PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for creating chain link?

Bax33
02-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi,
I've created a house and a swing for the front porch. Now I'm trying to create a chain with links like the one pictured. I know I could opt to use the common oval link, but this link has sparked my curiosity and I think it will look better. I've tried using a long tube and the bend tool and was only partially successful. I tried splines thinking I might use railextrude, but it got very confusing to keep track of the side, front and overhead view, especially when I only have this one reference photo. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share how you might approach this? Thanks

UnCommonGrafx
02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
I can only tell you to go back to railextrude and make great use of the perspective window.
There is/used to be a plugin called Rope that would do this with ease.

philthorn
02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I tried a quick test - not great but passable. I drew a quad, used the tweak tool (my new fav!) to drag out additional quads in the basic shape. I then extruded it and hit Tab to SubD it. Tweaked the shape around the other wire by selecting the polys and growing the selection.
Once I had one side I copy/flipped it, deleted the overlapping polys and welded it together.

Waves of light
02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
I would use LWCADs pipe feature. Sorry, I know that's not vanilla Lightwave, but it allows you to add all the points and then go through each point and change it's X/Y/Z position. And whilst you do that, it reshapes the pipe accordingly.

Bax33
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
All good suggestions. I haven't purchased LWCAD yet, but it's on the list. : -) Waves of Light your's really looks good, but until I make that purchase, I'll have to try philthorn's. philthorns should work for now. I'm planning to create an animation where the swing is moving in the wind as I walk up the steps and into the house. Thanks so much to all of for the motivating ideas to get me going again.

Waves of light
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Feel free to use and abuse mine. Seriously though, if LWCAD is on your list then make it top of your list, it is like the nitro to your modeling tool set.

Look forward to the animation.

JoePoe
02-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Joepoe late to the party again.

If it's not too late... plugin bezier_bridge (http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/bezierbridge.php) is really good at connecting up polys with a compound curve.

This object is basically still two ovals which are just joined in an ..... odd way.

It wasn't exactly a piece of cake, but bezier_ bridge did do a lot of the heavy lifting.

JoePoe
02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Here's the object to see process. (or to use)

layers: (named in file too)
1)two ovals in basic position
2)some sections removed to make way for bridging
3)first bridge (btw bridge has to be from a single poly to a single poly)
4)small rotation to set up the right "launch" position for next bridge(s)
5)copied and pasted and moved the end sections of where the next two bridges will start to where they will end
6)last two bridges.... and just some minor tweaking.

(also, I changed the number of sections created in the bridge to 6 (from 16, the default). Didn't need to use the bezier handles much at all) :thumbsup:

philthorn
02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Yep, the pipe method looks cool but I'm not a LWCAD user either. I do so much lowres quad modeling my brain is just wired that way. :-)

BTW - works a treat with Bullet.
http://youtu.be/S-iwyaqXSK0

Bax33
02-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Very awesome suggestions from JoePoe and philthorn. I'll share my animation when complete, but it's going to be awhile. I'm kinda slow at getting these things to work. :) Love that swinging chain philthorn. I hope mine turns out as well. I was trying to animate a human character walking but I gave up on that. I have not conquered humans, faces, or anything very organic. Actually, I'm not sure I've conquered anything yet. lol. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

jeric_synergy
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Nice. (>3 seconds woulda been nicER... ;) )

Waves of light
02-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Yep, the pipe method looks cool but I'm not a LWCAD user either. I do so much lowres quad modeling my brain is just wired that way. :-)

BTW - works a treat with Bullet.
http://youtu.be/S-iwyaqXSK0

Nice.

@Bax33 - Furthermore, I had totally forgotten about this one, but it works in exactly the same way as the LWCAD Pipe function:

http://www.pictrix.jp/?p=3760 (Px_Bezier) and it's free.