PDA

View Full Version : 20% off Conjure for LightWave users

ConjureBunny
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Good afternoon!

I've received a few emails asking what that was I kept everything in, in my LightWave 11.5 training videos.

That's Conjure.

And for a limited time, I'm offering a 20% discount through Liberty3D.com

http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/02/20-off-conjure-for-lightwave3d-users/

Conjure is an unlimited, tabbed, virtual desktop and brainstorming environment for OS X. I've been trying to explain what it is for almost a decade now, and it doesn't fit neatly into any category of software out there. Take a look at the video, grab the free demo of version 4.5, and let me know what you think!

If you love it, it's $19.95 if you buy it through Liberty3D.com

Thanks!
-Chilton

Darth Mole
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi Chilton! What 11.5 training videos?

ConjureBunny
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi Darth!

This is one specific to 11.5
http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/02/modeling-the-m-a-c-o-in-lightwave3d-11-5/

And this is the intro to Unity for 11.5 users...
http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/02/intro-to-unity3d-for-lightwave3d-users/

Both are beginner to intermediate level videos.
Part 2 for both of them will be more in the intermediate to advanced range.

Thanks!
-Chilton

Thomas Helzle
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Any plans for a Windows version?

Cheers,

Tom

GregMalick
02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Any plans for a Windows version?

Cheers,

Tom

Stop reading my mind, Tom.

Oh and I don't think this can be done in Windows (sigh).
I suddenly have mac envy.

Spinland
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
And I suddenly feel Mac vindication. So many Mac-specific bugs in 11.5, I needed a boost. ;)

Thomas Helzle
02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Hey Greg!

Well, I work on a mac actually, but never use OSX. Not my thing, not at all ;-)

But at least I can give the demo a try :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Dot3
02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
The link is broken, please fix it if you can I must have this :D OMG and you must create a Windows version and an IOS version and they must all sync ...... ok I've pulled myself together, this is really nice and dare I say fun I will gladly pay $20 but cant find it on Liberty 3D Thank you and good day :D

ConjureBunny
02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry about that, Dot, the link should work now :)

-Chilton

Dillon
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
This is a GREAT concept (I'm about to trial this).

I'm sure you already thought of this - how about a tab where you can SHARE the desktop and collaborate with others visually? People could work collaboratively on the same space from anywhere in the world.

:)

I'm sorry about that, Dot, the link should work now :)

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
That's the #1 requested item. I actually added it as a feature that let you colaborate over MobileMe. Then, about a week later, Apple declared that technology dead. The current version supports DropBox, but not as interactively as I'd like.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to provide this as a collaboration tool over the web.

-Chilton

Dillon
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
This one feature would make it the "killer app".

That's the #1 requested item. I actually added it as a feature that let you colaborate over MobileMe. Then, about a week later, Apple declared that technology dead. The current version supports DropBox, but not as interactively as I'd like.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to provide this as a collaboration tool over the web.

-Chilton

jasonwestmas
02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Mac only? very disappointing :(

Dot3
02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Done Thank you Powerup is Next :D

raymondtrace
02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
This is indeed a cool tool but those on Windows or Linux should be able to find something comparable. While it does a lot more, I'd put Conjure in a category better known as scrapbook or notebook apps. It shares similar features to Microsoft OneNote for Windows or BasKet Notes for Linux.

ConjureBunny
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
It's similar in that regard. Just make sure you add in file management, and true virtual desktops. As far as I know, all of the "virtual desktop" environments on all platforms are actually just window switchers / skin engines. You don't get any real file access changes.

raymondtrace
02-26-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm confused by your distinction. Window or context switching is the primary intent of virtual desktops. I might be missing something from the demo but I'm not sure your app qualifies as a true virtual desktop. I don't see apps running within it or attached to it. Switching Conjure's tabs does not activate/reveal different arrangements of application windows. The only context switching I see in Conjure is the turning of traditional scrapbook pages.

This is not to discredit your nifty application. I was just pointing out that users of other platforms do not need to feel left out. There are similar tools for them too. And seeing that Conjure relies heavily on Apple APIs, it would not be ideal for users of other systems to hold their breath for a port.

