PDA

View Full Version : I got premiere !!!

rednova
02-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Dear Friends:

I just got an original copy of adobe premiere, and was able to install.
Is running super...and I am now so happy !!!
Love !!!

dsol
02-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Was this the "free" cs2 version that was linked to a while back? Have fun. All 3D work benefits from good editing and colour correction - so Premiere is a very useful tool

rednova
02-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Thank you for your comment !!!
Is a brand new sealed copy of premiere elements 8.
Is running super, and I am really really happy :)

BigHache
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
All 3D work benefits from good editing and colour correction

Just curious, have you been able to do any useful color correction in Premiere? My new job uses Premiere and I gave up on its color correction so just wondering.

m.d.
02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I use colorista in PPRO

just get davinci lite....free and good for 1080p

Snosrap
02-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Thank you for your comment !!!
Is a brand new sealed copy of premiere elements 8.
Is running super, and I am really really happy :)
I hope you gave the Sony Vegas family of editors a test drive first. :)

Megalodon2.0
02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
I hope you gave the Sony Vegas family of editors a test drive first. :)

I really like Sony Vegas Pro - though I've only got up to v9.

So far that's been great. I'll probably wait till v13 or v14 arrives. ;)

dsol
02-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Just curious, have you been able to do any useful color correction in Premiere? My new job uses Premiere and I gave up on its color correction so just wondering.

The CC tools built into Premier Pro CS6 are decent enough - you have levels, curves, 3-way correctors, HLS (which covers 90% of CC). But - like others here - I have Colorista installed too - which is my go-to tool for CC work. Then Magic Bullet looks for the final finish.
For "proper" colour correction I tend to online my edits in After Effects and use the tools in there (and also apply any VFX touchups/enhancements needed). But Premiere Pro, FCPX and (I've heard) Vegas are all very capable too and more than enough for most people. Not sure about Premiere Elements though.

BigHache
02-21-2013, 04:20 AM
just get davinci lite....free and good for 1080p

This is what I just did yesterday, actually. Coming from Apple Color I do like it.

The CC tools built into Premier Pro CS6 are decent enough

My experience has been opposite, which is why I asked. I just found I can't push the 3-way in PP really far at all before the image starts to fall apart.

sami
02-21-2013, 04:29 AM
This is what I just did yesterday, actually. Coming from Apple Color I do like it.

My experience has been opposite, which is why I asked. I just found I can't push the 3-way in PP really far at all before the image starts to fall apart.

I actually hated Apple Color and Motion, I went to FCP Studio years ago for better HD support, and came back running and screaming a few years ago (since CS5) and I love Premiere again. (those Conan Obrien videos are a riot) I could never get the hang of how weird Motion was to me compared to After Effects. I did have some success with Color, but i just didn't like it so much for my purposes.

But have you tried SpeedGrade which now comes with Premiere (if you get the CS6 Production Premium bundle)?

I used to love IRIDAS's tools like FrameCycler and was very pleased Adobe bought them. But I haven't been doing much grading and haven't really taken SpeedGrade for a run. But if it's as good as IRIDAS used to be, then that would be cool.

rednova
02-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Hi:
I haven't tried Sony Vegas, but i would give it a try later.However, premiere is working super and it does perfectly what I need.
Is also very easy to use . Cheers !!!

hrgiger
02-21-2013, 07:56 AM
I like Premiere. Thanks to $50 a month for the cloud, I'm rocking all the Adobe apps.

Spinland
02-21-2013, 08:20 AM
I like Premiere. Thanks to $50 a month for the cloud, I'm rocking all the Adobe apps.

I, also. I cut my editing teeth on Premiere Elements and remember it fondly. I'm still not ready to trust cloud based subscriptions, though, so recently ponied up for CS6. Might be the last cash Adobe sees out of me for a while.

dsol
02-21-2013, 10:07 AM

It's OK for light work - though as I own Colorista (and other grading tools), I rarely use the built-in 3-way at all. SpeedGrade looks pretty cool, but the roundtripping (with corresponding loss of effects) always puts me off using external grading apps. I don't do much grading for a living, so I'm not pretending I'm a "pro" in this area. But I've got great results using After Effects (though it can be slow for final render!).

