PDA

View Full Version : Scale to BG BoundingBox script/plugin?

sami
02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
I thought the Absolute Size did this, but I can't get it to work.

Does anyone know of a one-click scale FG layer to the exact size of the BG layer's bounding box?

thanks!

Spinland
02-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Modify->Transform->More->Fit to Background?

sami
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
I tried a BUNCH of scaling plugins, but none did what I wanted except this one:

http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/dimension/

however, this one only works with a BG layer in the same object, you can't scale to a BG layer in another object so you have to cut and paste the BG object you want to another layer in the first object and make that BG before running this.

sami
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Modify->Transform->More->Fit to Background?

Ahh thanks that works too just like that plugin I mentioned (you need to have the BG layer in the same object for it to work) -

I didn't see it initially because "Fit to Background" is not in 11.03 and is new in 11.5 -- I'm still working in 11.03 since I'm mid project and haven't fully set up or started using 11.5 until this project ends. Here's another good reason to start working day to day in 11.5 - it's just been our best practice to not change versions mid-project in case scenes or plugins or whatever get broken and we don't have time to chase up these things in the middle of production. But since they install side-by-side doing stuff like this is easy.

thanks for pointing that Fit to BG out :)

jeric_synergy
02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I didn't see it initially because "Fit to Background" is not in 11.03 and is new in 11.5 -- ....
R U sure about that (the newness)? I just did a Search on the 11.5 addendum on "fit to background" and got zero hits.

(Actually, didn't find it in ANY of the relevent PDFs: but IMO Acrobat's Search is almost as lame as this forum's.)

EDIT: in fact this 2006 link refers to FTB as "that old legacy plugin".
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-406381.html

sami
02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
R U sure about that (the newness)? I just did a Search on the 11.5 addendum on "fit to background" and got zero hits.

(Actually, didn't find it in ANY of the relevent PDFs: but IMO Acrobat's Search is almost as lame as this forum's.)

EDIT: in fact this 2006 link refers to FTB as "that old legacy plugin".
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-406381.html

It wasn't in my Modify > Trasform section in 11.03 - so in 11.03 I searched plugins and Edit Menu Layout and found nothing. In the default 11.5 install Fit to Background was there in Modify > Transform already. And since I don't remember that command ever, I assume it has to be new (given that it is not in 11.03 that I can find).

If it is a legacy plugin, then I forgot about it and they took it out for 11.03

jeric_synergy
02-25-2013, 09:18 PM
It was in my Studio configs-- I sure didn't add it myself. Which config version are you using? (You might prefer the Studio configs.)

Anyway, it's been around since 2006, when it was 'old', so ixnay on the ewnay.

sami
02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
It was in my Studio configs-- I sure didn't add it myself. Which config version are you using? (You might prefer the Studio configs.)

Anyway, it's been around since 2006, when it was 'old', so ixnay on the ewnay.

What are the default configs that install with 11.03 then? That didn't have it. Am I supposed to search every config that ships? ;) Clearly the default configs in 11.5 have it now.

jeric_synergy
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
There's only maybe two. It's right in the presets.