PDA

View Full Version : Adobe After Effetcs, Video Copilot Sure Target & LW 11.5

COBRASoft
02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi,

I would like to use Sure Target of Video Copilot within After Effects and bring that camera motion into LightWave. It seems the rotation/orientation is giving me problems of After Effects. The 'send layer to LW' command seems to neglect the orientation of my camera, baked with Sure Target.

Any1 has an how to fix this?

Greetings,
Sigurd

jeric_synergy
02-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Sorry I misread that:

Is Sure Target an 'active' plugin, or once it bakes is it done? If it's creating regular keyframes there's no difference between that camera and any other keyframed 3D camera in AE.

Perhaps it's using the 2point (targeted) camera in AE?? Then you might have to bake out the target too, and target that in LW. Is there any rotation of the AE camera?

COBRASoft
02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Once baked, Sure Target is done. I select the baked camera and export it to LW. Unfortunately, in LW, the camera has no rotation, but it has Orientation in AE. Everything is keyframed (per frame) in AE.

jeric_synergy
02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Check the camera targeting in AE: there's 2 different systems. The camera target (they don't use that nomenclature) may be on and animated.

Perhaps it would be possible to child an AE null to the camera, bake that out, and parent the LW camera to that.

COBRASoft
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
I've tried that, no go. I also tried 'Bake Parented Transform' from aescripts. Works for the baking, but the measurements between AE and LW seem to be off.

If something like Sure Target would exist for LW, my problems would be solved :). That plugin is so handy for fast placement, rotation, camera roll, dolly, inertia, ...

COBRASoft
02-17-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.vfxwizard.com/software/lightwave-to-after-effects-exporter.html, read the hot news... A new version is coming. Hopefully this will solve my problems since I own that plugin :).

jeric_synergy
02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Have you successfully xported a regular AE 3D camera out to LW yet?

COBRASoft
02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
From the moment rotations are involved, the system does an awfull job, even with regular AE 3D cameras :(.

I've been searching for an MDD or FBX exporter from AE, but haven't found something usefull either. I'm wondering how other people get this stuff done with LW (or any other package for that matter).

jeric_synergy
02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
The 2 tracks I did, from handheld cameras, worked fine.

MDD and FBX are TMK both point displacement plugins. I'm rather behind in AE tech: when do you get point displacement in AE?

COBRASoft
02-17-2013, 08:49 PM
No idea actually, I'm not a master in AE myself. I just know that Sure Target is very simple in use :).
I know LW can read MDD and FBX, so I was hoping to solve it that way. Perhaps some AE/LW genius can come in here and explain his/her secret.

jeric_synergy
02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
No idea actually, I'm not a master in AE myself. I just know that Sure Target is very simple in use :).
I know LW can read MDD and FBX, so I was hoping to solve it that way. Perhaps some AE/LW genius can come in here and explain his/her secret.
This looks like a job for Jen.

+++
I'll be damned if i can see a way to START an account at Video CoPilot.....

raw-m
02-18-2013, 03:16 AM
COBRASoft, use the AE3D_Export script instead (the one from AEhancer, or what ever it's called!), keeping all the settings at default. Then Load Item from Scene. Just ran it on a baked camera and worked like a treat!

I've noticed that the LW script sends through Focal Length keys but the AE3D_Export script doesn't, so be mindful of that. Also, the AE3D_Export script defaults to the Classic Camera in LW. All in all, the LW script is much better minus the Orientation not being converted, something for NT to work on.

A ST functionality in LW would be great! Looking forward to AE Link update too!

jeric_synergy
02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
I think it's important to get at the root of the issue here: is it that ROTATION keys are being xferred to LW, but ORIENTATION keys are not?