ConjureBunny
02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi,

Fair enough. I think the concept of "desktop" is what you make of it.

If you define the desktop as the windows and applications that are running, then Conjure isn't exactly a virtual desktop environment.

Personally, I think of the desktop as a thing like my real desk top. It's a place I put things that are relevant to what I'm doing right now, and a thing that helps me organize things. It's not just a scrapbook, since it does actively work with some other apps, and allows you to work with files, applications, printers, drives, and people.

(I realize 'people' aren't a thing like files on other operating systems, but they are, in Conjure)

Conjure does have a few window management features, but there are a lot of window managers out there, so I didn't see a point in emphasizing that ability.

I've spent around 20 years porting software back and forth between Mac and PC platforms. Porting Conjure to the PC would not be that huge of a task. What I'm wondering is if there's sufficient demand for it. For now, I'm not convinced there is.

-Chilton

jasonwestmas
02-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Hi,

I've spent around 20 years porting software back and forth between Mac and PC platforms. Porting Conjure to the PC would not be that huge of a task. What I'm wondering is if there's sufficient demand for it. For now, I'm not convinced there is.

-Chilton

Why not at least a moderate demand? I'm not convinced yet that there is anything quite like this that would compete with these features on the MS windows side. If it's not a huge task then I'd say go for it. I'm a designer at heart and would love to use this to communicate between peers and organize my thoughts on any computer.

ConjureBunny
02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Why not at least a moderate demand? I'm not convinced yet that there is anything quite like this that would compete with these features on the MS windows side. If it's not a huge task then I'd say go for it. I'm a designer at heart and would love to use this to communicate between peers and organize my thoughts on any computer.

Hmm. Maybe there is something there.

nickdigital
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm very intrigued. Your demo had me blown away. I also was blown away by the price. I expected 10x what you're selling it at. If you do make a pc version I would buy it.

Ernest
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
What I'm wondering is if there's sufficient demand for it. For now, I'm not convinced there is.

-Chilton

Don't wonder; make a Kickstarter.

raymondtrace
02-27-2013, 07:33 AM
What I'm wondering is if there's sufficient demand for it. For now, I'm not convinced there is.

Are you not convinced because you believe Mac OS X holds a greater market share than Windows OS?

Are you not convinced because there are comparable apps already available for Windows?

jasonwestmas
02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
I'd also like the point out that the less time I have to spend in the MS office suite the better. ;)

ConjureBunny
02-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi Raymond,

Are you not convinced because you believe Mac OS X holds a greater market share than Windows OS?
For years, the number of creative people I knew who used a Mac exceeded the number of creative people I knew who used Windows.

That is no longer the case. The marketshare is much bigger on the PC side, from what I can tell. I'm slightly concerned about disseminating news and information to PC users, but this is increasingly a problem on the Mac as well. Apple's Mac App store has created a new bottleneck for apps, and Conjure hasn't been allowed in yet.

Are you not convinced because there are comparable apps already available for Windows?
Not so much. The biggest problem I've had with Conjure is finding people who are interested in these concepts at all. Where there's an existing, established product, there's a market for new variations on it.

People like new stuff, if it's kinda like what they know.
People are scared of new stuff if it's not like anything they know.
I had that backwards for years ;-)

The real reason I haven't ported it is that the environment I'd probably use is owned by people I dislike. But that's petty, and it's getting in the way of my dream of owning a solid gold urinal.

So after some consideration, I think the reasons I've used to justify the Mac-only platform for the last decade are no longer relevant, and I'll get to work on a port.

-Chilton

jasonwestmas
02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
"People like new stuff, if it's kinda like what they know.
People are scared of new stuff if it's not like anything they know.
I had that backwards for years ;-)"

What I like to hoot and hollar about a lot is the fact that a good design is a good design and that unfamiliarity is not a reason to avoid something. Familiarity is not a reason to embrace something either. Ease of use quickly shines through when it is designed to be that way. On the other side of the tracks, I tend to avoid software I know pretty well if it's still a pain to use. I merely think that ease of use balanced with power trumps everything else.

nickdigital
02-27-2013, 08:43 AM
When do you think the pc version will be ready?

ConjureBunny
02-27-2013, 10:17 AM
When do you think the pc version will be ready?

