PDA

View Full Version : IFW2 Textures

Tony3d
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
HI, does anyone here use IFW2 Textures? I found my CD of version 10, but have not used it in ages. I can't seem to find my key, if there even was one. Do they run in 11.5 64 bit? How can I prove I bought these if there was a key?

nickdigital
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
They should run in 11.5 fine.

I would email the vendor, they might be able to look up your info based on your personal info.

Tony3d
02-25-2013, 02:22 PM
I found the email with my login and password, but it doesn't work. Jus emailed him. This is what I hate about third party plugins.

Yamba
02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
IFW2 works fine in 11.5 on my mac.

Spinland
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Just a piece of advice from someone who's been managing software licenses for well over a decade: keep a spreadsheet containing the software title, URL if available, serial numbers, and any other relevant information. Don't just rely on old emails. Keep that file current, and backed up somewhere safe.

IMNSDHO information that relates directly to your livelihood deserves no less. Just saying. :)

Tony3d
02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes I've learned my lesson.

3dworks
02-26-2013, 09:28 AM
working fine here under mac 64

Phil
02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I found the email with my login and password, but it doesn't work. Jus emailed him. This is what I hate about third party plugins.

The logins automatically expire after 12 months. There is no key for IFW2, etc. It's not dongle-locked or anything else. To regain access, you'll need to pay the upgrade fee. I really hate this approach, especially since development appears to have stopped and there's been nothing beyond Mac64 support in the 'new' package for a while now (from what I know)

Tony3d
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I found a Copy I saved to disc. Version 10, but don't know if it will run under 64 bit.

jwiede
02-26-2013, 09:17 PM
HI, does anyone here use IFW2 Textures? I found my CD of version 10, but have not used it in ages. I can't seem to find my key, if there even was one. Do they run in 11.5 64 bit? How can I prove I bought these if there was a key?
They do run in 11.5 64-bit on Mac. You'll need to contact the vendor (and possibly pay a "current maintenance/update" fee) to get the latest, but the recent versions are 11.5 & Cocoa-UB32/64-compatible.

jwiede
02-26-2013, 09:21 PM
The logins automatically expire after 12 months. There is no key for IFW2, etc. It's not dongle-locked or anything else. To regain access, you'll need to pay the upgrade fee. I really hate this approach, especially since development appears to have stopped and there's been nothing beyond Mac64 support in the 'new' package for a while now (from what I know)
Agreed, I'm not a huge fan of the pricing model either. As a charge just to maintain access to downloads, it's exhorbitant IMO, and development does appear quite moribund of late.

Tony3d
02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Ya, I'm not paying this guy another penny!

jrandom
02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
It's unfortunate because the nodes were pretty interesting, especially the 6-color ability (great for applying different properties to different parts of noise nodes -- worked especially great with Pebbles).

I've always wanted to try my hand at writing noise/texture nodes... might be the perfect time to start...

CaptainMarlowe
03-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Hi Guys. I have read all your comments about IFW2 textures. I had never dig into this set before, relying on DPont's nodes and 3D-COat for my texturing work, but I must confess that after seing the textures and tutorials, some nodes would be very useful for the kind of work I do (bircks and tiles, deformers, nurnies, 6-color ability....)
Would you consider despite it is apparently not developped anymore and the strange pricing policy, it would offer good value ? In other words would your recommend the order. I usually model and render/animate historical architectural models and science-fiction models.

jrandom
03-04-2013, 01:37 AM
I'm torn, because some of the textures (nurnies, swirlies, pipes, veins/wires) are really interesting. For instance, this image (http://jrandom.smugmug.com/Art-1/Computer-Generated/12161631_7TwBKV#!i=866998879&k=Qh6wDz7&lb=1&s=A) (created waaay back when I first got lightwave) is using 100% IFW2 textures for displacement and bump mapping.

UnCommonGrafx
03-04-2013, 03:27 AM
No growth for a long time.
Still, no one has replaced this set of textures.

I would say they are still quite invaluable. And if you talk to Richard, he will tend to let you get your stuff without hassle. Maybe not anymore, as I haven't had to get anything in a while. A rock solid set of utilities: no recoding needed in over ten years.

jwiede
03-04-2013, 06:17 AM
No growth for a long time.
Still, no one has replaced this set of textures.

I would say they are still quite invaluable.
Oh, no question, they are absolutely invaluable. It's just a shame there hasn't been much development, or even deepening of presets and examples using them over time. I'd love to see more modern examples of realistic materials using the nodal components, better docs with visual proof sheets for settings, etc. all of which would justify additional payment in my mind. Adding value shouldn't be difficult, quite a bit could be added IMO without adding another line of code.

CaptainMarlowe
03-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi guys, sorry for not answering earlier. Thank you for your inputs. I think I'll order these tonight, now that I'm back home.

chikega
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
IFW 2 Textures still seem relevant today. The textures are included in Modo as a matter of fact. And to think, I started using it under Imagine For Windows (IFW) back in the day. :)

shadersrjj
07-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Ya, I'm not paying this guy another penny!

Having just read this email thread I thought I should respond. The model has always been to allow people to get 12 months of free updates after paying and then if someone wants to have access to the latest version then they can but will need to subscribe to another 12 months access. I have people who bought IFW texture over 5 years ago expecting to gain access to the latest set of IFW2 Textures for free so I have to draw the line somewhere. Also, when ever someone emails me I will always send them the latest version to which they are entitled so.

