PDA

View Full Version : scene editor search?

Svenart
02-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi,

Im currently working on a very large scene with hundreds of objects, and sometimes have problems to find the object Im looking for in scene editor.

Im now thinking about to write a small lscript where you can enter a name to search for and the script will give you a list of objects to select from.

But before I start with this, I wanted to ask If someone here knows a tool that is already doing that?

If not, would that be interesting for you, too?

nickdigital
02-20-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't know of a tool that currently does that. There's the "Current Item" window. It's the button to the left of Properties and to the right of the item list. You can put in a search in there.

But if you come up with something better count me as interested.

bobakabob
02-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Svenart, Search would be very useful, I've often wondered why it isn't available to save scrolling through sometimes huge lists of items.

Svenart
02-20-2013, 02:05 AM
thanks for your feedback.

the "current item" window is very nice and helpful. I really would like to have all this options (search, sort) in the scene editor.

Lewis
02-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Hmm are we speaking of OLD scene editor or what ?

My scene editor has "find" input filed on top of it's window and when i type in letters it filters/finds my item(s) just fine.

Granted sorting A-Z / Z-A, Last/First added would be great too.

sami
02-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Yes, Lewis is right - the Scene/Dope Editor has a great little searchy/filtery thing already built in at the top there and even lets you save selection sets. It sounds like exactly what you want.

This is where 2 monitors really helps productivity - When in Layout I have the Scene /dope editor open in the other monitor as a item selector, keyframe checker, and mass property changer.

3DGFXStudios
02-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Yea the find function is really nice. The selection sets in the (new) scene editor are also very handy when working on big scenes.

Svenart
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
oops...

ok, maybe its really time to use the new scene editor now.... thanks for the help...

Ryan Roye
02-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Also, the Lightwave layout functions "Select Item by name" and "Select Item by Partial Name" are extremely handy too. I like the fact that these functions select even locked items, because sometimes I don't want to bother with the scene editor to be able to pick something that is locked!