PDA

View Full Version : MotionMixer and expressions

Samba
03-04-2003, 02:33 AM
Has anyone got through this ? MotionMixer works pretty well unless it "forgets" expressions. Every expression I use whether in the graph editor or in the motion panel is inactive while using MotionMixer. Should I edit the motion ,pang !, expressions work.Then I restore it and they are inactive again.
My guess is that MotionMixer overwrites motion informations in layout, which informations are needed by expressions...
The idea is to make expressions work with channels driven by MotionMixer. Has anyone a clue ?

Thanks.

N.B: Maybe it's only a problem with "my" MotionMixer !
I'm working with LW 7.5 on Windows 2000

bradenbickle
04-18-2003, 09:46 PM
I don't think it is just your problem. I have had very similar problems.

I have been looking for solutions which is how I found your thread.

It's certainly not a windows issue because I am running OSX

Larry, if you are out there, please help us out.

wesleym
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes!!!! I am having the exact same issues with Motion Mixer. I have been looking everywhere for a solution. Have you guys had any luck?

Samba
03-17-2006, 02:09 AM
Sorry but I gave up a long time ago ...
The only way I found out was to freeze the motions created by the expressions (one key each frame for each channel) before using them in Motion Mixer. But it's not really conveniant.

Good luck

evenflcw
03-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Motion Mixer does overwrite motion. So the basic idea seems to be to try and layer whatever you want and can ontop of Motion Mixers output. If you have expressions, apply them via the Expression Motion Modifier and make sure you place it below the MM_MotionDriver entry in the list of modifiers. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what will (except as already suggested above - baking).

Another recent discussion on the subject
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=324566

EDIT: Wesley startyed that one :) Sorry for repeating myself. I guess there's no real good solution to this problem.

peteb
03-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Sorry to Hijack this post a bit but I'm just trying out MM for the first time and I'm finding it a bit fuddly but I might be doing stuff wrong.

What I want to do is pretty simple. I have 3 different animations of a character doing different things. At the moment I'm having to render them all out seperatly in their relevant scene but it would be god to combine them all into one. So I thought I'd use MM and save out each one as an MM file and put them all together. My problem is that selecting all the items seems to be a real pain. Is there an easy way to select the character and all it's bones and add them in one go? I thought I could do this via the scene editor but when I go select all it just selects in the scene editor but not in the viewport. Also I have a few expressions driving the eyelids. Sometimes MM retains this info and sometimes it doesn't and I have no idea why?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks

Peter

prospector
03-17-2006, 12:41 PM
when selecting in scene seditor, I find that just highlighting isn't enough.
I have to then (after highlighting)click again and I see everything being added, and it will run down the list.

evenflcw
03-17-2006, 12:48 PM
LW can't select items of different types at the same time. That's a fact!* Send NT a feature request if you'd like to see it change! Personally I think this is LWs number one issue, because it is such a basic functionality.

Back to the problem at hand. Basically you have to do it one item type at a time. First select all items (nulls etc) then choose Actor Menu>Add Items, then select all bones and select Add Items again. Use Actor Menu>Edit Actor Map to verify that everything got added.

I'm not sure, but I believe MM doesn't acctually retain any info about ik, expressions or other modifiers. The only thing it keeps track of is keyframed animation! IK naturally layers ontop of and evaluates after that, so MM "works" with IK, just like IKBooster "works" with native IK. You should make sure anything else does the same where possible. Apparently in some cases you might not be able to get it to work. In those cases the modifiers simply aint coded with this in mind (they would need a flag simular to the afterik flag I guess) and LWs motion core is to poorly designed to be able to let the user do anything about it (I changed my mind, THIS is LWs number one issue! :))

*What Scene Editor is able to do is a different matter.

peteb
03-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Wow and I thought I was just being really stupid. That does seem pretty silly that it doesn't suppport these sort of things.

Pete B