PDA

View Full Version : LiveText with "live" graphics integration?

tjoynt
02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Trying to create a Tricaster show for tennis, but have a couple of questions.

The names, scores and other text would be interfaced through LiveText (I assume), and this can be changed through an XML feed right? It could just read from a local/networked XML file and update automatically. Is this possible?

More importantly, "live" graphics. It will most likely be a static BG under the LiveText, but there will be at least 3-4 graphical elements that change. The player country flag will change each match, and the serve indicator will change throughout the match. Is this something that can be sent via XML and scripted in LiveText or scripted some other way?

Attached a very simple example so you can get a better understanding.

PIZAZZ
02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
We do quite a bit of Tennis. We were using the LT ScoreBoard plugin from Kris Gurrad. Works very well. Even better after we did some adjustments in the code to fit our needs (professional tennis) our graphics arrangement is different so we had to move some things around. http://tofervision.com/software/ltscoreboards/

His plugin is well worth the money. You just have your graphics op update the score. We actually programmed XKeys units with the buttons/Shortcut Keys needed the most so we can update it without even looking at LiveText.

You can do it also by feeding the scoreboard information into LiveText. Daktronics for instance. XOS Digital also has a way to tie into scoreboard data via XML. BUT you have to have accurate scoreboard operators. Most are not.
Heck even the USTA judges on court sometimes make mistakes.

Currently we are moving into a more advanced graphics solution but will still hang onto LiveText as a backup.

If you need some help in this tennis area. Shoot me an email. jef at pizazz (dot) com

tjoynt
02-26-2013, 07:39 AM
We'll be using our own backend scoring system and create the XML for all of the data, I'm just not sure how to convert that data into graphics for the elements that need to be graphical.
It's basically just the serve indicator (which I see that plugin has), but then also country flag.
Is there a way to send a TRI in the XML and have that correspond with a certain PNG/TGA in LiveText?

kltv
02-26-2013, 09:48 AM
You can use full image paths as DataLink variables. Probably what I would do is make two indicators the same size file. One with the image visible and one just a blank transparent PNG file of the same size.

Kris

tjoynt
02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
You can use full image paths as DataLink variables.Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know.

Any resources on doing all of this? I've got the manual and other things, but haven't seen specific image replacement scripts, just text.

PIZAZZ
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know.

Any resources on doing all of this? I've got the manual and other things, but haven't seen specific image replacement scripts, just text.

Not really. Basically what is in the manual and LOTS of trial and error. One reason for our pro tennis events we are moving to a more robust graphics solution.

kltv
02-26-2013, 12:12 PM
I haven't done it through XML without writing my own little parser, but in the text linking, all you need to do is VariableName=C:\This\Is\The\Path\Filename.png. Then inside LiveText, bring in that image or a placeholder and go to the layers tab. For that layer, name it %VariableName% and it will reference the path. It should work the same for an XML link.

Kris

tjoynt
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks a alot

Lee-AVP
11-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Is it possible to append the .png in Livetext? For example.. %playername% is a variable, and I want livetext to load %playername%.png - not having any luck.

Lee-AVP
11-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Does this feature actually work consistently?

I re-wrote my text script so that it does a key/value pair - flagimg=xxxx.png

I can spit the text out on the screen just fine. If I apply it to an image, it works once every 40 tries or so.

Anyone ever gotten it to work reliably?

- - - Updated - - -

Does this feature actually work consistently?\

Here's a picture:

Lee-AVP
11-25-2013, 09:11 AM
For those playing along at home: I can get this to work after restarting LiveText an average of five times. This number can be reduced to three if you're on the phone with tech support. Absolutely no idea what's going on, but if you're having trouble, just keep restarting and it'll come along eventually.

MagicShoebox
11-25-2013, 03:36 PM
I use this feature on a regular basis. It took me a while to get it all working, but it works reliably now.

I use the Text feature rather than XML, but it works the same way. I wrote custom software that the graphics person (if it isn't me) uses, and it outputs a list of Key=Value pairs to the DataLink directory of LiveText. We use this for all our dynamic on-screen text, as well as dynamic pictures.

I did just recently discover you have to write out the full path to the image, however. Even if the images are all located within the ProjectName.cg.Pages subfolder, you can't just write Flag=UnitedStates.jpg into your datalink file, you'll still need to write Flag=C:\Users\UserName\Documents\LiveText\My Projects\ProjectName.cg.Pages\UnitedStates.jpg

Lee-AVP
11-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Interesting! For us, it's working intermittantly with just the filename; I wonder if the full path would make it 100%?

Lee-AVP
01-18-2014, 11:01 AM
So, after being ridiculously frustrated by this, I realized something:

If I open the project directly - double clicking the project file to open it from windows - the images will be referenced to the local folder without the complete path.

If I open livetext first and THEN open the project, the images require the full path in order to work.

frank.leggett
01-19-2014, 04:37 AM
Sorry to butt into this thread but I was wondering if someone could answer my newbie question about Livetext Live updating.

