PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying LWCAD

Tony3d
02-23-2013, 09:40 AM
I am seriously thinking of getting LWCAD. I do absolutely no architectural rendering, but I do a lot of product rendering, and animations. Is it worth the cost? How well does it work on the Mac (stability)? How often does he update your version to keep it compatible with new Mac OS, and Lightwave versions? Does LWCAD have a radius tool like rounder, or router, and is it any better? Finally, must you use the dongle, that would be a deal breaker for me.

UnCommonGrafx
02-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Viktor keeps a beta most times so updates and new features are generally always available.

While the kit has lots of stuff for architectural stuff, I would also contend it's mostly about accurate and powerful tools to model with in LW.

I've used it for years on a wintel-box and now teach it on macs; can't say I've seen any differences of behavior out of the ordinary. That is to say, if your mac gives you probs with lw, it may give you some trouble with lwcad. Sussing out and correcting these errors makes lwcad a solid buy.

Products will go together very quickly with the use of lwcad. It can be a halting experience: "huh, that was ... I'm done. Um..."
A very deep toolset worthy of your moola, I believe.

Tony3d
02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks what about Does LWCAD have a radius tool like rounder, or router, and is it any better? Finally, must you use the dongle, that would be a deal breaker for me.

UnCommonGrafx
02-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Yes, several tools that work on the whole object or parts in these ways.
He just released an 11.5 specific version for that reason, if I recall correctly. Speaking to the dongle on the latter statement.

Tony3d
02-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Are there any videos showing these tools. Don't know what to look for on google.

UnCommonGrafx
02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
http://wtools3d.com/online-help.php
Check out the manual and others. Have you seen this area?
"LW LWCAD tutorials training"

Tony3d
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Ok, thanks.

Tony3d
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Wow, the mass rounding tool is fantastic!

Markc
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
I have LWCad (3.62 currently).
Earlier versions (way back) where a bit unstable with certain tools (this may have been on both platforms).
But the more recent versions are fantastic, every release grows the features more and more.
As others have said, it is great for Arch Viz, but not limited to that area.
I use it constantly for any kind of work!
It brings Modeller tons more features.
Not too sure about the Dongle issue, I still have mine plugged in!

Waves of light
02-23-2013, 01:06 PM
LWCAD works with LW11.5 and without the dongle. But you need the latest version.

As for whether or not to get it.... it is a great edition to your modeler workflow (even if you don't do a lot of arch viz stuff) and after a while, you'll wonder how you modelled without it. The live boolean operations are fantastic... allowing you to draw and cut geometry at the same time.

If you go to the manual - http://www.wtools3d.com/pdf/man4.pdf I think there are links inside of that to videos for most of the features/tool sets.

Tony3d
02-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks all. Been looking at videos on utube. The mass rounding tool really looks good. Does it work better than rounder?

Waves of light
02-23-2013, 01:29 PM
It does in some respects because you can highlight areas you want to round, or round everything at once. And you can choose the amount to round for each select or set of selections.

Tony3d
02-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Would you say the UV mapping is better(easier) to use?

Waves of light
02-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Here's a little video on Mass Round 4.2... see what you think:

http://youtu.be/g8E66np8CYw

As for UV mapping.... it's very very easy now for arch viz stuff, thanks to UV Quad Mapper, which allows you to select your geometry and then expand select, whilst this creates a UV map for you. There are also tools that have a Make UV function, like Pipe. This makes is sooo easy to UV stuff:

jwiede
02-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks all. Been looking at videos on utube. The mass rounding tool really looks good. Does it work better than rounder?
Yep, Mass Round is great, and is significantly more stable than Rounder (esp. w.r.t. MacLW, IME).

I'll go so far as to say that anyone who expects to do any substantial amount of modeling in LW needs LWCAD, whether Mac LW or Windows LW. It's that useful. Viktor's done an amazing job in providing reliable value for cost, and he provides excellent customer service as well.

sami
02-24-2013, 04:38 AM
I do very little (if any) arch stuff and LWCAD is still great. It kind of supercharges Modeler and gives a number of useful upgrades, including the snapping system. I recommend it. I think v4.5 is out soon?

CaptainMarlowe
03-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Yes 4.5 should be out in a few time, and I think it'll be another great update...
@Tony : I bought LWCAD for historical architecture modeling. But I also do a lot of science fiction : I use LWCAD all the time even for that. I use LWCAD whatever the model I create, so to speak...

Tony3d
03-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Ya really looking for to the mass rounding, and UV Mapping tools.