I'll probably start on it this weekend, so probably about a week from then.

-Chilton

Thomas Helzle
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Cool - I didn't expect that :-)

BTW. I'm on a mailinglist of writers who use "Liquid Story Binder". These people always look for ways to sort and organize information in an intuitive manner. I would be happy to announce your tool there when it's ready.

Count me in.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. Would you mind sharing what framework/environment you are using?

nickdigital
02-27-2013, 10:31 AM

-Chilton

Oh wow, that's really quick!

Dot3
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM

-Chilton

Yes!! and if the Mac version can Sync with the PC version you will have hit it out of the park :D cant wait and if you need a beta tester I'm your man :D

ConjureBunny
02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Cool - I didn't expect that :-)

BTW. I'm on a mailinglist of writers who use "Liquid Story Binder". These people always look for ways to sort and organize information in an intuitive manner. I would be happy to announce your tool there when it's ready.

Count me in.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. Would you mind sharing what framework/environment you are using?

Most likely, LiveCode.

Now, that said, I have issues with them. Serious, longstanding personal, fanboy-style issues. Like those found between...
Republicans vs. Democrats, Liberals vs. Conservatives, Modo vs. LightWave users, Mac vs. PC, etc.

But they have a good, solid product, and I'm not so petty that I won't acknowledge that. And I'm fairly adept at using it.

So I'm willing to put my personal issues aside for money.

-Chilton

Orimar
03-02-2013, 03:19 PM
The PC port is great news. I'm in.

Thanks, Chilton.

nickdigital
03-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Will the Liberty3D promo still be available for the pc version?

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Yes it will!

-Chilton

Bax33
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm interested in the PC version as well. Any idea when the release date will be?

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 10:20 AM
I was going to release it later this week, but it's looking like closer to two weeks from this weekend, now. I had a few clients pipe up with "emergency" projects that will demand my time this week. Fun.

-Chilton

prometheus
03-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Ivé been using conceptdraw wich is nice to set up brainstorming ideas, and design the chart with different style and views including outline, documents within the mindmap can be links, images,files etc with notes and can be sent to concept project charts.
http://www.conceptdraw.com/

Not sure if I need another one, but please provide as much video feedback you can on how it looks and works, I saw a glimpse of it but didnīt check it thoroughly.
Michael

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 11:01 AM
The conceptDraw product costs $200, and is only a brainstorming / organizing tool.

That's a subset of what Conjure does, for 10x the price.

I would not feel right charging people so much for so little, but maybe that's my problem ;-)

-Chilton

nickdigital
03-10-2013, 11:05 AM
What is the upgrade policy for Conjure? Do you just pay the difference between what you have and what you want?

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
If you buy the $5 one-shot registration, it's only good for the current version. In other words, if you're using it, and you like it, and you want to keep using the current version (but you don't care about udpates), that's the option for you.

If you buy the full version, it's $25.

I think the only update price I've charged was for 2.x users to update to 4.x, and then it was $10.

I am a terrible capitalist.

-Chilton

nickdigital
03-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Ok so if someone buys the $25 version and then wants the unlimited one they pay $25 because that's the difference between the two?

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Oh, right, I forgot about the Unlimited version.

I had a few Apple Inc. and HP Inc. based users who wanted to know if they could buy in now, at a reduced price, and get lifetime updates for free, for all versions, without having to go through the corporate channel to buy upgrades. Apparently that's a PITA.

I haven't really set an upgrade policy for future versions, but it will probably be half of the current version price. So if 5.0 comes around and you bought 4.0, it would cost half of whatever 5.0 costs at that time.

-Chilton

nickdigital
03-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Well as someone who has to deal with enterprise level purchases I can testify that it is a PITA.

So is the Unlimited only for corporate entities? Cuz if Conjure is really as fun as it looks I was probably going to do that personally. I'd test drive the demo first and then if all is good I'd go Unlimited.

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 12:52 PM
The Unlimited version is absolutely for anyone. :)

-Chilton

nickdigital
03-10-2013, 12:57 PM
The Unlimited version is absolutely for anyone. :)

-Chilton

Woohoo!

prometheus
03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
The conceptDraw product costs $200, and is only a brainstorming / organizing tool.

