PDA

View Full Version : Autoscan plugins off - does it reset config files? please crosscheck

madno
02-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Hi,
getting a litttle confused here.
Have LW 11.5 as new install. Hub is active (no -0 switch).
LW 11.02 is installed as well but not used (no 11.02 Hub running).
Whenever I deactivate "autoscan plugins" in LW 11.5 preferences (Modeler or Layout does not make a difference), the configs are reset to an unknown state (could be 11.02 without any third party plugins - new 11.5 features do not apear in the GUI any more; all third party plugins are gone as well). I tried it several times and it seems to be clearly related to the autoscan switch. As long as I don't change that one everthings seems to be ok.
Is that an expected behaviour or should I consider it to be a bug?

Win7 64 bit.

111916 111917

If you like to cross check, please make a copy of your:
C:\Users\username\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5
folder first.

[EDIT]
Forgot to say the change happens after restart of the apps.

nickdigital
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
If you turn off Autoscan you should manually scan your plugins. This way the EXT file gets manually written to.

madno
02-25-2013, 12:20 AM
I thought, if LW has scanned the plugins once (autoscan active), it writes the configs and Extension Cache-64 and then, when restarted next time with autoscan off, it uses the latest stored snapshot from the configs. Is this assumption wrong?

But in my case it is not like this. With autoscan off, it forgets all plugins and resets to an unknown state (even the new modeler tools are gone). It does not help, if I then switch on autoscan again. If I restart LW it still comes up with all plugins gone. Manually scanning does also not help.
So at the moment, I can not work with autoscan off because it corrupts my configs.

jwiede
02-25-2013, 06:04 AM
This does sound like a bug. Turning off the autoscan switch should not impact plugins LW has _already_ scanned and identified, the way this stuff has been described as working by the devs in the past. This might have some relation to the "plugins gone missing" issue still lurking around, as well. Definitely worth reporting, IMO.

madno
02-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Ok will fog it,
thanks.

Snosrap
01-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Was there ever any resolution to this and does it occur with 2015 or 2018 for that matter?

adk
01-25-2018, 05:17 PM
Was there ever any resolution to this and does it occur with 2015 or 2018 for that matter?

I had that issue the first time I installed 2018. For some reason it was a failed install - which has never happened to me before in my 15 + years of LW installs.

RenderQ didn't show up at all and I could not turn off that button, then scan plugins and get anything written to the config files?

A fresh install fixed that issue tho I have zero clue as to what / when / why.

I did mention it (below) with zero interest :)
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155573-Autoscan-Plugins-Plugins-list-in-config-files-2018

So figured it must have been just me.

Snosrap
01-25-2018, 05:27 PM
I had that issue the first time I installed 2018. For some reason it was a failed install - which has never happened to me before in my 15 + years of LW installs.

RenderQ didn't show up at all and I could not turn off that button, then scan plugins and get anything written to the config files?

A fresh install fixed that issue tho I have zero clue as to what / when / why.

I did mention it (below) with zero interest :)
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155573-Autoscan-Plugins-Plugins-list-in-config-files-2018

So figured it must have been just me.

Good to know. Thanks.

adk
01-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Glad to help :)

adk
01-26-2018, 12:34 AM

Actually I spoke too soon !

It's still borked.

Fresh install with autoscan enabled - I seem to have the full interface.
Bring up Edit Plugins and the file list shows them all up.

Disable autoscan and various things, like renderQ |modelling tools etc, are disabled.
Bring up Edit Plugins and the file list shows up 5 plugins.

Enable autoscan - everything is still disabled as above?
Bring up Edit Plugins and the file list shows them all up?

What the heck ?

Ma3rk
01-26-2018, 05:08 AM
Where are your config files? If you're using a "custom" config, do you have your desktop icon setup to point to them such as this:

D:\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\Layout.exe -c"D:\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\Bin\Configs"

With the \bin folder set as the Start In?

adk
01-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Where are your config files? If you're using a "custom" config, do you have your desktop icon setup to point to them such as this:

D:\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\Layout.exe -c"D:\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\Bin\Configs"

With the \bin folder set as the Start In?

No custom configs as yet as I can't get the basics to work Ma3rk, let alone try for something fancy.
It's just a bog standard install.

There's something screwy going on with LW not writing to the configs directory properly I think.

I have admin privileges obviously. Did a fresh install of 2018.01 and all the plugin configurations are sitting in the Extension Cache-64 file.
Nothing gets written to the LWEXT2018.0.1-64.CFG file as it's zero bytes.

Interface appears correct as I can see Render-Q buttons available.
However I have no presets and the presets directory is empty.

Something definitely isn't right and I have no clue as how to fix it ?

Can someone do a s.grab of their config directory perhaps so I can see what's supposed to be there?

Here's mine

adk
01-26-2018, 02:46 PM
Now if I switch off autoscan plugins then Extension Cache-64 file goes down to 5 bytes in size and has only 5 plugins listed ... since nothing got written to the LWEXT2018.0.1-64.CFG file
And my interface get's screwed up with missing buttons. Now Render-Q is a greyed out button with no options underneath.
Same goes for other parts of the interface. No modelling options for example.

The kicker is, if I re-enable autoscan plugins the interface remains screwed up ?

Any takers as to what the heck is going on ?

Shloime
02-22-2018, 05:17 AM
Hi, just to confirm, same behaviour here.
I had the configs in the C:Users... Folder, and now I have them on some other drive (with the -c modifier), same in both places. Most menu entries get lost, and don't come back when autoscan is re-enabled.

Why I played around with it in the first place is the annoying "Additional" tab and the full list of plugins on middle mouse button menu. Are they actually related or how would I get rid of the always reappearing "Additional" tab?

adk
02-22-2018, 05:31 AM
I just got this figured out, for my system anyway, which is a new WIN 10 setup. In my instance LW behaves strangely depending on how I start it.
If I go via the windows start menu > Newtek > LW - all works well and plugins work if I enable or disable AUTOSCAN
If I go via the windows shortcuts that get placed on the desktop then same as above - all works well
If I pin those same shortcuts to the taskbar that's when things turn weird and at some stage the configs / plugins get all weird.

This is the very first time I've had this issue and it's a strange one to say the least. At least for me that's what solved it, your results may vary.