PDA

View Full Version : NEW VIDEO: Modeling the M.A.C.O. in LightWave 11.5

ConjureBunny
02-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi guys!

I just wrapped up a new tutorial video on the new Modeling tools in LightWave 11.5.

Modeling the M.A.C.O. in LightWave 11.5 (http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/02/modeling-the-m-a-c-o-in-lightwave3d-11-5/) takes you through the process of creating a solid asset from concept art. 90% of the tools used in this video are only available in 11.5. So if you want to learn how to use all those shiny new 11.5 Modeler tools, here’s over 3 hours of tutorials, culminating in an asset for use in The Dark Reef video game!

This video details using the new Modeler tools in 11.5 to go from concept art to a mostly finished product, using an asset from the game, The Dark Reef.
We’ll use Straighten, PasteNew, PlaceMesh, EditEdges, Slice, LinePen, Chamfer, Transform, AxisScale, Align, Tweak, AxisRotate, MakePols, AxisTranslate, Thicken, the three new Align commands, and the Align to Plane and Restore Align duo.

Additionally, you’ll learn how to use combinations of new and old tools to do things like run cabling and pipes neatly across uneven surfaces faster than ever!

The download includes the concept art as well as the finished model, and 3 hours of narrated video.

Running Time: 3 hrs. 20 mins.

Resolution: 1280 x 800 pixels
Video Format: H.264 (.mov)
Level: Beginner - Intermediate

Enjoy!
-Chilton

Electrocaseal
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
dont quit your day job lol

ConjureBunny
02-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Well, the sad truth of the VFX industry right now is that most of the pros don't have all the time in the world to screw around with new tools, trying to figure out how to incorporate them into their workflow. This week we've seen several major layoffs, again.

Watching videos like the ones I'm making are how I've managed to dodge obsolescence.
Just reading manuals and watching the occasional YouTube video wouldn't have done it.

This video is probably on a beginner to intermediate level in terms of complexity, but only because I'm trying to keep it straightforward. I could have done some of this faster if I'd combined old and new tools, but that's really not the point. It's all about learning the new stuff and seeing it in action, so you know when you're doing something wrong, and when something is just the expected behavior. And it helps to know that the person teaching you something isn't just learning the tools as they go along. Half of the YouTube videos I've watched are "um... so... I don't know why it did that. Oh, maybe... um..." and that doesn't help a damned bit.

This will show you, definitively, how to use most of the tools quickly and efficiently. And I think it's a testament to 11.5's new Modeler features that I could build as much as I did ONLY using the new tools.

-Chilton

dwburman
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
It looks like a good tutorial to me. :D

:thumbsup:

GoatDude
02-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm about half way through and am enjoying it.

philthorn
02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Yep. Really nice to see the new tools utilized so much.

KevinL
02-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Pleased Customer :)

Spinland
02-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Downloading now. Note to anyone on the fence: the 25% off sale is good through tomorrow!

ConjureBunny
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Fantastic!

I'm glad these are helping people! And I'll revisit this model in an upcoming pt2, which is a much more advanced tutorial. I'll combine the hell out of old and new tools in that one, to finish the model, and I'll show how to rig it with Genoma in that video as well.

11.5 is officially my favorite version of LightWave, even beating 9.6 (which was my fav until this release).

-Chilton

dnch
02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
i dont want to come out as a douche but i need to say it
I dont think you should teach people how to model.. its ok to showcase new tools and i know that is the point of the tutorial but i havent seen such a bad model in quite some time,
this clearly couldnt be part of any game when those pipes have 20000 polygons, you dont have consistent edges and lot of areas will surely have smoothing broblems

and why do you use concept art if you dont even stay close to it ?

ConjureBunny
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi dnch,

First, you can say anything you want. The model at the end of this video is not the finished model. It's actually just the upper torso, sans arms, and doesn't include the ribbing, finished pipes, jets, detailing, or really much of anything. The point of the video is not "how do I model" it's "how do I use the new tools in 11.5".

This is absolutely part of a game. You can find it at TheDarkReef.com, and in a few hours episode 3 will be available to subscribers.

I use concept art as a starting point only. I try to draw some inspiration from it, but since I'm always on a deadline, I'd rather spend more of my time in Modeler and less of it on paper, so I sketch out the rough "concept" art, and go from there.

It's my model, and it's turning out like I wanted it to. The next part of this video will be an intermediate to advanced tutorial on cleanup, proper polygon flow for rigged characters in games, and will mix old and new tools more. I wanted to stick only to the new tools for the first video though, to help people understand how they work, and how you might use them.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
02-17-2013, 03:20 PM
and lot of areas will surely have smoothing problems

One note here: Unity doesn't support realtime Sub-D smoothing. Probably 90% of the cleanup I've had to do on "professional" models comes from artists not understanding the limitations of the game engines, and this is the #1 problem. If you do all your work in Sub-Ds, you'll end up with a nasty, useless model at the end.

That, or you'll have to resort to some last minute tool like a metaform subdivision so you can approximate what you'll get at the end.

Some things like tubes can be reduced easily using standard poly reduction algorithms like the ones in the Reduce Polygons tool in LW. But you can't reduce your entire mesh as easily, and if you depend on that to make a nice finished object, you'll have a lot of other problems.

-Chilton