PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

peteb
11-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Firstly is there a way that you can get open GL to support more then one layer in Model and Layout. I want to see placements of textures on the second and maybe even third layer of a surface and so far can't find an option to do this, so I have to just keep shuffling the layers around which is a bit crap really.

And also is it just me or is the texture guide designed really badly. I've been trying to move it around in perspective view, I've worked out how to scale it and kind of worked out how to move it. But rotating it just seems to be luck of the draw, and when I do hit the magic button it doesn't seem to eager to respond. Why couldn't they have just put simple arrows to represent things? Please can you get this sorted Newtek cause at the moment it's a bit...well poo.

Axis3d
11-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Modeler and Layout only show the top image map when texture mapping. If you have 4 image maps on one surface, only the top one is visible in OpenGL. In the Texture Editor panel, instead of shuffling them around, you can easily uncheck all the ones you don't want to edit, then check them back on when you are done.

Regarding Texture Guide. After you select Texture Guide, make sure you have the Numeric Panel open (n). I always have this open in Modeler as it allows you to precisely adjust settings. If you need to scale, position, or rotate your texture, you can easily select the Rotate tab, for instance, then scrub through the H, P, or B to get precise placements. The Numeric panel for Texture Guide also has a Surface selector so you can pick your surface name, adjust it, then move on to the next surface name, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, 'hit the magic button', but, after you are done adjusting, just hit the Enter key to keep the settings. This should be immediate, with no waiting. If there is a long lag time after you do this, then I'm not sure what that could be.

Mylenium
11-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Check you display options in Layout! You may want to turn on "Show current texture editor layer" ;o). This still will only use the color channel and no procedurals, but it's better than nothing.

Texture guide is useless, but that's a known fact *grin*.

Mylenium

peteb
11-06-2003, 03:42 AM
Sorry when I said "hit the magic button" I meant in a phrase term not a literal term. I knew about the numeric panel and agree that it's useful but I like to be as interactive as I can with software, we are artist after all and I just find having to use scroll arrows all the time a bit of a pain. Although obviously when you want a precise measurement then it's great.

I hope Newtek sort out the layers thing I really see that as a necessity. Trying to line two textures up on the same surface is a real pain with out it.

Also with UVs is there a way you can just select polys on your mesh and see them appear in the UV window, so it's almost like you're painting the texture onto the surface? So far all I can find is that you have to select the polys you want and then turn them into a UV. I looked at the UV spider thing quickly but that didn't really seem to do what I wanted.

Cheers for everyones help

munky
11-06-2003, 04:50 AM
This tip Originally posted by Jeremy Hardin might come in handy

TIP - PROCEDURAL IN OPENGL

There's a simple tip in the LW manual on how to view procedural textures in OpenGL (and spotlights requiring image maps.) using image maps and the image processing filter 'TextureFilter'. For those with LW 7 or greater, page 14.35.

regards

paul

peteb
11-06-2003, 05:12 AM
Paul is that just for proceduals though? As I'm using image maps.

munky
11-06-2003, 05:29 AM
I'd be lying if I said I knew. I was just passing on the tip that I remembered from a previous thread in case it was useful.

regards

paul

peteb
11-06-2003, 05:32 AM
No probs, still a useful thing to know, thanks for the info.