PDA

View Full Version : Move pivot point not "sticking".

richardk70
02-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi. LW 9.61 user.
I have this scene with an object with a door that swings open. Every time I change the door's pivot point, then save the scene, then go into Modeler and tweak the object, then go back into Layout, the pivot point of the door has reverted back to where it was before the moving of the pivot point. Even tasking away from LW to another application, then going back to LW, the Move Pivot has lost its position. Quite annoying. So I am constantly redoing the Move Pivot. I am sure I am missing something. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any and all help.

Dexter2999
02-18-2013, 10:24 AM
You should be using the Pivot tool in Modeler to change the pivot point.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but from what you have written, it doesn't come across that way.

Change the pivot point in Modeler. Then save the object.

richardk70
02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Dexter,
I thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I tried that and had problems with every layer in the object (many layered object) shifting as a result of moving the pivot point for one layer, so I did not pursue that in Modelere. But perhaps if I separate out this specific part, make them their own object, and change the pivot point in Modeler just for that object, that will be the solution. Thank you, Dexter.

dave_paige
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
My guess would be that if you change an objects pivot point in Layout you would need to save the object, not just the scene, to have that "stick"

Dave

Danner
02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
I find layout move pivot much more reliable than the tool in modeler. Before moving any pivots, make sure scale, position and rotation are zeroed out, then turn on autokey, and in frame 0 move the pivot point. Change to move or rotate to avoid moving it accidentally. save the scene. Should work. No object saving necessary.

Mastoy
02-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Actually when you load an object in Layout, it "freezes" the position of its pivot point, no matter what you do next in modeler.
It has bothered me for years until I recently saw this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdQmqin1J4

Everything you need to know is here :)

cresshead
02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
changing 1 layers pivot point in modeler can result in all other pivots moving maybe if they are parented in modeler maybe?