PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Based Realtime Presets inside LightWave

OnlineRender
02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/13205_571069906250692_1296828153_n.jpg

we tested a method today using dropbox and lightwave presets, essentially what you do is download dropbox install it on your computer , you will get invite from ourselves which will include the folder Lightwave_community_presets . you then change your preset path in Lightwave to the dropbox folder and whalla realtime sharing and presets direct inside Layout.

Benefits _ You can save the preset direct in layout and it will sync with all other users
We run backups every 24hrs so the preset repository is safe.
Be notified when someone adds a preset
Realtime Preset Updates ...
away from your main machine and need your files , no problem use dropbox.
Invite Only

Disadvantages .... anybody with account access can delete or rename a preset however as mentioned we backup the folder and if they break the rules will get kicked.
It was solid and stable Layout held up even when people where adding presets however would you use it in production ?

we admit its probably not the best method and dont forget presetcentral.com however its pretty cool watching presets being added by another user inside layout and we have the security of using dropbox, we are working on something that should make it a lot more fluent and user friendly with write permissions...

http://lightwiki.com/dropwave invite only atm

COBRASoft
02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Windows Azure Blob Storage would be handy for this, and cheap too for many GB's... DropBox is fine too, and free for a certain amount. What happens if you have an account but can't 'download' all the presets available?

OnlineRender
02-18-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't know if I fully understand what you mean , why would not be able to download all the files? We where throwing 70 presets around from folder to folder and layout handled it perfect as far as light wave is concerned the preset path is just another folder on your system , it has no indication that this a networked drive "so too speak" it was sweet I started my machine Dropbox updated the files opened layout and there was new presets inside layout ready to rock ... You can always just download them copy them over to your hdd and change the path again... It works amazing , i believe lw3d should have something like this as standard and I reckon they can build it pretty good

COBRASoft
02-18-2013, 06:54 PM
I mean if the overall folder gets bigger than a users account allows. I agree LW3D should have something like this.

OnlineRender
02-18-2013, 06:58 PM
.pst file average at 41k that's a lot of presets to max out Dropbox however its a good point ,we looked into sky drive and FTP ...

ivanze
02-18-2013, 08:49 PM
2GB is Free in Dropbox and that is a lot of presets I guess. :)

And I just found out that after registering my Samsung Galaxy Phone, Dropbox gave me 50gb free for 2 years.

Nice idea OnlineRender, just sent my email to register. Thank you.

Doctor49152
02-18-2013, 10:33 PM
wow! This take the dropbox tip I put up yesterday to a whole new genius level!!

Also if you are running a windows OS (vista or better) you can create a symbolic link to the shared dropbox folder and have all these shared presets put into your regular presets folder.

tayotain2
02-19-2013, 05:00 AM

- User presets are saved to LW's config folder (default C:\Users\<user>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5\presets\)
- Custom presets are saved to Dropbox lightwave_community_presets folder.

Only custom presets will be shared. :)

OnlineRender
02-19-2013, 07:31 AM
2GB is Free in Dropbox and that is a lot of presets I guess. :)

And I just found out that after registering my Samsung Galaxy Phone, Dropbox gave me 50gb free for 2 years.

Nice idea OnlineRender, just sent my email to register. Thank you.

The idea is not mine I just help test it and built the lightwiki page for users to signup quickly the idea belongs to Mikko