PDA

View Full Version : Standing up at work.

djwaterman
02-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Yes stand up! Union! Take it to the man! Um...actually I'm not interested in that. What I really want to know is...how many of us sit down all day at our computers and is anyone out there setting up their desks so they can stand all day. I know that studies are finding that it is better for people to remain standing at a console or computer, keeping the body active and actually alleviating back problems and RSI. Is anybody doing this?

My work model is I sit for extended periods doing stuff, with a few periods of walking away to think, eat or what ever. However if I was standing all the time I might find the model reversed. I'd be more aware of time, breaking up the time to go sit and read, eat, think or talk, then back to more standing at the computer.

On the few days I teach, I'm standing and all the students are sitting, I don't find my self getting tired from standing, but I'm not doing full work on the computer, just demonstrating things and walking around talking.

I'm also thinking how people in workshops, watchmakers, jewelers and such do a lot of detail work for long hours standing up.

So I'm curious if this can work for the sort of concentrated activity that 3D requires, because most of these studies are based around customer service type industries. If anyone has their office set up like this tell us how it's working out?

safetyman
02-24-2013, 04:23 AM
I had back surgery in 2004 and for me, standing for long periods is painful (geez I sound old). But a co-working, who also had back surgery, has his workstation set up for him to stand, with a raised desk, taller chair, etc. I guess it depends on the situation, but long periods of sitting is not healthy, and thankfully, our employer has taken steps to reduce RSI and other work-related issues. We even have a little annoying program that tells you to take a mousing break and has little videos for stretching and such.

JonW
02-24-2013, 04:30 AM
We're now told to get up from our desks every 20 minutes. Also every 20 minutes up from the lounge!

Edit: Probably toilet as well!

Pamela G. Juust
02-24-2013, 05:08 AM
A year ago i tried the standing desk jockey thing for some time due to back aches. It was very uncomfortable in the beginning, but you can sort of get used to it and it did help with the aches. A perfect height table is needed though to be comfortable while working standing up. You can google "standing desk jockey" for more information on the subject.

J.

JonW
02-24-2013, 05:16 AM
I think if one is going to use a standing desk all day, it's possibly a good idea to sit down once every 20 minutes.

The reason for standing up is to move the main muscles your body which improves your metabolism. So I would imaging the reverse would apply to standing all day.

gravin
02-24-2013, 06:15 AM
I actually just set up a standing workstation next to my desk a few weeks back. Not because I have any medical needs for it, well not unless you count my growing gut. I did it to help burn more energy so I could curb my weight gain a little. I used to walk everywhere when I was younger and now that I'm getting older I drive everywhere and sit all day at a computer for work so I'm trying to balance that out a little. Gotta start jogging again once it warms up a bit here as well. I set it up so I can stand or sit and work at the same computer (multiple monitors, keyboards, pointing devices, etc). I'm enjoying it so far, when I have the energy I can stand and if I'm exhausted at the end of the day I can sit.

Spinland
02-24-2013, 07:21 AM
No standing desk here, but I do run an app that dims my screen at a set interval for a specified duration as a way to force me to get up and stretch or walk around. My office is upstairs and I keep the coffee maker downstairs so I get in a little of that, too.

djwaterman
02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
A year ago i tried the standing desk jockey thing for some time due to back aches. It was very uncomfortable in the beginning, but you can sort of get used to it and it did help with the aches. A perfect height table is needed though to be comfortable while working standing up. You can google "standing desk jockey" for more information on the subject.

J.

All these responses have been interesting, I didn't realize that it's such a common theme, I've done gone and googled "standing desk jockey' and am really taking it seriously now, it's a trend I didn't know about. If I can't find something on the market I could probably have a go at making one. Visualize it in LW even.

zardoz
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I also have back problems, and for about one year I sit in an exercise ball. I felt a lot better (the seat I had before was crap). Now I have a better seat so my back is all right...I also started to sleep only on my side and it helps al lot.

Cageman
02-24-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a height-adjustable table at work, which allows me to stand and sit, and I've noticed that it is really nice to switch between the two, so to speak. The table is equipped with a motor, so it is extremely easy to adjust.

jeric_synergy
02-24-2013, 01:38 PM
It's not any ONE thing that's bad, it's ONLY one thing that's bad.

Shorter: Mix it up. Your body will thank you.

JonW
02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
It's not any ONE thing that's bad, it's ONLY one thing that's bad.

Shorter: Mix it up. Your body will thank you.

Well put!

Here is a link to ABC Radio National, Australia Talks, Sedentary Living. The mp3 is worth listening to (Broadcast 7/12/2011)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/australiatalks/sedentary-living/3696038

danielkaiser
02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
In the 80s I worked for a newspaper as a past-up artist and we used stand up light tables with a good floor mat and a good stool with a back with a swivel seat we had the option to stand, sit or lean against the stool, it's a good idea to stand with your legs slightly apart and the pelvis tilted a bit, this takes pressure off the lower back and extends your stand time.

After 10 years of sitting at a desk and subsequent surgery I spend far to much time in a wheelchair and not enough time working on my passion. Yes us Lightwavers are getting old, I think I'm going to have a lie down.

jeric_synergy
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Also, it's amazing how a 'bar rail' to rest one foot, then the other, on helps immensely. keep shifting that pelvis.

Some yoga is ALWAYS recommended.

Titus
02-25-2013, 09:39 AM
I've been looking for a standing desk for a while, but can't buy one here in Mexico. There are some companie importing some brands but they aren't really interested to sell (go figure).

gravin
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
I've been looking for a standing desk for a while, but can't buy one here in Mexico. There are some companie importing some brands but they aren't really interested to sell (go figure).

I just used an old drawing table with height adjustable legs that I had around the office. Just adjust all four legs to flatten the drawing surface to an appropriate height, for me this was the absolute highest setting so this may not work for all such tables.

djwaterman
08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Well. It took me a while to act on this but I've sold the old desk and bought all the timber and legs to make my standing desk. It's a simple affair, some adjustable white legs from IKEA and pine wood for the desk. I made a quick visualization in LW.

I have a nice tall chair to go with it so I can sit if I have to, and if I really need to I can move everything off the desk, turn it all upside down and adjust the legs to be shorter. But I mostly intend to keep it at its tall setting.

bazsa73
08-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I have a metal bar augmented in the doorframe. Helps preventing pain in the back issues.

Greenlaw
08-06-2014, 01:20 PM
When Alisa was pregnant we raised her computer desk to standing height and got a tall drafting chair so she could sit or stand while working. This was seven years ago and it suited her for a long time. Last weekend though, we lowered the desk to sitting height again because her back was now bothering her when standing.

I guess you want to maintain good posture but you also need to plan your environment for flexibility when needed.

G.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a metal bar augmented in the doorframe. Helps preventing pain in the back issues.

Alisa installed one of those too. I never think about it but I should try it.

G.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Yoga, dudez. Do it.

erikals
08-08-2014, 04:12 PM
took a carpenter class for a year, we all used snickers, you need good shoes when standing straight for 5+ hours a day...

UnCommonGrafx
08-09-2014, 08:00 AM
I have a multi-level table that I use for class. Perfect to stand at, with the flick of a lever, or to sit at to type.

Standing is great when in the creative moment, too.

Yoga is a really worthy exercise. I went to a "Hot Yoga" class with my wife and they wore me OUT! All those petite lil'ladies were some tough lil birds.
I would recommend Tai Chi, as well, to sneak in during the day of standing at the desk.

roboman
08-09-2014, 10:49 AM
I build machinery for a living. Some days it's very physical all day, other days it's sitting at a microscope all day, doing tiny little things. Looking up and at something on the other side of the room every 20 min helps with the eyes and neck. At work, or animation / computer work at home, I try to remember to get up and do something physical every couple hours. That seems to mostly work. If I did animation/programming for a living, rather then as a hobby/side job, I would probably have 2 mice, keyboards and extra monitors, set up so that I could work sitting down and standing. In my old age, I've got to do something physical every few hours, or my back isn't happy. The standing or sitting don't seem to be the big thing, as much as moving and exerting/flexing the muscles and joints a bit.