PDA

View Full Version : LiveText talking with database excel file

JonRaidel
02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Wondering if anyone has made this work.

Im setting up graphics for MLB Spring Training in Arizona. Id like to create a database with player bio and link it to a headshot. Then display that information on a lower third via Livetext.

At the moment Im not looking for stats integration. just simply a bio.

PIZAZZ
02-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Jon,

Zach Schuster and I worked on something to do just that.

Let me see if I can get him to chime in.

JonRaidel
02-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Pizazz,
If you have a example Id love to see how you got it to work. just trying to do something so simple that saves so much time in the long run.

PIZAZZ
02-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Jon,

You have a ChyronIP unit don't you? There might be an easier way to do it with the Chyron setup.

JonRaidel
02-21-2013, 03:09 PM
our truck has a chyron ip. but i do not operate it. all of our assets are on livetext unfortunately.

PIZAZZ
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM
our truck has a chyron ip. but i do not operate it. all of our assets are on livetext unfortunately.

So you are like me then. Gotta do things the hard way... :)

Did you see AKScooter's previous post about using Excel?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?114845-Using-Excel-to-pull-data-for-LiveText

Some of what Zach parsed and talked about is here:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?126132-Excel-Spreadsheet-Imported-Into-LiveText

I will have to fire up the Production Trailer tomorrow to pull off the Excel doc we have used in the past.

Couple Key things to remember:
Use the normal version of Excel... no Open Office or Google Docs
Make copies of the original version before butchering it up. lesson learned.

JonRaidel
02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
yes Ive read those threads and it seems like more complicated stuff than what i was looking to do. between this and getting the score controller out here to work its been quite a day.

ZachSchuster
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Jon,

I echo Jef's remarks, use the akscooter file as a starting point. I'm using Excel to pull in a whole bunch of StatCrew XML data (no longer HTML tables), but that template can be pretty easily manipulated to do what you want. PM and we can talk some more.

Thanks,

Zach

3xScreen
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
The problem we found with linking Livetext to Excel is that we couldn't figure out how to get Excel to dynamically update the data it made available to Livetext - ie if you change the player's bio in your example above, we couldn't get Excel to update that data unless we saved and re-linked the file - that could have just been us... we would be interested to hear if anyone else has made that work

Instead we have taken an XML-centric approach, we use a script written in Python to look at whatever XML feed we want to access every second. It reads the source XML and populates LiveData.xml so Livetext finds an XML format that it expects.

The source XML can be on a different machine on the local network - or on the internet - all that is handled by the script so that Livetext is simply able to access its local LiveData.xml file and read data it understands.

The source XML can be can be generated by any application, including Excel. After we parse the source XML we always end up with a LiveText readable LiveData.xml - which is regularly updated.

regards, the 3xScreen team

PIZAZZ
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
The problem we found with linking Livetext to Excel is that we couldn't figure out how to get Excel to dynamically update the data it made available to Livetext - ie if you change the player's bio in your example above, we couldn't get Excel to update that data unless we saved and re-linked the file - that could have just been us... we would be interested to hear if anyone else has made that work

Instead we have taken an XML-centric approach, we use a script written in Python to look at whatever XML feed we want to access every second. It reads the source XML and populates LiveData.xml so Livetext finds an XML format that it expects.

The source XML can be on a different machine on the local network - or on the internet - all that is handled by the script so that Livetext is simply able to access its local LiveData.xml file and read data it understands.

The source XML can be can be generated by any application, including Excel. After we parse the source XML we always end up with a LiveText readable LiveData.xml - which is regularly updated.

regards, the 3xScreen team

Your solution sounds very nice. I would love to peek at that Python script.