PDA

View Full Version : VPR workflow issue

Simon-S
02-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I really like how quick VPR is for instant feedback when texturing however it really slows down my workflow if I am testing model changes by flipping between modeller and layout.

If I make a change to my mesh in modeller (maybe creating a morph or just pulling some points around) but don't want to save because I want to see how it looks in layout I flip between the two no problem, but if I have VPR running and flip from layout to modeller it tells me I can't undo. I then have to go about reloading my last save etc etc which really slows down the whole workflow.

Is this a know issue? If so it would be great so see a fix somewhere along the line.

Sanchon
02-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Why not disable VPR before going to modeler ? You can make key shortcut to VPR for fast switching between on and off state.

Snosrap
02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
but if I have VPR running and flip from layout to modeller it tells me I can't undo. You know I have run into this too - I think. :) I don't think it is related to VPR though because I was running into the issue while I was running cloth simulations. To avoid the issue I just never saved my cloth object (risky) until I was satisfied with my simulation. I think it's a bug.

dwburman
02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that modeler can no longer undo after switching to layout and going back again. I also don't think it is VPR related.

Incidentally, I think ctrl-F9 toggles VPR on and off.

MSherak
02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
It's cause even with the hub off Layout and Modeler still talk to each other if they have the same model loaded. So changes in one update in the other.

Nicolas Jordan
02-18-2013, 08:55 PM
I never even tried switching back and forth from Layout to modeler and back again with out first turning off VPR. I just always assumed doing things like this will create a much higher risk for a crash.

adk
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
You know I have run into this too - I think. :) I don't think it is related to VPR though because I was running into the issue while I was running cloth simulations. To avoid the issue I just never saved my cloth object (risky) until I was satisfied with my simulation. I think it's a bug.

Just tested this in & that's what I thought too ... Changed some geometry in modeler (not saved anything) & while running VPR the model gets updated.
I can go back to modeler tho & undo all the changes, then back in layout the changes will undo as well, just take a little while to refresh.

You could try running Layout & Modeller (with separate shortcuts) in isolated mode I guess, with the -i switch.

Snosrap
02-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Just tested this in & that's what I thought too ... Changed some geometry in modeler (not saved anything) & while running VPR the model gets updated.
I can go back to modeler tho & undo all the changes, then back in layout the changes will undo as well, just take a little while to refresh.

You could try running Layout & Modeller (with separate shortcuts) in isolated mode I guess, with the -i switch.

Yeah, if I save my object in Modeler and switch to Layout and then go back to Modeler I lose the ability to undo. If I don't save the object and just go to Layout the item updates just fine and when I go back to Modeler I can still undo any changes made earlier. Seems to act up only when I am running cloth sims though.

BeeVee
02-19-2013, 01:37 AM
If you have a mouse with more than two buttons and the scroll wheel third button, I recommend setting one of the additional buttons as a switch for VPR. As Dana pointed out, the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-F9, so the button that's used for "Back" on my Logitech mouse now turns VPR on and off in Layout (and also deselects all geometry in Modeler). SetPoint, Logitech's mouse/keyboard driver has the ability to set different button presses for programs individually so you don't lose the ability to back up a page in your browser.

B

Simon-S
02-19-2013, 03:20 AM
Why not disable VPR before going to modeler ? You can make key shortcut to VPR for fast switching between on and off state.

Yep, tried that and just using VPR once and turning it off again still leaves modeller saying it cant undo.

Snosrap
02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Yep, tried that and just using VPR once and turning it off again still leaves modeller saying it cant undo.

Yeah, I don't think it is a VPR issue. Are you by chance running a Bullet sim?

Doctor49152
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
I remapped VPR to my ` key. Works like a dream and I never knock it accidentally like I did with my mouse.

Simon-S
02-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I don't think it is a VPR issue. Are you by chance running a Bullet sim?

No just a simple character mesh - unrigged. Certainly nothing fancy going on.