PDA

View Full Version : Modeler - different background layer shading modes or lock geometry

dnch
02-22-2013, 08:13 AM
It would be really usefull (and i guess not that hard to implement) to be able to change background layer shading (not only black wireframe), or alternative would be to be able to lock selected geometry (the same way you can hide it) so you can work in context of your model but without accidentally modifying parts you are not working on

bobakabob
02-23-2013, 05:24 PM
d -> display will give you lots of options for background. Keeping geometry in a background layer or denoting as a part and hiding is a good way to avoid modifying accidentally.

dnch
02-23-2013, 08:18 PM
i know but sometimes is really hard to navigate with wireframe in background layer, i would rather have it shaded but locked from editing

jeric_synergy
02-23-2013, 11:09 PM
"Layer Locking" is a very natural and logical feature to desire.

And the Layer Panel has so much potential, but in general is quite weak. :cry:

++++
EDIT: one thing that might have slipped by you, 'cuz it's hidden and tricky is DISPLAY/INTERFACE/CUSTOMIZE INTERFACE COLORS

This will give you deeper control over the UI color, including "BG OGL Mesh (color)", but the catch is you must quit and relaunch to see the effects of this dialog.

At least you'll be able to have something besides a black mesh back there.

Tobian
02-24-2013, 04:30 AM
+1 Layer locking!

jeric_synergy
02-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I'll have to dig up my old "LWM Layer Panel" mockup: it had all sorts of goodies.

Including, maybe, "Selectable BG colors", so that every individual layer could have its own color for when it was a BG Layer.

IMO the neglect of the LWM Layer Panel is one of the prime symptoms of the neglect of LWM over the decades. I suspect LWM will be near unrecognizable in LW12 as the team takes the opportunity to address long-standing concerns.