PDA

View Full Version : How to extend an edge? (noob alarm)

madno
02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I like to extend an edge like shown in the screen shot to make stabalizing geometry for SubD.
Existing geometry was made by boolean (vertices are merged).
Everthing is fine so far, I just can't find a way to extend the selected edges so that I get new polygons (dashed lines).
I tried extend edge (e), but that creates new polys on top of the (still ngon) poly below. Tried LWCad knife, that just made a new point on the connection line in the lower left area. Tried the new pen tool, but that always creates single lines, which look like a poly but are just lines.
As I said noob alarm. Feel really dumb at the moment.
Any help is appreaciated.

Danner
02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
You could try selecting that edge loop and use "edge bevel", or add a loop right next to the lower loop (inside the triangle still), then select the points on the loop touching the Ngon and use "point normal move" or stretch them out. You can align them to lay flat on the face of the letter by using the new "alight to last point X", Y or Z

Danner
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
"Alight" should read "align" of course. I also think the new chamfer tool should do just what you need.

Tobian
02-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Erm. Select the face, use bevel, (or multishift if there's more than 1 face) inset the face, so that it looks like what you have there.. You also then have an extra loop of quads round the outside of the face too. If you don't want them, just select the boundary, in edge mode, and hit delete..

madno
02-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Hey guys,
thank you, I knew it should have been simple.
Feel even more dumb now :-(

Waves of light
02-26-2013, 05:45 AM
New Chamfer tool works too.

lardbros
02-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Love that new chamfer tool... LOVE IT!!! :D

Actually, ALL the new tools make me grin!! :D

Tobian
02-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Not actually what he wanted, but yes it is a cool tool! :-)