PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Slice

Philbert
02-20-2013, 05:50 AM
With most tools in Modeler you can right-click to "drop" the tool while still keeping it active. I'm really liking the new Slice tool but it seems you can't do this. For example if I make one slice, then want to make another slice somewhere else on the model I have to completely drop the tool, then pick it again. Or am I missing a way to do this?

philthorn
02-20-2013, 06:58 AM
I find that I don't need to drop the tool. If the new slice area isn't adjacent to a previous cut it just starts over at the next selected point. If you need to you can always back-track over a previous cut to change your start as well.

Waves of light
02-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Yep, same as Philthorn... if you don't want to continue on with your slice, just RMB click on another point or edge.. and then continued to slice as normal.

Philbert
02-20-2013, 02:09 PM
There are some times when I can do that, but not always. Frequently I have a place like this one where that just won't work.

http://screencast.com/t/ZNa0sdMerLh

philthorn
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
I those cases (large convex corners) just go ahead and click the next point then CTRL-z or CMD-z to undo that corner span and continue on - Undo doesn't drop the tool but seems to break the connection. Either way I think you are right that it needs to be consistent with the other tools and drop but remain active on Right-Click. I actually think this is worthy of a bug report since the tool by definition shouldn't try to span the corner and cut geometry that doesn't exist.

Philbert
02-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the Undo tip that does help some, but it's still a pain in some other circumstances.

philthorn
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the Undo tip that does help some, but it's still a pain in some other circumstances.

You're welcome and - Agreed!

-Phil

Philbert
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
BTW I switched my Undo and Redo back to U and Shift+U like I usually do so that makes things a little easier even, only one key to press.

Philbert
02-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Another thing with slice is that I'm really having trouble selecting certain points. I move the mouse all around near fit and it just doesn't want to highlight. Or sometimes it does but I mouse the mouse a fraction of a millimeter and lose it.

Edit: A sort of work around for this is to use Wireframe or Color Wireframe mode. If you select the poly you want to work on it turns red and appears sort of solid, even Wireframe mode.

Waves of light
02-21-2013, 02:04 AM
I see what you mean Phil. In that video even though the tool is working correctly, you can't drop it using the 'select another edge' method above.

Excellent tips/workarounds ppl. May want to raise this as a bug request.

dee
02-21-2013, 02:38 AM
There are some times when I can do that, but not always. Frequently I have a place like this one where that just won't work.

http://screencast.com/t/ZNa0sdMerLh

Use the Line Pen not Slice.

Waves of light
02-21-2013, 02:42 AM

Sweet. That works a treat Dee.

Philbert
02-21-2013, 03:52 AM
I'll have to give that try. I hadn't even realized that Line Pen could cut geometry, I thought it was just for creating new geometry.

hrgiger
02-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah the slice tool has a few basic problems I'd like to see resolved. The right-click to start a new edge would be one of them. I would also like to see the ability to click on an edge and slide your point over the edge before you commit. The other annoying thing is the snapping. While the snapping is obviously a good function in a lot of cases, I've found that when zooming in too close, I can't snap anywhere too close to a point or it snaps there instead of where I want it. I would like to see snapping work relative to the amount of zoom. Besides that, I have found it more reliable then add edges and have not yet got the error I sometimes get with add edges (countour error). I also love the display mode that becomes active when you activate slice with the larger vertices and model smoothing.

philthorn
02-21-2013, 10:11 AM

Works for me on points but not edges. Anyone else try it?

Update: It's also creating non-planer polys when using the line tool to slice a polygon.

Philbert
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Do you have Edge mode enabled with those HUD buttons that pop up? It looks like only Vertex, Edge, and Edge Center work for cutting. The others create a separate 2-point poly.

philthorn
02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
I do have edge mode on. I'll try again later. Thanks.

philthorn
02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I also had edge centers on but wasn't trying to cut from centers. :-)

Looks like a useable solution for now!