More recently, to produce a set of Mac OSX 64bit textures I had to purchase a new mac, set everything up and spend several weeks compiling and testing.

I still spend time and money supporting IFW2 Textures and currently this runs at a loss so, given, this kind of negative press it sounds like it might be time to pull stumps.

RJJ

UnCommonGrafx
07-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi guys, sorry for not answering earlier. Thank you for your inputs. I think I'll order these tonight, now that I'm back home.

Hey there, Richard.
Please don't miss the points of your software being invaluable and an order on the way.
I'd really like your concepts and implementation to be part of the native stuff, but see that won't happen...
I do wonder if you will do anything with some of the other renderers, like Octane.

If there are updates to the set, I'll invest, again, next week.

Thanks for all you do, Richard.

alexos
07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Having just read this email thread I thought I should respond. ...
I still spend time and money supporting IFW2 Textures and currently this runs at a loss so, given, this kind of negative press it sounds like it might be time to pull stumps.

Ah, please don't, IFW2 nodal is still a gem with exceptional value for money. I don't know if you've found other, more lucrative markets (it seems to be a trend of sorts amongst former 3rd party LW developers, sadly) but the only reason I haven't renewed my subscription is that there were no updates for a while... Still hoping for a nodal V2 here - even though I can't imagine what could be in it :P

ADP.

stobbs
07-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Also, when ever someone emails me I will always send them the latest version to which they are entitled so.

RJJ

I can vouch for this - I wanted to download IFW2 18 months after I'd bought them so I emailed Richard and he sent me the version that was available at the time of purchase and said I could buy an upgrade if I wanted which seemed fair to me. I certainly wouldn't have any doubts about ordering from him again.

pinkmouse
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I bought the IFW2 OSX64 set a month or so ago and they are excellent value. I would definitely pay for upgrades.

Keep up the good work Richard.

Phil
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Having just read this email thread I thought I should respond. The model has always been to allow people to get 12 months of free updates after paying and then if someone wants to have access to the latest version then they can but will need to subscribe to another 12 months access. I have people who bought IFW texture over 5 years ago expecting to gain access to the latest set of IFW2 Textures for free so I have to draw the line somewhere. Also, when ever someone emails me I will always send them the latest version to which they are entitled so.

I neglected this thread. I guess my concern is that it's never clear what's new. I'm also curious, beyond platform support, what is new in IFW2. It seemed that the updates were confined to platform support (e.g. the intel-native LW on Mac, then x86_64 support on Mac).

I'd suggest seeing this as a market that wants to spend money supporting your product, but that it's either not being informed enough about what's new (that makes them feel spending money on an update is worthwhile) or that the value is not apparent. A 12 month subscription without any guarantee of product evolution doesn't seem like a good way to drive your revenue stream. People on maintenance tend to expect something beyond extended download service for a product that they have a license to use. You're not unique in this respect. A 12 month subscription implies updates, revisions, enhancements are going to be delivered.

So, to put the question another way, what's new with IFW2(Nodal) since, say, 2007 other than platform support?

shadersrjj
07-15-2013, 04:23 PM
The price of IFW2 Textures and the upgrade pricing are not subscription models. You purchase the textures if you want them and you upgrade if you need something from the latest versions. I have never asked anyone to purchase anything as a promise for continuing upgrades. The 12 months access to downloads is a simple courtesy. Again, anyone who emails will always be sent the latest version to which they are entitled so no-one *has* to pay for anything.

I maintain IFW2 Textures (and have done for over 10 years) and test them against the latest LW Beta as much as I can (Currently 11.6 beta). I do get a few sales here and there but I do this more to support the LW users who have purchased IFW2 Textures in the past. There hasn't been any updates because they have continued to work, I don't currently have enough new texture functions and I don't get hardly any bug reports.

However, if you read through this thread it start with someone looking for their IFW2 Textures and ends with "Ya, I am not paying this guy another penny!" and I simply didn't feel I have done anything to warrant this.

pinkmouse
07-15-2013, 04:38 PM
... I don't currently have enough new texture functions...

A request please Richard, a blur node would be really handy. I quite often find I'd like to "soften up" a procedural before I do something else with it.

shadersrjj
07-17-2013, 04:07 PM
I haven't done a blur node as there one in the DP Kit.

pinkmouse
07-17-2013, 04:18 PM
There is? I missed that! :)

wulfie
08-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Is it still possible to get these procedural textures? I had a hard time getting a response from the website. Didn't want to pay unless I was going to succeed in the purchase. Used them many years ago. I like them.

Thanks!!!!

shadersrjj
08-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Yes, The textures are being updated and supported as required (we are always testing against the latest betas).

You should always be able to contact us on [email protected]

RJJ

wulfie
08-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Excellent. I am totally jazzed that this product is still available. Thank you!!!

Chris S. (Fez)
08-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Exceptional value!

adk
08-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Exceptional value!
Yeah... and after flicking through a few of them I think I'll invest as well. Seem pretty relevant to me.

CaptainMarlowe
08-05-2013, 06:00 AM
I did buy them a few months ago, and had no regret doing this, they do bring up a lot of possibilities.

dsol
08-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I just bought these. $69 seems like a bargain - and I love using procedurals!