That's a subset of what Conjure does, for 10x the price.

I would not feel right charging people so much for so little, but maybe that's my problem ;-)

-Chilton

Two different tools here...I think thereīs more to concept draw than just nailing it down to a subset of what conjure does.
Is there any export options for different formats once you have set your mindmap brainstorming up, such as pst,xml,pdf etc?
can you expand/collapse and re-arrange the mindmap tree in different structures?
donīt think conjure has a connection to project charts does it?

anyway, I get the point of conjure..it is flashy and cool with itīs desktop control, I like the docking to cluster feature, I would like to have a desktop control where I can simple put my programs
in my own icon designed docks, that can be expanded to different levels, levels depending on which type of software, and from that I would like to be able to launch it directly.

I remember testing windows dock quite a while ago, that was quite nice, even though I would like to have more/full control over icon look, size etc..
windows dock was quite stressing on the system memory though so I choose not to use it.

a few weeks ago I actually started som mindmapping notes for what is suppose to be a pdf compendium that I will combine in to Indesign with graphics and post on the forums as my P.O.V of what I think needs
to be attended to inside of Lighwave (for my pleasure:))
I have a lot to do before that is finnished in a graphicly pleasing way too.
See images.

The pricing and the coolness of conjure is attractive, no doubt..I would like to see a version for windows first, mac isnīt any option here really..there isnīt a demo available for win now is there?

Michael

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 03:58 PM
You're correct, they are very different products. I don't intend on turning Conjure into a purely brainstorming app. I added an entire mind mapping engine to it, but it's just not the direction I want it to go in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Itp44cm1I

-Chilton

jasonwestmas
03-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Oh man I love to write and how you write things non-linearly and then assemble it in a linear fashion in a text editor later, makes total sense! Because many of us who enjoy writing do it like that anyway. Thanks for showing that. Then adding in pictures to the mix is cool too.

Thomas Helzle
04-04-2013, 09:04 AM
So how's it going with the PC version? ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

nickdigital
04-09-2013, 11:24 PM
So how's it going with the PC version? ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

I'm curious too.

ConjureBunny
04-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Conjure for Windows is officially "in progress".

I have a list of things I promised myself I'd do, if I ever started over on this. So this version will be much closer to my original intent, especially with regard to sharing desktops across the internet.

For example, I already generate a text file that is very similar to an html webpage for each desktop. But why stop there? Why not make each desktop an actual html file, so you can publish things online as easily as dragging them to the desktop. And I could link those desktops to an ftp url, so when you update your local copy, a push of a button (or menu item) updates your website.

And then, why not generate an RSS feed as well? I don't want to make Conjure into a full web browser, since there are plenty of those already. But if I'm going this far anyway, maybe Conjure should be able to load a web page (if it was originally generated in Conjure), and turn it back into an editable local desktop. You could even 'subscribe' to publicly created Conjure pages. That would allow a teacher to update a slide during a presentation, and every computer in the class would instantly be updated. Or an artist in a VFX shop could change concept art on a backdrop, and all of the other users' copies of Conjure at the shop would be updated instantly, even if they weren't using that desktop at the time. And the holy grail, realtime whiteboard style data sharing, will be in this one. It's all about sharing, for this version.

Anyway, big stuff coming up. It's definitely on the way, now. This will be Conjure 5. :)

-Chilton

Orimar
04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
This sounds even better. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Thomas Helzle
04-17-2013, 03:09 AM
Interesting! I look forward to see what you come up with :-)

Cheers,

Tom

nickdigital
07-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Any new news?

Orimar
07-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes, please, do tell.

nickdigital
08-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Conjure for Windows is officially "in progress".

Bump.
Is this still the case?

ConjureBunny
08-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Yep, still in progress. It was a much busier summer than I expected or I think I'd be showing off a beta right now.

-Chilton

nickdigital
08-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the pc version.

meshpig
08-28-2013, 02:07 AM
I think I've bought Conjure at least twice already. The last time was when the password was just a .php make one up, now it's asking for a serial number??

ConjureBunny
08-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Hi,

That's odd. The password system hasn't changed since I created the first version. Email me at [email protected] and I'll see if I can dig up your password.

