PDA

View Full Version : Toggle Display modes + ghost mode

eddybrown
02-26-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm coming from 3ds max and whilst I'm settling into Lightwave there's a few things I'm missing so far.

In modeler is there a shortcut for toggling display modes, as in wireframe, shaded with wireframe etc? I looked in the shortcut editor but couldn't find anything.

2nd thing is in max there's a ghost display mode which is sets your object to around 50% transparency and works with and without wireframe. Ghost mode was on a shortcut so was really quick to turn on and off. I know I can get around it by setting my surface to be transparent and enabling transparency in the opengl settings but that's not as nice as a shortcut.

Cheers

djwaterman
02-26-2013, 04:03 AM
To be honest, I think the answer in no on both accounts. Prove me wrong guys.

probiner
02-26-2013, 04:38 AM
read it closely and there you go. It flickers a little.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?109232-Viewport-switching&p=1021176&viewfull=1#post1021176

sukardi
02-26-2013, 04:39 AM
You can save the toggle display mode by pressing ctrl plus a number on number pad. A dialog will come up to set some properties. After that, when you press the relevant no on number pad, it will switch to that display mode.

About the 50% transparency, not that I know of...

Oops, too late...

eddybrown
02-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Ah cool that's great thanks! Shame there's no equivalent to ghost mode but the display toggle works really well. Thanks.

Lewis
02-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Yeah you can setup render modes for individual or all window sin modeler by using Numeric keys as shortcuts (CTRL+1, CTRL+2.....) As for ghosted view i.e semi transparent that's not option, we usually use Wireframe for background layer so it's always wires :(.

I'd recommend you to map some keys to your mouse for much much faster work in modeler - Here is my mouse setup for modeler.

P.S. Welcome to LW Land :D.

eddybrown
02-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks that's a cool idea with the drop selection on the mouse. I still miss max's scroll zoom and middle click pan but I've got used to the navigation now so that's at least one hurdle complete! I've also found the new tools in 11.5 have really helped my transition, the chamfer tool is great, not sure how you guys coped without it :)

Cheers for the tips :)

Lewis
02-26-2013, 07:37 AM
the chamfer tool is great, not sure how you guys coped without it :)

We have(had) Edge bevel and Rounder which work similar except problems with open edges but there is workaround for that so we coped that way until chamfer, actually even now there is few situations (very little but still) where edge bevel works better than chamfer ;).

As for navigation (in modeler) once you realize you are NOT moving camera (there is no camera in Modeler) but actually pulling screen/mesh by click mouse (at that exact location) you'll start to love that navigation style more and more :). You just need to let go LMB click and click few more times if you wish to tumble roll more than 180 degrees and then once you grasp it you can tumble mesh indefinitely as you wish unlike in some other systems of navigation :). Speaking about Alt+LMB (Rotate), ALT+CTRL+LMB (ZOOM) and ALT+Shift+LMB (PAN) navigation.

eddybrown
02-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Yep got the navigation sorted in my head now, having used LW for two weeks now without using max made navigating in max today a bit strange. I'll have to force myself to use both I think.

How do you set drop selection on the spare mouse buttons? I couldn't see the mouse buttons in the key assignment.

Lewis
02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Yep got the navigation sorted in my head now, having used LW for two weeks now without using max made navigating in max today a bit strange. I'll have to force myself to use both I think.

How do you set drop selection on the spare mouse buttons? I couldn't see the mouse buttons in the key assignment.

Drop selection in LWM is set to \ key (if i remember good now, it's been a decade since i use that setup :)) so i just map that key to mouse button in Mouse Drivers software :).

As for navigation wonders I know the feeling, i had to Map "a" and "shift+a" in MAX so i can do fit/fit selected like in LWM 'coz i was constantly hitting those while working in MAX and max uses "z" to zoom :). Also what "killed" me mos tin MAX at first few days was "specebar" which is LOCK in MAX and in LWM is completely different usage and basically muscle memory to hit it hundreds of times by day, fun times going from software to software and then wonder when i Photoshop why my shortcuts aren't working, arghhhh:).

djwaterman
02-26-2013, 08:01 AM
You can save the toggle display mode by pressing ctrl plus a number on number pad. A dialog will come up to set some properties. After that, when you press the relevant no on number pad, it will switch to that display mode.

About the 50% transparency, not that I know of...

Oops, too late...

Can this be done on a laptop without the numpad?

Lewis
02-26-2013, 08:04 AM

Nope you have to have numpad, one of reasons why my laptop HAS one :). But you probably could install some special remapping software to remap num keys to other locations to simulate it software way.

jwiede
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Not easily, but bluetooth / wireless numeric keypads are pretty cheap these days. Get a thin one and keep it in the laptop bag. Still, it does seem like something LW3DG needs to fix by making fully-reassignable in the keymap editor, given how dominant mobile platforms have become.

As for "Ghost Mode", I'd love it if LW supported a proper ghost/x-ray view mode in LW (Modeler and Layout). We shouldn't need to alter/redefine surface assignments just to manage in-viewport visibility, and x-ray views are tremendously useful in complex models/scenes. Wireframes too rapidly become useless working on detailed geometry (esp. when sub-d surface geometry is involved).

madno
03-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Thanks the OP for asking and the others for answering.
Was also searching the "edit shortcuts" for "change render mode" a while ago.
Now everting is on the num pad.
And I found out that there is short cut programming tool for my mouse.
Drop selection etc. now on an extra button.

:thumbsup: