PDA

View Full Version : Video Card - Sculptris

BigHache
02-23-2013, 08:54 PM
So without spending $300-400 on a card, can someone recommend an intermediate card that I can spend maybe $150 on to use with Sculptris? Right now I'm running a GTX 260 with 896MB GDDR3.

Danner
02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
I don't think sculptris taxes the GPU that much, If I leave the performance monitor while sculpting I can see all 32 threads max out on the CPUs!

dsol
02-24-2013, 09:34 AM
If sculptris is anything like Zbrush (which I assmue it is - being based on the same tech) then it will barely touch the GPU. Zbrush is insanely fast at handling huge meshes precisely because it doesn't use OpenGL - and instead uses a custom (insanely threaded) software engine for display/manipulation (along with a lot of clever tricks using 2.5D voxels).

Spend your money on RAM and the CPU if you want better performance in this app (though it's very efficient - even on relatively low-end hardware!)

Marcia
02-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T buy an overclocked graphics card... learning that the hard way now.

BigHache
02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Good call. I see my CPU getting taxed while sculpting. I'm running 16GB with an Intel 2600k and will be for a minute I suspect. Thanks.

Rayek
02-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Be careful: Sculptris and zbrush both use very different tech: Zbrush utilizes a software-based renderer (does not tax the 3d side of GPU's at all), while Sculptris definitely does use OpenGL and required 3d hardware accelleration. Sculptris was picked up by Pixologic to prevent it from becoming a viable competitor sometime in the future, so they offered the developer a nice job.

On my Asus EPE121 tablet with a intel video chip Zbrush runs completely smooth, while sculptris runs like a dog on it.

Also do not forget that Blender also offers Sculptris-like dynamic tesselation now - though it still must be more optimized.

BigHache
02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Be careful: Sculptris and zbrush both use very different tech: Zbrush utilizes a software-based renderer (does not tax the 3d side of GPU's at all), while Sculptris definitely does use OpenGL and required 3d hardware accelleration. Sculptris was picked up by Pixologic to prevent it from becoming a viable competitor sometime in the future, so they offered the developer a nice job.

On my Asus EPE121 tablet with a intel video chip Zbrush runs completely smooth, while sculptris runs like a dog on it.

Also do not forget that Blender also offers Sculptris-like dynamic tesselation now - though it still must be more optimized.

This I figured and I do know the history. Sculpting is something I'm dabbling with for 3D printing so I don't see myself picking up Zbrush in the near future.

dsol
02-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Ah - teach me to jump to conclusions! Thanks for letting me know. As a Zbrush owner, I don't use Sculptris that much, though I've heard some people prefer it to Zbrush for certain types of sculpts (quicker for doing simpler stuff I'd imagine)