I am starting to write a small Visual Basic form to update text for txt linker but I noticed your post mentioned .cg files. At the moment I have to use Livetext to send the caption to tricaster. Is it possible to do .cg templates with Livetext and load them into tricaster during production then update them on the laptop but changing the text file. If tried to do this but the %text% text links didn't work.

I have searched through the Livetext manual but I couldn't find the answer there.

Lee-AVP
01-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Sorry to butt into this thread but I was wondering if someone could answer my newbie question about Livetext Live updating.

I am starting to write a small Visual Basic form to update text for txt linker but I noticed your post mentioned .cg files. At the moment I have to use Livetext to send the caption to tricaster. Is it possible to do .cg templates with Livetext and load them into tricaster during production then update them on the laptop but changing the text file. If tried to do this but the %text% text links didn't work.

I have searched through the Livetext manual but I couldn't find the answer there.

It is not possible, no. Only the stand-alone version of Livetext incorporates the Datalink features.

frank.leggett
01-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks for that, just to confirm it doesn't matter that I have a standalone version on another laptop connected to Tricasterr. The .cg files loading into Tricaster won't reference my tax file because the version of Livetext imbedded in tricaster doesn't support the txt linker.

SBowie
01-20-2014, 06:07 AM
The .cg files are LiveText project files. Title pages exported by LT for use in TriCaster are .cgxml files. I'm not so sure that the integrated LT can't create pages with embedded links, I think it does - but they'd need to be run in an outboard standalone LT for embedded Datalink fields to work.

frank.leggett
01-21-2014, 01:38 AM
I would then say a future feature might be to be able to create CG pages in a standalone unit with embedded links and then be able to load them into the Tricaster project so that they can be played as a loop of pages. During my production I have periods when only signage is being displayed and it would be very useful if this was dynamic so that I could update the data on these pages without stopping the loop and reloading a new version of the page into the media bin.

SBowie
01-21-2014, 05:23 AM
The main purpose of the standalone version is to offload the live CG work to an external system, Frank, including Datalink connections and updates - with the intention of feeding title pages to TriCaster live across the network. Being able to author title pages externally for use in a Media Player is a secondary benefit.

MagicShoebox
02-28-2014, 11:31 AM

I haven't tried using LiveText projects on the TriCaster itself. My setup always has a separate LiveText machine.

The feature that reads in data to replace %Variables% is called DataLink. It's possible you could get that working on the TriCaster, but it would take someone much more knowledgeable than I to get it set up.

EDIT: Whoops, this was already responded to with a clear explanation, I just missed the second page of posts. Sorry for the necro.

jbateman107
04-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Digging this thread up rather than creating a new one - my issue is similar to the ones above. Judging by Lee-AVP's screenshot, we are using the same program to create our .txt files. Here is my issue:

The text file that is generated has a key value pair that will read either:
flagimg=green.png
flagimg=red.png
flagimg=yellow.png
flagimg=white.png
flagimg=finish.png

It doesn't actually create this images, it just outputs that line based off of the status of the race. Now, I created images titled green.png, red.png, etc and put them in the Text Input folder. If I edit the .txt file that is generated and list the full path of my image (C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LiveText\Stats Plugins\Text Input\red.png), it will display the image in live text properly. It will change the image as I change the .txt file. But it's not feasible to do that as this .txt file is auto generated every second.

So what I can't figure out is how to explain to LiveText that flagimg=green.png=C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LiveText\Stats Plugins\Text Input\red.png. I've tried every key value pair I can think of and nothing seems to work. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Is there somewhere else I should be storing these images where LiveText would pick up on them just as the file name?

MagicShoebox
05-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Digging this thread up rather than creating a new one - my issue is similar to the ones above. Judging by Lee-AVP's screenshot, we are using the same program to create our .txt files. Here is my issue:

The text file that is generated has a key value pair that will read either:
flagimg=green.png
flagimg=red.png
flagimg=yellow.png
flagimg=white.png
flagimg=finish.png

It doesn't actually create this images, it just outputs that line based off of the status of the race. Now, I created images titled green.png, red.png, etc and put them in the Text Input folder. If I edit the .txt file that is generated and list the full path of my image (C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LiveText\Stats Plugins\Text Input\red.png), it will display the image in live text properly. It will change the image as I change the .txt file. But it's not feasible to do that as this .txt file is auto generated every second.

So what I can't figure out is how to explain to LiveText that flagimg=green.png=C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LiveText\Stats Plugins\Text Input\red.png. I've tried every key value pair I can think of and nothing seems to work. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Is there somewhere else I should be storing these images where LiveText would pick up on them just as the file name?
If you're able to run a quick test, try putting two of the .pngs in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LiveText\" directory, as that is my guess for where it looks for them first. If there is a "Datalink" directory, try there as well. The other option I can think of would be your "home" directory (I think C:\Users\[username]\ )

Basically, the way Windows works, unless LiveText's programming specifies a directory, it will first look in whatever the default directory windows chooses for it, which is likely either the executable's location, or the user's "working directory."

I assume modifying the software to add some sort of "prefix" to all the filenames isn't an option?