PDA

View Full Version : TC40 with Canon XA10 over long distance?

dwiegert
02-18-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best way to output from a Canon XA10 to the TC40. First setup I tried was using HDMI out through a pair of CAT5 baluns, then going through a converter box HDMI>Component, then into the TriCaster. That setup failed, figured out the problem to be the converter box. Should I instead use a pair of Component baluns?

Buddy.Hannon
02-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Why not just come out of the Component Output?

JPulera
02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
How far is "a long distance"? I've used 1080i cameras over 100' component cables and looked great on TC. Low-cost component cables at www.monoprice.com

Thanks

Jeff

PIZAZZ
02-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Oh the days when I thought "long distance" meant a really long 100' run... 1000' fiber spools sure change the way you think about running cable. change where you need to setup. change lots of things.

Only wish we didn't have to strap on SDI to YUV converters to use fiber and the cheaper HD cameras along with the TC 40.

To the original poster...

You could probably save money by using HDMI to SDI converters on your cameras and then converting the SDI back to YUV at the TriCaster. You can run SDI (with quality cable) up to 300' comfortably.

dwiegert
04-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Sorry I know it's an old post. I tried setting up a system to HDMI over Cat5 Baluns that didn't work as I had hoped. I used a HDMI to YUV converter box I bought off of NewEgg but it wouldn't take the signal from the camera. We tested the baluns and they worked without issue. Maybe SDI is the way to go. I'm working with distances around 200-300'

inforum
04-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Maybe SDI is the way to go.
In my experience... SDI is ALWAYS the way to go.

HDMI just seems to cause more problems than the cost savings it might provide.

TakeOneDigital
04-30-2013, 01:00 AM
My science background usually tells me that the simplest solution is the best solution. Why not just use cheap component-to-cat5 baluns? I have a couple sets and they worked great before I went pure SDI. A few hundred feet was no problem and no converters are necessary on either end for you. I used these (and still have them):

http://www.markertek.com/CATV-Headend-Interface/CAT-5-Transmission-Systems/Component-Video-Over-CAT5/Intelix/AVO-V3AD-F.xhtml