PDA

View Full Version : Tiff with PNG with Alpha

GregMalick
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I have a png image with Alpha which I've applied to a surface.
Yet the alpha area is grey when rendered and NOT transparent.

What am I missing here?

prometheus
02-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Nothing wrong here...

GregMalick
02-23-2013, 05:12 PM
I don't get it.

Is there anything wrong with this png?

prometheus
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
i tested...got the same results...But..i figured it out I think..
first..check your opengl and check the transparency channel, then you see it should work, at least for open gl.
Now..go to image editor and select alpha only...that will fix transparency, but I am not sure if you were able to get both transparency and color in one single setting here?
next would be to load the clip in color channel too...and load the clip again, but set that one to enabled in image editor, thatīs the only way I know of right now.

Michael

GregMalick
02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
OK LW11.5 64 bit (just to be sure)

Only partially working.

Load png - set to alpha only - had to invert layer (don't understand why) ... then open VPR looks good.
But same png can't be loaded again (Image Editor just replaces it) and Cloning Image in Image Editor won't let me change the Alpha Channle settings.

This is actually the first image in a AE rendered sequence.
What's the best way to use an image sequence with an alpha without copying and renaming all the images.

OK this is probably a LW BUG.
If I load the PNG and leave it with Alpha Channel enabled and then clone the image You can set to clone to Alpha only.
If you try it in reverse - you cant change the Alpha Channel to enabled in the clone.

Maybe they had a reason for that. Weird.

clintonman
02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
I get some alpha effects when I set transparency to 100%. Image is applied in color and transparency with image editor set to alpha channel enabled.

prometheus
02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
yepp using lw.11.5 64 bit here too..

Well if you only work with one image...you should instance it, and you canīt change color space alpha, but thaīts not what you should change they are greyed out and non active, alpha channel below should be
working.

But..this isnīt the best approach, simply make a copy of the image and rename it to color and the other to alpha.

Michael

Spinland
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
I got your image to use the alpha channel with a node based texture. Is the attached screen shot what you were after? I also attached the object and scene files if they're helpful.

BokadCastle
02-23-2013, 06:59 PM
OK LW11.5 64 bit (just to be sure)

Only partially working.

Load png - set to alpha only - had to invert layer (don't understand why) ... then open VPR looks good.
But same png can't be loaded again (Image Editor just replaces it) and Cloning Image in Image Editor won't let me change the Alpha Channle settings.

This is actually the first image in a AE rendered sequence.
What's the best way to use an image sequence with an alpha without copying and renaming all the images.

OK this is probably a LW BUG.
If I load the PNG and leave it with Alpha Channel enabled and then clone the image You can set to clone to Alpha only.
If you try it in reverse - you cant change the Alpha Channel to enabled in the clone.

Maybe they had a reason for that. Weird.

add image to Transparency, set Transparency to 100%

BokadCastle
02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
this worked, the image is on a ground plane

prometheus
02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I got your image to use the alpha channel with a node based texture. Is the attached screen shot what you were after? I also attached the object and scene files if they're helpful.

simple as that:)

try upping luminosity and add some full precision blur, and use rendered alpha and invert mask and blur only rgb, gives a cool effect suitable for nebulaīs.

Michael

GregMalick
02-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Clintonman & BokadCastle are correct.
Setting the Transparency to 100% did it!

THanks guys!

prometheus
02-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Clintonman & BokadCastle are correct.
Setting the Transparency to 100% did it!

THanks guys!

yepp...thatīs when using transparent layers from photoshop or after effects, black and white image is just enough to put in transparency layer without setting it to 100%...and white will be transparent.

Michael

nickdigital
02-23-2013, 09:09 PM

If you work with image sequences a lot frameD is useful.
http://www.db-w.com/products/framed/about
http://www.db-w.com/products/framed/videos