PDA

View Full Version : FFX and VPR

Chrusion
02-21-2013, 04:57 PM
This is probably in the read me or talked about somewhere, but a forum search turned up nothing I could see.

I find it very strange that VPR renders the SHADOWS from FFX hair (beard), but NOT the hair itself. Is there a setting I'm not seeing or is this a known limitation? If the latter, then why do shadows render, but not the stuff casting the shadows?

This is my FIRST use of FFX and using the default, non-volume, pixel filter rendering mode and was expecting to see the beard on my character in VPR.

Oops! If I turn On 'volume only' in FFX, then it does render in VPR. Makes sense as I assume pixel filters are not included in VPR renders, but volumetrics obviously are. Only bad thing is that volumetric hair renders so much slower (again for obvious reasons) so, the old F9 test render method is the only way to preview non-volumetric hair.

UnCommonGrafx
02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Yup, you've missed nothing.

Hail
02-22-2013, 04:15 AM
Oops! yeah that's true with FiberFx, it seems VPR can only render fibers in volume mode

Greenlaw
02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I sometimes use volumetrics mode in VPR to preview the shading of pixel filter mode during my FiberFX setup. In many cases, volume can look pretty close to the pixels filter's render result. If VPR gets too slow, I'll take a note of my density settings and temporarily reduce them--this doesn't matter too much since I'm mainly just checking surface properties and VPR will speed up. When I'm done checking I'll set it back to the density I really want.

For efficiency's sake, with VPR or f9, I like to do my initial setups with lower density to keep renders quick and turn it up when I'm in the finishing stage. I also make use of limited region quite a bit.

VPR is also useful for checking FiberFX shadow density settings and in this case I really don't want to see the fibers. I actually find this use of VPR more useful when setting up FiberFX.

G.