PDA

View Full Version : LW 11.5 Retopology Technique

insignet
02-22-2013, 03:58 AM
Hi guys

Just posted part 1 of a tutorial showing a Retopology technique using Tweak and Heat Shrink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1sFe7m5UTI

Hope you find it useful.

Ian Thompson

alexs3d
02-22-2013, 05:05 AM
hi ian,

thanks for that great tutorial, very clear and easy teaching style ;)
it is the same idea i had a while ago, it would be awesome if the tweak tool had the snapping options like the other new tools, so retopo would be much easier :)

but i think this is part of another update :)

canīt wait to see part two ...

cheers...

Emmanuel
02-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Yeah, snapping would be fine, to vertices in the backdrop and the foreground, so that the "connect four points to make a poly" at the end wouldnt be required anymore.

alexs3d
02-22-2013, 05:21 AM
this could already be done with the new line pen tool, i tried it and it works great for retopology, but only in perspektive mode.

Yeah, snapping would be fine, to vertices in the backdrop and the foreground, so that the "connect four points to make a poly" at the end wouldnt be required anymore.

insignet
02-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Cool... thanks, glad you liked it, part 2 is finished will upload soon. Thanks again for your comments.

insignet
02-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi again...

Here's part 2 of the tutorial... http://youtu.be/BDfoFxqMtLY

lertola2
02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Thank you. Very interesting tutorial.

jwiede
02-23-2013, 12:11 AM
The main thing missing from a really efficient retopo workflow, IMO, is the inability to quickly create strips, grids, and fans of polys. The pen is pretty quick for creating polys, but I find being stuck to one-by-one is still just way too slow to be efficient. Heat-shrinking grids in helps, no question, but I still tend to prefer to be able to draw them out (as with that one "SketchMesh" plugin from Japan), or at least drag out strips/fans without having to create them separately. It really wouldn't take that much additional tool-wise to enable rather efficient retopo in LW, though, and it's nice to see that, no question.

Baba
02-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Heat shrink is nice and all but I wish someone would write 64bit versions of the old add point on BG an move point on BG plug ins. They were (are) my favourite tools for retopo. The combination Tweak and move point on BG works a lot faster and precise than heat shrink but switching back and forth from 32 to 64 is cumbersome.

chikega
03-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Topogun for $100 USD seems to be a useful addition to Lightwave.

Hail
03-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Very interesting indeed

safetyman
03-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Topogun for $100 USD seems to be a useful addition to Lightwave.

Blender has stellar snapping tools and tools that make retopo quite easy (and it's free) if you're going to go the outside of LW route.

Julez4001
03-05-2013, 03:46 AM
The main thing missing from a really efficient retopo workflow, IMO, is the inability to quickly create strips, grids, and fans of polys. The pen is pretty quick for creating polys, but I find being stuck to one-by-one is still just way too slow to be efficient. Heat-shrinking grids in helps, no question, but I still tend to prefer to be able to draw them out (as with that one "SketchMesh" plugin from Japan), or at least drag out strips/fans without having to create them separately. It really wouldn't take that much additional tool-wise to enable rather efficient retopo in LW, though, and it's nice to see that, no question.

I totally agree with Jwiede.
3DCoat has a great implementation of this...it should be mimicked and that SketchMesh tool that was in pre-development years ago would make for a efficient process.

However Kudos for Insignet for taking the classic LW forum way and developing a process with the new tools in LW 11.5. Thank you, Thank you.

hunter
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Agree with all here. Thank you for putting this together. It would be cool if the tweak tool could work like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EuGuBDhUEWU

ConjureBunny
03-07-2013, 10:00 AM
It almost can. And if you watch the LW 11.5 launch video, you see that there are some options on the tweak tool that didn't make it to the final product. I get the feeling this is only the first step for that tool.

-Chilton

alexs3d
03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
thatīs right, in the lw 11.5 video you can see the tweak tool with snapping options and this would be the perfect retopology tool, extending edges, points .... and conform to background :)

It almost can. And if you watch the LW 11.5 launch video, you see that there are some options on the tweak tool that didn't make it to the final product. I get the feeling this is only the first step for that tool.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out why MY version of LightWave didn't have those options, after watching the video :)

-Chilton

alexs3d
03-11-2013, 02:20 AM
yup, i too, i sent a bugreport because i thought it was an error :) *lool*

Yeah I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out why MY version of LightWave didn't have those options, after watching the video :)

-Chilton