PDA

View Full Version : Bump level controled by incidence angle?

wacom
11-06-2003, 12:37 AM
OK...I know this is a simple task...but I'd like to get it so that my bump map levels are controled by a light angle gradient. IE where there is more ligh focused/reflected there is more bump...

I've been trying to figure it out...but I just can't seem to stumble upon the right way...anyone?

Here is a cable jack I'm working on...and I need to use this "effect" a bit...

Thank You THank YOU Thank U in advance...

wacom
11-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Here is a more distant view...I need to work on the plastic too...but that is another story. Trying to do stuff with out radiosity etc...but that's another topic as well...

Mylenium
11-06-2003, 04:50 AM
I think that's the one application of gradients that's impossible. Both Bump and Light incidence/ Incidence angles are only evaluated upon render time so they do not know of each other. Haven't tried it, though. If it's possible, the logical thing would be to put the incidence gradient on top of the other texture and set it to alpha. In your case this still would not be what you want, since you want to make your bumps dependent of specular shading not overall light levels. Perhaps HyperSmooth could do that, but natively it seems impossible.

Mylenium

wacom
11-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I know G2 allows for some crazy control of things like this...but I'm running thin on cash right now...anyone know how to do this? Or use a cheap/free plugin for it? I'll try some more tests out...

starbase1
11-06-2003, 05:36 PM
OK, no idea if it will work, but I cannot see why not...

Have you considered:

Do a version with a pure light grey surface.
Bake it as a UV.
Apply it to the bump channel.

That way the brightest lit bits would get the strongest bump - and you could muck with the gamma in the image map to fin tune...

Nick

luka
11-06-2003, 06:31 PM
HI Just read your post is this what you are after., Where the bump is controlled by the light incidence value to bump

If that is what you want I will upload the scene file:)

wacom
11-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Starbase1 and Luka- thank you for your reply(s). I can see using both methods together! Starbase1- your method would let me add bumps to the spots that are most likely to get wear! I love this idea!

If I then combine it with the majic you're doing Luka I should have some great "bump-age" going on! Only right near where the light strikes and there is a "wear zone" I'll have bumps!

Thanks for the tips Starbase1 and Luka and PLEASE oh PLEASE upload the scene file for that great bump on a ball technique Luka!

Thank you!

luka
11-06-2003, 07:39 PM
hey no problem:)

Hey by the way cool texturing.

Now I am using a mac and have zipped the files as I presume you are using Windows. If you have any problems let me know.

wacom
11-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the file- and it's even a zip!

I'm trying to get my stuff looking as good as I can before I start trying to fool around with radiosity and/or spinning lights. I'm finding that a lot can be done with weight maps, procedual textures, and gradients alone. Thank you again for the tip.

This is really my first time trying to make anything "real" so thanks for the comment Luka- it'll help keep me going.

It's amazing what you'll learn on this discussion board by just reading a couple of threads every other day. I hope some day I can do the same for others.

Thanks.

starbase1
11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
There's a tutorial here called 'vertex baking beethoven' or something like that which gave me the idea...

Give it a look - they point out there that baking a skydome lit image gives you an 'accessibility map'

I'm doing a lot of experimenting myself, creating textures in one channel for use, and editing, in another.

Nick

Matt
11-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Wacom - like luka said - nice texturing, especially the semi-translucent white plastic in the middle of the connector

wacom
11-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Wacom - like luka said - nice texturing, especially the semi-translucent white plastic in the middle of the connector

Thanks Matt! I know your an ol' LightWaver so you don't know how much it means to me for people like you and Luka to tell me things are headed in the right direction. Your comments on the discussion board are alwas right on target no mater what the topic- I wish I could say the same for myself.
As you can probably guess the white plastic is just gradients playing with the luminosity and transparency channels. Man I was a fool to not use gradients much 'till this point. Weight maps with gradients seem good for quick and dirty stuff (like the screws). Thanks Matt.

Luka- do you know how much I learned from tweaking with your scene file?! I wasted so much time just having fun with it I forgot that I was supposed to do work 'till it was real late. No Joke. It sounds stupid but I knew about the bump channel displacement but didn't think to use it. Even your semi-transparent floor with gradient backdrop was great to see. Do you do still work for products?

Starbase1- yeah I'm going to get some some of those tough to reach spots with vertex bake'n and a little wieghtmaping. I've read a few posts as of late talking smack about just defaulting to straight radiosity instead of learning tweaks first- and I'm starting to see the point of it now. It seems once you get the hang of these things they're a lot more predictable than people have said. Lets hope the LW 8 content CD has more presets and such that show people how to use the features together (even thought the manual covers most of them seperatly).

Thanks again!

Matt
11-09-2003, 08:16 AM
http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/gfx/shy.gif

Awww shucks! Thanks for the compliment but I'm afraid I'm not that good!!! I'm still learning like everyone else!