what I do when using the new Export Skeleton from Rhiggit:

Setup Rhiggit as usual and use the create Export Rig plugin
Install the Dstorm Load Bones plugin into LW 11.x 32bit (yes you will need this version)
Go to your rigged Rhiggit scene and save a copy of the scene using File > Export > 6.0 Scene. (this Dstorm plugin only works with the old scene format)
Go into Modeler 32bit & load the saved 6.0 scene of your character using Load Bones plugin selecting the Export Skeleton rig (you need to be sure not to select the original Deform rig - just the export one)
Load your character mesh into Modeler
copy the skelegon bones into your character mesh's layer (before you do that make sure there are no weight maps in your character)
Run Modeler's Vertex Paint, Select the Weights Tab and set falloff to be ^128
Hit the Calc Weights button in Vertex Paint to create a new weight map for every bone
Exit Vertex Paint and save the weightmaps into your mesh
Save your mesh and go back into Layout - go to your scene BEFORE you saved the 6.0 version
Make sure your new weighted mesh is in the scene.
Make sure your mesh is using Bones from the Export Skeleton (you may need to reparent the Export Skeleton to the mesh)
Select the bones in the Export Skeleton and Run the AssignBoneVmaps plugin to set the bones to the new weight maps (this plugin automatically assigns the bones to weight maps with the exact same name - as created by Vertex Paint)
You can find that plugin here: http://www.tmproductions.com/ProductsHTML/AssignBoneVMaps.html
Also make sure to check Use Weight Only & Weight Normalization on in the plugin (which sets those for each of your many bones)
Now after you animate, and bake any IK or whatever, if you turn off IK and MC your animations should be only using the weight maps and not LW's deform system enhancements
Vertex Paint will not create good weights by far, but it creates a rough good starting map, that you will need to go back and forth between your Rhiggit scene and Modeler to tweak the weights created by Vertex Paint so your deforms look nice and don't have any crunchy spots (which they likely will on export from Vertex Paint)

Seriously as much of a pain that this is, it is still faster than creating each weight map yourself and gives you a slightly quicker way to get started. Obviously you'd like to have your rig in LW and your geometry nailed down before doing this or you'll have several round trips of pain to get it right.

I've been working on a weight map plugin to help this process, but I'm only half there and need to think about how best to solve this issue. I'm sure RH has some ideas. This is just what I've been doing, so I'm happy to hear other people's better ways of getting through this 4 bone/weight influence per vertex limit most game engines have....

lol at "done" above.... it's a bit more fiddly than that...

Btw this is not a Rhiggit problem it's a "we've-been-lazy-using-LW's-awesomely-forgiving-deform-system-vs-how-game-engines-work" problem.

mav3rick
02-27-2013, 04:33 AM
impressive release!!!!!!! everyone should seriously consider this as must have 3rd party

realgray
02-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Very impressive tool. Great job.

Greenlaw
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the helpful and very useful info guys! :thumbsup:

G.

Kaptive
02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
impressive release!!!!!!! everyone should seriously consider this as must have 3rd party

Agreed (well if you do character work anyways!).

Looking forward to 1.5.

geo_n
03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
pmd you RebelHill

tonymax99
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
hi Rebel.

ive tried downloading the update using the original links you sent me but im getting a 404 error, are the new download pages up yet..

thanks

Tony

bbuxton
03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi Craig

I've been looking in on the forum from time to time to see if there has been an update on the links for Rhiggit pro. Original emailed links are still 404.
Will you be mailing out new links?

Brian

RebelHill
03-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey all.

For those wondering, new links have been made, and are being mailed out, if you've not already received yours, you will soon.

Otherwise... Ive been adding new vids to get you started on the methods needed for using the export skeleton, including the export process itself, and this one, on weighting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXS502fMqs8

Also, Just wanted to remind thoe who don't have this fella, that the sale is still on till the end of the month... but moreso, for those considering, to point out something which may have been missed. RHiggit is sold in GB£, which have taken a bit of a battering on the market recently, so if you'r home currency is some other (mainly US$ or Euro) then you'll find that atm, RHiggit is cheaper than its ever been.

Cheers all.

chikega
03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Excellent! Thank you Craig! I'm still going through your Nodal tutorals ... next is your rigging tutorials. :)

Greenlaw
03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks RH! I watched the new video and it was very helpful. :)

G.

Edit: The more I think about it, I realize this video was very helpful indeed! When setting up explicit weight maps in LightWave for other applications, I always had uncertainties about exactly what I needed to fuss over and what I could just let be. Your demonstration cleared much of the fog for me and should help simplify my current workflow. :thumbsup:

geo_n
03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks! Any update on the thing I pmd you?

RebelHill
03-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Not as yet... but fear not, I am tinkering.

RTSchramm
03-26-2013, 04:54 AM
I have a two questions:

When I upgrade to 1.4, do I need to uninstall the previous version of RHGGIT Pro. And what are the advantages that RHGGIT Pro have over GENOME rigs?

Rich

wesleycorgi
03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Hey all.

For those wondering, new links have been made, and are being mailed out, if you've not already received yours, you will soon.

I can't believe I missed this email when you sent a couple of weeks ago! Lucky, I checked this post again.

RebelHill
03-26-2013, 05:59 PM
I have a two questions:

When I upgrade to 1.4, do I need to uninstall the previous version of RHGGIT Pro. And what are the advantages that RHGGIT Pro have over GENOME rigs?

Rich

You dont need to uninstall... just overwrite previous versions and content as noted in the release announcement. As for advantage over genoma, loads... easier setup, better deformation, much more rig functionality, better animation workflow, no bits that break or dont work right, or have bugs, etc.

geo_n
10-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Rhiggit 1.5 anytime soon?
Also I haven't tried 1.4 because of the issue I pmd you about. The download links still working I hope.

RebelHill
10-11-2013, 09:56 AM
V1.5 shall definitely be along... couple lil bugs to fix and other loose ends I wanna tie off...

But then that'll be it for updates there... Ive gotten something going this past week or so that is gonna obsolete RHiggit (as it currently exists) entirely.

Fsoto
10-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up; looking forward to what you're cooking. I am still in the building process; and will shortly need to rig.

geo_n
10-11-2013, 11:04 PM
V1.5 shall definitely be along... couple lil bugs to fix and other loose ends I wanna tie off...

But then that'll be it for updates there... Ive gotten something going this past week or so that is gonna obsolete RHiggit (as it currently exists) entirely.

Obsolete? I haven't even mastered using Rhiggit. :D
Have you created a CAT system for lightwave? :D
Kidding, but a modular system like CAT would be so useful.

tyrot
10-28-2013, 10:58 AM
rebel any halloweeeeeen price reduction???

and is there any chance to buy separate parts from your dvd.. ?

thanks

RebelHill
10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Nope, no sales planned for the minute Im afraid.

And Im also not particularly into the idea of making the 2 RHR chapters available as standalone, they really are very tightly woven into one another. The tools section, whilst highly informative, doesnt leave you with an awful lot you can make direct practical use out of (not without a good dose of creative thinking on your own part as to how things might be snapped together), and the practical projects section expects that you know (or have access to) the entirety of the tools section... without that, it'd be lost on most folk.

tyrot
10-30-2013, 10:24 AM
thanks for clarification..

Greenlaw
10-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Looking forward to 1.5. I'm guessing it will be ready before we're ready to begin our next cg project. That's months away because we're still busy finishing two current short film productions in our little studio but I think RHiggit is going to be perfect for our next one.

Keep up the great work RH! :)

G.