-Chilton

Philbert
08-30-2013, 04:44 AM
Just saw this. mac only makes me a sad panda. :(

meshpig
08-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Hi,

That's odd. The password system hasn't changed since I created the first version. Email me at [email protected] and I'll see if I can dig up your password.

-Chilton

Thanks Chilton, but I must have a password from the days when it was "made in 43 minutes" beta? :)

Orimar
08-31-2013, 10:22 AM

Read back a page or two and then stay tuned.

ConjureBunny
08-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Mesh, it's all good, that password should still work. Seriously. I have (AFAICT) zero pirated serial numbers out there, so I've never felt the need to change my security measures :)

So if your password doesn't work, shoot me an email and I'll send you one that does.

I'm not saying I encourage piracy, but at some point I'd prefer if half the world pirated it. Plus it's dirt cheap.

-Chilton

Philbert
08-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Read back a page or two and then stay tuned.

I read the whole thread.

Orimar
08-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Quoting Chilton from post #52, above:

"Conjure for Windows is officially "in progress".

I have a list of things I promised myself I'd do, if I ever started over on this. So this version will be much closer to my original intent, especially with regard to sharing desktops across the internet.

For example, I already generate a text file that is very similar to an html webpage for each desktop. But why stop there? Why not make each desktop an actual html file, so you can publish things online as easily as dragging them to the desktop. And I could link those desktops to an ftp url, so when you update your local copy, a push of a button (or menu item) updates your website.

And then, why not generate an RSS feed as well? I don't want to make Conjure into a full web browser, since there are plenty of those already. But if I'm going this far anyway, maybe Conjure should be able to load a web page (if it was originally generated in Conjure), and turn it back into an editable local desktop. You could even 'subscribe' to publicly created Conjure pages. That would allow a teacher to update a slide during a presentation, and every computer in the class would instantly be updated. Or an artist in a VFX shop could change concept art on a backdrop, and all of the other users' copies of Conjure at the shop would be updated instantly, even if they weren't using that desktop at the time. And the holy grail, realtime whiteboard style data sharing, will be in this one. It's all about sharing, for this version.

Anyway, big stuff coming up. It's definitely on the way, now. This will be Conjure 5."

And, from #58:

"Yep, still in progress. It was a much busier summer than I expected or I think I'd be showing off a beta right now."

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Should pandas around the world still be sad?

ConjureBunny
05-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Should pandas around the world still be sad?

Um... oh boy. For now, I suppose that is a yes. I haven't had a chance to get the PC version of Conjure fully off the ground yet.

<adds one more thing to giant list of things I forgot I'm behind on>

-Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a sec... where'd the whole damned year go?? Aggggh.

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Ok, you are single-handedly responsible for crying pandas now, haha.

No worries, welcome to the club "I have too much on my to-do list."

ConjureBunny
05-22-2014, 06:30 PM

I think we could all use a spare year.

(Or two, because I'd probably procrastinate or worry half of it away.)

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 07:37 PM
That being said, I'm still interested in a pc version. :-)

ConjureBunny
09-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Just FYI, the new version of Conjure for Mac and PC is nearly done.

In fact, I'm building a custom version specifically geared for use with LightWave.

More details soon!
-Chilton

ernpchan
09-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Yeah! Pandas are no longer sad.

jasonwestmas
09-21-2014, 09:54 AM
ooo wow, I'm starting a long project and need this. Thanks for sticking with it!

prometheus
09-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Just FYI, the new version of Conjure for Mac and PC is nearly done.

In fact, I'm building a custom version specifically geared for use with LightWave.

More details soon!
-Chilton

Chilton...why donīt you put a link in the sign to the conjure software? though I donīt know if that is against forum rules in anyway?

Will be interesting once you showcase windows version of it and what you are up to with compability for lightwave..but remember to make it easy to find the page where you have all the stuff, so we donīt have to
jump back to the first page of this thread to find it :)

I liked the way you can dock and expand out stuff, would like to have something like that on the desktop for certain programs, like you make a special menu with your modeling software, or landscape software, or paint software and make special cluster docks for those.

GraphXs
09-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Looks messy, just like my desk... Though I would like to see what it does for lightwave/windows users.