PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Machines,

michaeldejong
02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Hi guys I have another question :)

So I've always had LightWave installed on my desktop and laptop, and exchanged the dongle as needed.
But now with the changes to licensing I don't need that little piece of hardware, which sometimes gets
me tempted to render with one machine and develop on the other.

As I am aware this probably violates the agreement, my question is if it is possible (using screamernet) to
render out my project to say my desktop on the network and have LightWave functional on my laptop so
I can continue to develop.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed.

JonW
02-23-2013, 05:24 PM
I think we have all used multiple machines when Screamernet has spat the dummy. It's very worthwhile putting in the effort & getting SN going, alone just for the fact that it forces you to be far more organised with your entire system. Naming files, putting everything it the correct folders, the list goes on.

Setting up the main box & the first render node are a challenge, but any extra nodes are easy, you can just copy the folders & change the node, job & ack number of the bat file. Get the first 2 boxes going first.

When it's all working it is satisfying having all the frames coming into a central folder.

Don't _forget_to_name-all-your-files-without-any_gaps_in_their-names.

Read Matt's tutorial, & get SN going when you have the time, not when a job is due!

Spinland
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
As I understand the question, I don't believe Lightwave permits you to run multiple copies of Layout or Modeler on the same network unless your license was purchased with the requisite number of seats. I have it both on my desktop and laptop, and if I forget to close it down on one before trying to open it on the other I am told I don't have enough seats to run it twice.

As far as Screamernet goes, as I understand it you aren't limited to how many nodes you run that on, and none of them count as "seats" for your actual LW license.

Am I understanding the question properly?

michaeldejong
02-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Am I understanding the question properly?

Yes you got it. I understand. Thank's for the feedback guys!

nickdigital
02-23-2013, 10:00 PM
As far as Screamernet goes, as I understand it you aren't limited to how many nodes you run that on, and none of them count as "seats" for your actual LW license.

Actually there is a limit. You're allowed 999 render nodes per bought seat. :-)

JonW
02-23-2013, 10:08 PM
& then you will need a 200kw power supply for the CPUs, plus extra for air conditioning if you can't get rid of the heat!

Spinland
02-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Actually there is a limit. You're allowed 999 render nodes per bought seat. :-)

Yikes! Glad you warned me, that could become a real problem (in my dreams). ;)

Waves of light
02-24-2013, 07:03 AM
I have it installed on my more powerful PC in the office and on my weaker laptop. There is a way to open up Modeler on the laptop, whilst I render on the PC... but that may go against the rules, so I won't post it here. As for SN, it is on my 'big long list of things to do re. Lightwave' which I never get around too due to work commitments.

Spinland
02-24-2013, 07:13 AM
I use SN almost exclusively, but rather than learn the arcane syntax I cheated and bought the Smedge management software. It's a little pricey for the node licenses but I only have a couple of machines so it was worth it to me in saved headaches.

Fernee
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
I use SN almost exclusively, but rather than learn the arcane syntax I cheated and bought the Smedge management software. It's a little pricey for the node licenses but I only have a couple of machines so it was worth it to me in saved headaches.

So... can we install in the main machine and in the laptop, if I only use one or the other...????

Fernee
02-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I just downloaded LW11.5, and didn{t know about the dongle drop... but I NEED to use my studio big machine AND my Laptop for late work at home and at the club (where I install my office sometimes)... can I do that???

- - - Updated - - -

I just downloaded LW11.5, and didn{t know about the dongle drop... but I NEED to use my studio big machine AND my Laptop for late work at home and at the club (where I install my office sometimes)... can I do that???

nickdigital
02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Should be fine since you're the only person using LightWave.

Fernee
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Should be fine since you're the only person using LightWave.

(?) what do you mean??, sorry! the only person... Im confused...

nickdigital
02-26-2013, 11:32 PM
It sounds like you have multiple computers right, but you're the only person who would be using LW? You use it at your office and then at home on a laptop. Since you can't be in two places at once LW would only be being used at a single time.

Fernee
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks! got it... proceed to install (can't wait!!)

Photogram
03-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks! got it... proceed to install (can't wait!!)

Lightwave will run on every system you want but if you buy some plugins that are working on a specific hardware ID i dont think you will be able to licence your plugins on other machines...

bcicio
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
To continue along the same lines... I have upgraded to LW 11.5, both at the office and at home. While LW does not call for the dongle at the office, it still requires that I insert it on my home machine. Is this a Windows 7 (64-bit) verses XP (32-bit) thing? Because if it is, that explains it. Thanks.

BeeVee
03-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Yes, the software licensing only work with Vista or above.

B