And as someone else said - Davinci Lite is amazing - and free. Going back to Premiere Pro - I know that effects are rendered at lower quality by default - do the CC issues get reduced when you do a final export at best quality rendering I wonder?

m.d.
02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
best quality rendering really only affects resize algorithm used on scaling....
and if you are using CUDA acceleration the resize is always lanczos whether best quality is checked or not....
checking maximum bit depth could make a difference....

the effects are rendered at high quality.....and premiere has one of the best render engines under the hood...dealing with 32 bit floating point when final cut could barely handle 10 bit...sony vegas also has good quality under the hood...

really the color tools are fine...just the controls are not that intuitive...

as far as losing effects...davinci is a little bit better for that if you export a final cut XML you will get transitions ect...but retimes will not come through....but you can make a master timeline in which you do the grade on the clips themselves and re conform inside premiere....

i agree though...after effects is a fine way to go as long as the project is not too long....and you do have color finesse there which is great...

the annoying thing doing color in PPRO or AE is applying a CC effect to each individual clip...then opening a separate interface to edit it....gets tedious after a while.

The editor with the best interface for that is avid....you have a separate color correction workspace that automatically applies the effect if you adjust the controls while over a clip...you never have to leave the color correction window....

But I hate editing in avid....

BigHache
02-21-2013, 07:31 PM
I actually hated Apple Color and Motion, I went to FCP Studio years ago for better HD support, and came back running and screaming a few years ago (since CS5) and I love Premiere again. (those Conan Obrien videos are a riot) I could never get the hang of how weird Motion was to me compared to After Effects. I did have some success with Color, but i just didn't like it so much for my purposes.

But have you tried SpeedGrade which now comes with Premiere (if you get the CS6 Production Premium bundle)?

I've always hated Motion.

I've had decent success with Color. Grading is not my foremost skill so it did what I needed. A guy I work with turned me onto Resolve, he didn't have good comments on SpeedGrade which seems to be a similar consensus on the Net. With enough cursory research of folks saying 'meh' to SpeedGrade I figured I would just follow that Wisdom so no, I've not even opened it.

It's OK for light work - though as I own Colorista (and other grading tools), I rarely use the built-in 3-way at all. SpeedGrade looks pretty cool, but the roundtripping (with corresponding loss of effects) always puts me off using external grading apps. I don't do much grading for a living, so I'm not pretending I'm a "pro" in this area. But I've got great results using After Effects (though it can be slow for final render!).

I have the bundled Colorista for AE at home but I hate doing any editing in AE. If it's a single shot that needs work, that's different.

Premiere works. It has some things that I really like, then it has some quirks that I can't stand. If I can stay in AE and LW all day long I'm a happy panda.

Silkrooster
02-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Yeah, I finially gave in a few days ago. Except I was able to get the deal price for a year. I didn't know they added a bunch of apps. So I have a some investigating to do. I like the idea that each app is a separate install though, makes it easier to deal with group of apps.

sami
02-22-2013, 03:57 AM
I've always hated Motion.

I've had decent success with Color. Grading is not my foremost skill so it did what I needed. A guy I work with turned me onto Resolve, he didn't have good comments on SpeedGrade which seems to be a similar consensus on the Net. With enough cursory research of folks saying 'meh' to SpeedGrade I figured I would just follow that Wisdom so no, I've not even opened it.

Interesting about SpeedGrade. I've always liked Iridas' stuff before, and no one beats their performance and RAM playback stuff, but maybe the realtime grading in Speedgrade is a miss from controls? The layering of looks seems like a good idea as well. I'll probably take it for a spin at some point, but I had no idea people don't like it as you say. I do hope they stick their FrameCycler tech into After Effects and fix the lame RAM playback that AE has. That seems like the perfect place for framecycler...

BigHache
02-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Just as 'an' point...
http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php

Pretty large forums. The last post in the SpeedGrade forum is Sept last year. Resolve forum, yesterday. I'm sure SpeedGrade has a place but I needed a solution now, not a solution that will become great--which is the vibe I'm getting at this moment. To each their own and like I've said I haven't opened it and since Resolve is the way to go for me right now. I doubt SpeedGrade will ever be run on my systems.

Sekhar
02-22-2013, 08:46 AM
SpeedGrade has a lot of potential, just the real-time playback is big winner IMO. I find myself doing even composites there vs. AE because of the smooth real-time. The plugins are great, so are the results with so many of the tools. If you have the CC subscription, definitely at least check it out...in fact, SpeedGrade was the most exciting product in the entire suite for me.

Unfortunately though the interface is a mess at this point, where you can't do even a simple thing like zoom/pan without some hidden shortcut. It doesn't even support tablets like Wacom, so you'll need to use a mouse. Several features just don't work well at this point, including a simple thing like rendering out to a format you need (like multi-pass renders). Apparently they're working on it, but I haven't seen an update in a while for a new addition.